Khojaly – a heartrending artistic inspiration – highlighted in Paris
In commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly Massacre, the French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) organised a visual art competition, open to anyone who felt inspired to participate, aimed at raising public awareness of this saddest episode in recent Azerbaijani history.
It also called for the peaceful resolution of the Armenian–Azerbaijani conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh, an end to the illegal occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh and its seven surrounding provinces, and the safe return of the estimated one million Azerbaijani refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) to their lands, TEAS told APA.
This competition was placed under the High-Patronage of Mr André Reichardt, Senator of the Bas-Rhin region, and Chairman of the France–Caucasus Group.
The Jury comprised the Paris-based Azerbaijani artist Asmar Narimanbekova; Jean-Pierre Allali, French journalist and writer, and on the other hand, for TEAS, by Sabina Rakcheyeva, Violinist and Cultural Advisor; Marie-Laetitia Gourdin, Director, TEAS France; and Eliza Pieter, Director, TEAS Strasbourg.
The awards reception took place on 16 March in Paris, in the atypical and unique salon Les Signatures, operated by the Press Club of France, before a gathering of over 60 participants comprising diplomats, politicians, artists and journalists. Selected from over 40 entries, 16 artworks were presented at that occasion, including paintings, drawings, sculptures and photographs, all of which represent the suffering of the Azerbaijani people and their hopes for peace.
Marie-Laetitia Gourdin, Director, TEAS France, commented: “With this art competition, we hope to draw the attention of opinion-leaders and civil society to the Khojaly Massacre, and convince these actors of the importance of engagement in the efforts to accelerate peaceful resolution of this conflict, based on the respect of international law, so that both Armenia and Azerbaijan can live in peace, as neighbours, in the near future.”
H.E. Elchin Amirbayov, Azerbaijani Ambassador to France, thanked TEAS for its initiative, and outlined how impressed he was by the artistic quality of the paintings and pictures selected. He also reminded the audience of the imperative to reach peaceful resolution to the conflict, respecting the principles of international law and the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. In that respect, the role of France is crucial, and it needs to take very concrete actions to accelerate the process, hopefully enabling Armenians and Azerbaijanis to peacefully coexist, as was previously the case.
Senator André Reichardt explained that he visited Azerbaijan a few days ago, with a delegation of seven French Senators, who went to see the Azerbaijani lands freed last April, after the so-called ‘Four-Day War’, and was horrified to see the appalling state of this territory, where all has been destroyed. On the other hand, he was impressed to see how keen Azerbaijanis are to return to these lands. He underlined the important role that members of the French parliament must play in diplomatic efforts to resolve the conflict, and recalled the proposal he made to the President of the French Senate, Mr Larcher, in the margins of the official visit to France of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, to host a meeting between MPs from Baku and Yerevan in the near future.
Jean-Pierre Allali, Member of the Jury, stated: “I am proud of being both a friend of Azerbaijan and a friend of Armenia, and that the armed conflict between these two countries is, for me, an ongoing tragedy. I believe that it is necessary to shed light on the dramas, such as that in Khojaly, brought about by this conflict, which is why I accepted to sit on the jury for artworks devoted to Khojaly.”
Asmar Narimanbekova, Member of the Jury, commented: “I was very honoured to be involved in this competition as a jury member. The artists who submitted their works to the competition all knew how to express their emotional responses to these dramatic events in a talented manner. The tragedy of Khojaly will never be forgotten, it is the pain of the Azerbaijani people.”
Both members of the jury announced the prize winners. First prize was awarded to Vugar Quliyev for his painting Libération. Vugar was born in the occupied city of Jabrayil, and is living in the city of Lyon where he studies art and regularly participates in exhibitions. Whilst receiving his prize, he commented: “I had to flee my home due to the invasion of the city by the Armenian armed forces during the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh. My painting is the direct reflection of this war, and this crime against peaceful citizens. It’s about evil chasing innocent souls who try to escape in the cold winter night.”
Despite the passing of four UN Security Council resolutions against the invasion, Armenia continues to occupy Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions to this day. Currently nearly 20 per cent of Azerbaijani territory remains occupied, and approximately one million refugees and IDPs are spread across Azerbaijan. The evening was dedicated to the memory of the Khojaly victims and those Azerbaijanis who have only one wish – to return to their homes and lands.
Khojaly Visual Art Competition – France, 2017
First prize – Libération by Vugar Quliyev
Second prize – Khojaly by Mehri Quiliyeva-Moghadam
Third prize – The loss of human face by Andrey Tyrtyshnikov
Jury Prize – Houses full of sadness by Maya Baghirova
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 13.07.2017German MP makes statement on killing of two-year-old Azerbaijani girl due to Armenian shelling
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani students hold protests in European countries
- 10.07.2017Karabakh tragedy brought to the steps of Armenian Embassy in London
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijanis protest outside UN headquarters against Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 28.06.2017All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress’s appeal to be considered in September
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No politicians in US administration to deal with Karabakh conflict resolution
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 18.05.2017Photo exhibition devoted to 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic opens in Paris
- 17.05.2017MP: Certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia
- 15.05.2017Russian Supreme Court liquidates registration of "All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress"
- 15.05.2017Ukrainian court: Claim that Dnipro assailants’ leader is an Azerbaijani can only be verified through investigated
- 12.05.2017Anti-Azerbaijani groups in Russia trying hard to liquidate AAC: State Committee
- 12.05.2017Russian court may decide on liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress on May 15
- 10.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in San Diego
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani appointed vice-president of People’s Assembly of Kazakhstan
- 25.04.2017Russian Justice Ministry asks court for time to investigate new documents submitted by All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijanis living in Ukraine appeal to Verkhovna Rada
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: We’re doing a lot to solve problems of Azerbaijanis living abroad
- 11.04.2017Hearing on lawsuit seeking to liquidate All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress postponed
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russia community expresses concern over possible liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russian community expresses protest over liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Serbian ambassador - UPDATED
- 04.04.2017UN chief’s possible participation in Baku Forum discussed in New York
- 16.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijanis rally in Paris in support to President Ilham Aliyev
- 09.03.2017Armenian provocation against Azerbaijan prevented in Moscow
- 09.03.2017Khojaly Commemoration Concert broadcast on London Live TV
- 06.03.2017Chairman of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress regional department dismissed
- 27.02.2017Armenian attempts to disrupt Khojaly commemoration concert in Paris backfire catastrophically
- 24.02.2017Chairman of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency to visit Baku
- 23.02.2017Khojaly – a tragic artistic inspiration – highlighted in Westminster Parliament
- 20.02.2017Provocative actions by Armenian lobby fail to disrupt Azerbaijan’s presentation at Los Angeles Travel and Adventure Show
- 15.02.2017President of Montenegro to attend 5th Global Baku Forum
- 13.02.2017Albanian president to attend 5th Global Baku Forum
- 08.02.2017Ukrainian president awards order to Azerbaijani military officer
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijan praised as 'Beacon of Religious Tolerance' following visit by children from Atlanta Jewish Academy
- 31.03.2017Russian Ministry of Justice appeals to Supreme Court for abolishment of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 03.04.2017State Committee comments on reports of liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 16.03.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan supports idea of conducting reforms in UN
- 16.03.2017Georgian president calls for condemnation of military aggression worldwide
- 16.03.2017UN does not justify hopes of peoples: Latvia’s ex-president