French city Colmar to host cultural events dedicated to Azerbaijan
Baku – APA. The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS), in co-operation with the Mayor’s Office in Colmar, are organising a series of cultural events in Colmar from 7–12 September 2015, TEAS told APA.
On 7 September, the quartet led by Emil Afrasiyab, a major artist and one of the leading exponents amongst the younger generation of Azerbaijani jazz musicians, will participate in the opening of the 20th edition of the Festival de Jazz de Colmar. The concert will be broadcast live on local TV channel TV7.
In his compositions, this outstanding pianist combines jazz with elements of mugham, a highly complex traditional Azerbaijani musical genre that is predominantly improvised. His reputation was initially established in his homeland, but his career path changed when he won the Public Prize at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 2011. The three remaining members of his quartet are talented French musicians – Raphaël Pannier (drums), Antoine Katz (bass) and Alexandre Madeline (tenor saxophone). The concert follows Emil’s acclaimed performance in two French festivals this year – the Festival Jazz à Saint-Germain des Prés Paris and Sunnyside at Reims.
From 8–12 September 2015, TEAS will present the exhibition Azerbaijan Through the Lens at the Pôle Média Culture Edmond Gerrer. The exhibition brings together 30 stunning photographs of Azerbaijan. It provides an invaluable opportunity for the population of Colmar to discover the different facets of this country, which is located between the Caucasus Mountains and the Caspian Sea and combines elements of the Orient and the West in terms of its landscapes, culture and architecture.
These photographs are the fruit of a competition organised by TEAS in 2012, having been selected from around 750 submissions from both amateur and professional photographers located across the world. The jury comprised the world-renowned photographer Henry Dallal – best-known for his photographs of Queen Elizabeth II – and Caroline Metcalfe, Photographic Director for Condé Nast Traveller magazine.
TEAS has also said that a charter of friendship and co-operation was signed between the town of Colmar and the Azerbaijani town of Sheki on 19 May. This charter serves to officialise the amicable relationship between the towns that dates back to 2013.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 12.09.2017Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
- 30.07.2015Nikolayev's Vice-Governor: “We are ready to provide support to erect monument on Khojaly genocide”
- 20.08.2015Azerbaijani businessman, diaspora activist goes missing in Ukraine
- 31.08.2015Abbas Abbasov steps down from Azerros
- 24.07.2015“Yerevan city. How was Turkic-Islamic existence destroyed” book by Nazim Mustafa published in Ankara
- 21.07.2015President Ilham Aliyev: "We need to bring to the world the truth about Azerbaijan"
- 09.07.2015Former Azerbaijani deputy of Luhansk regional council killed
Top news of the day