Karabakh Collection by Leonie Mergen represented Azerbaijani heritage at Berlin Fashion Week
An extraordinary event within the scope of the MERCEDES BENZ FASHION WEEK in Berlin took place on Wednesday, January 18th 2017 under the patronage and with the support of The European Azerbaijan Society Germany (TEAS).
The Berlin based young and fresh designer Leonie Mergen presented her new outstanding "Karabakh Collection" on the runway, which features the theme and the culture of Karabakh, an Azerbaijani region in the center of the South-Caucasus, TEAS told APA.
With the rich cultural heritage of Azerbaijan as her inspiration, Leonie released her current collection, a series of pieces inspired by the traditional attire of Azerbaijan’s Karabakh region. The ensembles feature patterns reminiscent of the country’s famous tapestries, with signature necklines and sleeved capes making an appearance in both menswear and womenswear clothing. Azerbaijan’s legacy as a hub on the historical Silk Road and as a leader in horse breeding can be seen in Leonie’s designs, with equestrian-influenced leather accessories and sophisticated silk elements playing an essential role in her collection.
In the presence of over 500 fashion industry professionals, fashion reporters and international guests the highly atmospheric show took place in historic Kaufhaus Jandorf in Berlin Mitte. The show started at 12.00 pm and lasted half an hour. The collection was presented on the catwalk in 26 distinct looks while traditional Azerbaijani Mugam and instrumental music was playing in the background. Leonie Mergen’s unusual and intercultural as well as technically skilled approach was highly appreciated by the attendees. The audience was enthusiastic and celebrated the Karabakh Collection which represents a further milestone in the The European Azerbaijan Society’s continuous efforts to raise awareness about the ongoing occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh by Armenian forces.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict was fought from 1988–94, between Azerbaijan and Armenia over Azerbaijani territory in the west of the country populated by both Azerbaijanis and ethnic Armenians.
However, the history of this dispute stretches back for centuries. As a result of this one-sided illegal invasion, Armenia still occupies Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding provinces, altogether about 20% of Azerbaijan’s territory, and nearly one million Azerbaijani refugees and internally displaced persons (IDP’s) have been forced out of their homes. Nagorno-Karabakh is universally recognised by the international community as being part of the sovereign territory of Azerbaijan. The United Nations Security Council condemned the ongoing occupation in four resolutions and called for the immediate withdrawal of the Armenian forces.
Tale Heydarov, Chairman and Founder of TEAS stated: "The Karabakh Collection is a very interesting project for TEAS, and we were happy to give Leonie Mergen, a young Berlin designer, the chance to present Azerbaijan inspired fashion to a worldwide audience and to support her during her inspirational journey through our country." Concerning Nagorno-Karabakh he continued: "A fashion collection with this degree of international coverage and attention helps a great deal to show to a wider public, that there is an occupied Azerbaijani region called Nagorno-Karabakh and that steps have to be undertaken to protect our national heritage in all areas of culture and civil society."
The fashion show was followed by a press get-together and resee where further details of the collection of Leonie Mergen were revealed.
- 17.03.2017Khojaly – a heartrending artistic inspiration – highlighted in Paris
- 16.03.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan supports idea of conducting reforms in UN
- 16.03.2017Georgian president calls for condemnation of military aggression worldwide
- 16.03.2017UN does not justify hopes of peoples: Latvia’s ex-president
- 16.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijanis rally in Paris in support to President Ilham Aliyev
- 09.03.2017Armenian provocation against Azerbaijan prevented in Moscow
- 09.03.2017Khojaly Commemoration Concert broadcast on London Live TV
- 06.03.2017Chairman of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress regional department dismissed
- 27.02.2017Armenian attempts to disrupt Khojaly commemoration concert in Paris backfire catastrophically
- 24.02.2017Chairman of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency to visit Baku
- 23.02.2017Khojaly – a tragic artistic inspiration – highlighted in Westminster Parliament
- 20.02.2017Provocative actions by Armenian lobby fail to disrupt Azerbaijan’s presentation at Los Angeles Travel and Adventure Show
- 15.02.2017President of Montenegro to attend 5th Global Baku Forum
- 13.02.2017Albanian president to attend 5th Global Baku Forum
- 31.12.2016World Azerbaijanis mark Solidarity Day
- 30.12.2016Azerbaijani diaspora often overpowers Armenia’s: committee chairman
- 28.12.2016Fazil Gurbanov: Expansion of ties with All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress offices in provinces is a priority
- 28.12.2016Ukrainian police suspend search for ‘Azov’ raiders, Azerbaijani businessmen say
- 28.12.2016New president elected to All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 28.12.2016Ali Hasanov: Moscow meeting will be significant milestone in history of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress - UPDATED
- 28.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress is of special importance
- 22.12.2016DVD set of Azerbaijan films released in Los Angeles
- 19.12.2016Nazarbayev awards Azerbaijani MP of Kazakh parliament
- 05.12.2016Next meeting of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress to be held on Dec. 28
- 01.12.2016Azerbaijanis establishing online center in Kiev for ethnic nationalities
- 18.11.2016Azerbaijani State Committee on Work with Diaspora to get new power over assistance to nationals living abroad
- 04.11.2016Armenian provocation prevented during Unity Day march in Moscow
- 02.11.2016Nazim Ibrahimov: All diaspora problems should not be shouldered on state
- 29.10.2016Ilham Aliyev congratulates Turkish president
- 26.10.2016ANU calls on OSCE not to remain indifferent to military aggression against Ukraine, Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2016Washington hosts conference on 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s independence
- 18.10.2016First World Forum of Azerbaijani businessmen postponed
- 17.10.2016Azerbaijan’s human rights record to be reviewed by UN Committee
- 14.10.2016Biola University of Los Angeles hosts event on Azerbaijan
- 30.09.2016MPs strongly object to police questioning of Azerbaijani diaspora head in Netherlands
- 29.09.2016Baku to host World Forum of Azerbaijani businessmen
- 22.09.2016Representatives of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meet with Bill Clinton
- 17.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Sabirabad
- 14.09.2016Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside Ukraine’s Interior Ministry in Kiev - UPDATED
- 30.01.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Azerbaijan-AJC cooperation will further develop
- 07.02.2017Azerbaijani businessman abducted in Ukraine released
- 08.02.2017Ukrainian president awards order to Azerbaijani military officer
- 12.01.2017President names body to provide social assistance to low-income Azerbaijanis living abroad
- 09.01.2017National Congress of Armenians of Ukraine: Azerbaijan’s occupied lands should be returned
- 05.01.2017Azerbaijani businessman, his children not allowed to leave separatist-controlled Ukrainian city