French city Colmar to host cultural events dedicated to Azerbaijan
Baku – APA. The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS), in co-operation with the Mayor’s Office in Colmar, are organising a series of cultural events in Colmar from 7–12 September 2015, TEAS told APA.
On 7 September, the quartet led by Emil Afrasiyab, a major artist and one of the leading exponents amongst the younger generation of Azerbaijani jazz musicians, will participate in the opening of the 20th edition of the Festival de Jazz de Colmar. The concert will be broadcast live on local TV channel TV7.
In his compositions, this outstanding pianist combines jazz with elements of mugham, a highly complex traditional Azerbaijani musical genre that is predominantly improvised. His reputation was initially established in his homeland, but his career path changed when he won the Public Prize at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 2011. The three remaining members of his quartet are talented French musicians – Raphaël Pannier (drums), Antoine Katz (bass) and Alexandre Madeline (tenor saxophone). The concert follows Emil’s acclaimed performance in two French festivals this year – the Festival Jazz à Saint-Germain des Prés Paris and Sunnyside at Reims.
From 8–12 September 2015, TEAS will present the exhibition Azerbaijan Through the Lens at the Pôle Média Culture Edmond Gerrer. The exhibition brings together 30 stunning photographs of Azerbaijan. It provides an invaluable opportunity for the population of Colmar to discover the different facets of this country, which is located between the Caucasus Mountains and the Caspian Sea and combines elements of the Orient and the West in terms of its landscapes, culture and architecture.
These photographs are the fruit of a competition organised by TEAS in 2012, having been selected from around 750 submissions from both amateur and professional photographers located across the world. The jury comprised the world-renowned photographer Henry Dallal – best-known for his photographs of Queen Elizabeth II – and Caroline Metcalfe, Photographic Director for Condé Nast Traveller magazine.
TEAS has also said that a charter of friendship and co-operation was signed between the town of Colmar and the Azerbaijani town of Sheki on 19 May. This charter serves to officialise the amicable relationship between the towns that dates back to 2013.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 12.09.2017Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
- 07.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev bestows Friendship Order upon Mammadali Aghayev
- 31.08.2017Poignant peaceful protest infuriates Armenians
- 21.08.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: VAK liquidation causes discontent among Azerbaijanis in Russia
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 13.07.2017German MP makes statement on killing of two-year-old Azerbaijani girl due to Armenian shelling
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani students hold protests in European countries
- 10.07.2017Karabakh tragedy brought to the steps of Armenian Embassy in London
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijanis protest outside UN headquarters against Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 28.06.2017All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress’s appeal to be considered in September
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No politicians in US administration to deal with Karabakh conflict resolution
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 18.05.2017Photo exhibition devoted to 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic opens in Paris
- 17.05.2017MP: Certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia
- 15.05.2017Russian Supreme Court liquidates registration of "All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress"
- 15.05.2017Ukrainian court: Claim that Dnipro assailants’ leader is an Azerbaijani can only be verified through investigated
- 30.07.2015Nikolayev's Vice-Governor: “We are ready to provide support to erect monument on Khojaly genocide”
- 20.08.2015Azerbaijani businessman, diaspora activist goes missing in Ukraine
- 31.08.2015Abbas Abbasov steps down from Azerros
- 24.07.2015“Yerevan city. How was Turkic-Islamic existence destroyed” book by Nazim Mustafa published in Ankara
- 21.07.2015President Ilham Aliyev: "We need to bring to the world the truth about Azerbaijan"
- 09.07.2015Former Azerbaijani deputy of Luhansk regional council killed
Top news of the day