Georgian president calls for condemnation of military aggression worldwide
Military aggression must be condemned worldwide, and there is a need to believe in international law in order to maintain global peace and harmony in the world, said President of Georgia Giorgi Margvelashvili.
He made the remarks addressing a panel discussion entitled “The Future of International Relations”, held as part of the Fifth Global Baku Forum on March 16.
“After the occupation of Georgia’s territory, the same thing happened to Crimea. That’s also the situation faced by Ukraine now. Such cases are a threat to all countries. We should condemn military aggression and not turn a blind eye to it. If we want to maintain global peace and harmony in the world, we must believe in international law,” added Margvelashvili.
"Going back to 30 years ago to have a look at our thinking about the future of the world, we will see that our thoughts were more optimistic," said Georgia’s leader. "We thought the end of “cold war" would bring more opportunities, peace, and cooperation. But the world we’re witnessing today has terrorism, massacres, and wars.”
Margvelashvili noted that Georgia has become a partner in global security and stability.
"We believe in international cooperation. We are taking part in missions in Afghanistan and Africa. Part of Georgia's territory has been occupied by its neighbor, Russia, a powerful nuclear country. Our country is contributing to global security, but at the same time it’s suffering while doing so,” he added.
The president went on to say that Georgia offers Azerbaijan and Turkey open partnership and are ready for future development projects.
Related news releases
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 12.09.2017Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
- 07.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev bestows Friendship Order upon Mammadali Aghayev
- 31.08.2017Poignant peaceful protest infuriates Armenians
- 21.08.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: VAK liquidation causes discontent among Azerbaijanis in Russia
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 13.07.2017German MP makes statement on killing of two-year-old Azerbaijani girl due to Armenian shelling
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani students hold protests in European countries
- 10.07.2017Karabakh tragedy brought to the steps of Armenian Embassy in London
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijanis protest outside UN headquarters against Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 28.06.2017All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress’s appeal to be considered in September
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No politicians in US administration to deal with Karabakh conflict resolution
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 18.05.2017Photo exhibition devoted to 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic opens in Paris
- 17.05.2017MP: Certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia
- 15.05.2017Russian Supreme Court liquidates registration of "All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress"
- 15.05.2017Ukrainian court: Claim that Dnipro assailants’ leader is an Azerbaijani can only be verified through investigated
- 12.05.2017Anti-Azerbaijani groups in Russia trying hard to liquidate AAC: State Committee
- 12.05.2017Russian court may decide on liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress on May 15
- 10.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in San Diego
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani appointed vice-president of People’s Assembly of Kazakhstan
- 25.04.2017Russian Justice Ministry asks court for time to investigate new documents submitted by All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijanis living in Ukraine appeal to Verkhovna Rada
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: We’re doing a lot to solve problems of Azerbaijanis living abroad
- 11.04.2017Hearing on lawsuit seeking to liquidate All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress postponed
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russia community expresses concern over possible liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russian community expresses protest over liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Serbian ambassador - UPDATED
- 04.04.2017UN chief’s possible participation in Baku Forum discussed in New York
- 03.04.2017State Committee comments on reports of liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 31.03.2017Russian Ministry of Justice appeals to Supreme Court for abolishment of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 09.03.2017Armenian provocation against Azerbaijan prevented in Moscow
- 09.03.2017Khojaly Commemoration Concert broadcast on London Live TV
- 06.03.2017Chairman of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress regional department dismissed
- 16.03.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan supports idea of conducting reforms in UN
- 17.03.2017Khojaly – a heartrending artistic inspiration – highlighted in Paris
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijan praised as 'Beacon of Religious Tolerance' following visit by children from Atlanta Jewish Academy
- 16.03.2017UN does not justify hopes of peoples: Latvia’s ex-president
- 16.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijanis rally in Paris in support to President Ilham Aliyev