Former Lebanese PM: Iran won’t be able to maintain upper hand in Arab world
He made the remarks at the panel titled “Iran and Afghanistan: Keys to regional Caspian and Central Asian security and prosperity. What’s next?” held as part of the 4th Global Baku Forum on March 11.
He said that there are two powers in Iran – the party negotiating with the West to develop the country’s economy and the nationalist front supporting the conflicts in Yemen and Iraq which will gradually lead to the impossibility of stability in the region.
According to Fouad Siniora, the conflict between Sunnis and Shiites is not a fundamental religious conflict, but a regional conflict.
Iran is using the [Sunni-Shia conflict] to achieve Shiites’ advantage in the Arab region, and the ongoing conflicts disrupt the balance in the region, the former PM added.
He noted that the latest elections in Iran showed there is a need for reforms.
“If left uninterrupted, this force will support conflicts in the region. Extremists should not be backed in any case. Iran and Arab countries are in a difficult financial situation. People are suffering. We can see that Europe too is affected by it. This is going to lead people to a big trouble and radicalization,” Siniora said.
He said for the West, the situation cannot go on like this.
“Iran will not be able to maintain the upper hand in the Arab world, which is not pondering Iran’s isolation. What is the dividing line between Sunnis and Shiites? The line that divides them is much more trivial than the differences between Orthodox Christians and Catholics. Therefore such a division is unneeded. Iran is seeking to integrate into the West but is also thinking of acting as a revolutionary force in the Middle East—a stance unlikely to go that far. Iran’s attempts to provoke a revolution in Arab countries will be a failure. If not dealt with, Iran’s acts will bring about intensified disintegration, strengthen extremist forces, increase the numbers of migrants and undermine regional security,” he concluded.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 12.09.2017Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
- 07.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev bestows Friendship Order upon Mammadali Aghayev
- 31.08.2017Poignant peaceful protest infuriates Armenians
- 21.08.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: VAK liquidation causes discontent among Azerbaijanis in Russia
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 13.07.2017German MP makes statement on killing of two-year-old Azerbaijani girl due to Armenian shelling
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani students hold protests in European countries
- 10.07.2017Karabakh tragedy brought to the steps of Armenian Embassy in London
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijanis protest outside UN headquarters against Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 28.06.2017All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress’s appeal to be considered in September
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No politicians in US administration to deal with Karabakh conflict resolution
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 18.05.2017Photo exhibition devoted to 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic opens in Paris
- 17.05.2017MP: Certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia
- 15.05.2017Russian Supreme Court liquidates registration of "All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress"
- 15.05.2017Ukrainian court: Claim that Dnipro assailants’ leader is an Azerbaijani can only be verified through investigated
- 11.03.2016Europe avoids solution to migrant crisis – top Azerbaijani official
- 26.03.2016Ukraine initiates criminal case against LPR prosecutor general
- 30.03.2016Agenda of Azerbaijani parliament’s next meeting made public
- 10.03.2016Panel on Ukraine crisis held as part of IV Global Baku Forum - UPDATED
- 10.03.2016Direct dialogue needed between Kiev, Donbass – former Russian PM
- 10.03.2016All conflicts first created then frozen, says Ukraine’s ex-president