Karabakh Collection by Leonie Mergen represented Azerbaijani heritage at Berlin Fashion Week
An extraordinary event within the scope of the MERCEDES BENZ FASHION WEEK in Berlin took place on Wednesday, January 18th 2017 under the patronage and with the support of The European Azerbaijan Society Germany (TEAS).
The Berlin based young and fresh designer Leonie Mergen presented her new outstanding "Karabakh Collection" on the runway, which features the theme and the culture of Karabakh, an Azerbaijani region in the center of the South-Caucasus, TEAS told APA.
With the rich cultural heritage of Azerbaijan as her inspiration, Leonie released her current collection, a series of pieces inspired by the traditional attire of Azerbaijan’s Karabakh region. The ensembles feature patterns reminiscent of the country’s famous tapestries, with signature necklines and sleeved capes making an appearance in both menswear and womenswear clothing. Azerbaijan’s legacy as a hub on the historical Silk Road and as a leader in horse breeding can be seen in Leonie’s designs, with equestrian-influenced leather accessories and sophisticated silk elements playing an essential role in her collection.
In the presence of over 500 fashion industry professionals, fashion reporters and international guests the highly atmospheric show took place in historic Kaufhaus Jandorf in Berlin Mitte. The show started at 12.00 pm and lasted half an hour. The collection was presented on the catwalk in 26 distinct looks while traditional Azerbaijani Mugam and instrumental music was playing in the background. Leonie Mergen’s unusual and intercultural as well as technically skilled approach was highly appreciated by the attendees. The audience was enthusiastic and celebrated the Karabakh Collection which represents a further milestone in the The European Azerbaijan Society’s continuous efforts to raise awareness about the ongoing occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh by Armenian forces.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict was fought from 1988–94, between Azerbaijan and Armenia over Azerbaijani territory in the west of the country populated by both Azerbaijanis and ethnic Armenians.
However, the history of this dispute stretches back for centuries. As a result of this one-sided illegal invasion, Armenia still occupies Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding provinces, altogether about 20% of Azerbaijan’s territory, and nearly one million Azerbaijani refugees and internally displaced persons (IDP’s) have been forced out of their homes. Nagorno-Karabakh is universally recognised by the international community as being part of the sovereign territory of Azerbaijan. The United Nations Security Council condemned the ongoing occupation in four resolutions and called for the immediate withdrawal of the Armenian forces.
Tale Heydarov, Chairman and Founder of TEAS stated: "The Karabakh Collection is a very interesting project for TEAS, and we were happy to give Leonie Mergen, a young Berlin designer, the chance to present Azerbaijan inspired fashion to a worldwide audience and to support her during her inspirational journey through our country." Concerning Nagorno-Karabakh he continued: "A fashion collection with this degree of international coverage and attention helps a great deal to show to a wider public, that there is an occupied Azerbaijani region called Nagorno-Karabakh and that steps have to be undertaken to protect our national heritage in all areas of culture and civil society."
The fashion show was followed by a press get-together and resee where further details of the collection of Leonie Mergen were revealed.
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 12.09.2017Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
- 07.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev bestows Friendship Order upon Mammadali Aghayev
- 31.08.2017Poignant peaceful protest infuriates Armenians
- 21.08.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: VAK liquidation causes discontent among Azerbaijanis in Russia
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 13.07.2017German MP makes statement on killing of two-year-old Azerbaijani girl due to Armenian shelling
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani students hold protests in European countries
- 10.07.2017Karabakh tragedy brought to the steps of Armenian Embassy in London
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijanis protest outside UN headquarters against Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 28.06.2017All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress’s appeal to be considered in September
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No politicians in US administration to deal with Karabakh conflict resolution
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 18.05.2017Photo exhibition devoted to 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic opens in Paris
- 17.05.2017MP: Certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia
- 15.05.2017Russian Supreme Court liquidates registration of "All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress"
- 15.05.2017Ukrainian court: Claim that Dnipro assailants’ leader is an Azerbaijani can only be verified through investigated
- 12.05.2017Anti-Azerbaijani groups in Russia trying hard to liquidate AAC: State Committee
- 12.05.2017Russian court may decide on liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress on May 15
- 10.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in San Diego
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani appointed vice-president of People’s Assembly of Kazakhstan
- 25.04.2017Russian Justice Ministry asks court for time to investigate new documents submitted by All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijanis living in Ukraine appeal to Verkhovna Rada
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: We’re doing a lot to solve problems of Azerbaijanis living abroad
- 11.04.2017Hearing on lawsuit seeking to liquidate All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress postponed
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russia community expresses concern over possible liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 30.01.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Azerbaijan-AJC cooperation will further develop
- 07.02.2017Azerbaijani businessman abducted in Ukraine released
- 08.02.2017Ukrainian president awards order to Azerbaijani military officer
- 12.01.2017President names body to provide social assistance to low-income Azerbaijanis living abroad
- 09.01.2017National Congress of Armenians of Ukraine: Azerbaijan’s occupied lands should be returned
- 05.01.2017Azerbaijani businessman, his children not allowed to leave separatist-controlled Ukrainian city