Former Lebanese PM: Iran won’t be able to maintain upper hand in Arab world
He made the remarks at the panel titled “Iran and Afghanistan: Keys to regional Caspian and Central Asian security and prosperity. What’s next?” held as part of the 4th Global Baku Forum on March 11.
He said that there are two powers in Iran – the party negotiating with the West to develop the country’s economy and the nationalist front supporting the conflicts in Yemen and Iraq which will gradually lead to the impossibility of stability in the region.
According to Fouad Siniora, the conflict between Sunnis and Shiites is not a fundamental religious conflict, but a regional conflict.
Iran is using the [Sunni-Shia conflict] to achieve Shiites’ advantage in the Arab region, and the ongoing conflicts disrupt the balance in the region, the former PM added.
He noted that the latest elections in Iran showed there is a need for reforms.
“If left uninterrupted, this force will support conflicts in the region. Extremists should not be backed in any case. Iran and Arab countries are in a difficult financial situation. People are suffering. We can see that Europe too is affected by it. This is going to lead people to a big trouble and radicalization,” Siniora said.
He said for the West, the situation cannot go on like this.
“Iran will not be able to maintain the upper hand in the Arab world, which is not pondering Iran’s isolation. What is the dividing line between Sunnis and Shiites? The line that divides them is much more trivial than the differences between Orthodox Christians and Catholics. Therefore such a division is unneeded. Iran is seeking to integrate into the West but is also thinking of acting as a revolutionary force in the Middle East—a stance unlikely to go that far. Iran’s attempts to provoke a revolution in Arab countries will be a failure. If not dealt with, Iran’s acts will bring about intensified disintegration, strengthen extremist forces, increase the numbers of migrants and undermine regional security,” he concluded.
Related news releases
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijan establishes Diaspora Support Fund
- 12.06.2018Head of Staff of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora dismissed
- 06.06.2018Polish tourism company cancels illegal trips to Karabakh after protest of Azerbaijani diaspora
- 31.05.2018West Hollywood honors 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 21.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets elected officials of California
- 18.05.2018Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 11.03.2016Europe avoids solution to migrant crisis – top Azerbaijani official
- 26.03.2016Ukraine initiates criminal case against LPR prosecutor general
- 30.03.2016Agenda of Azerbaijani parliament’s next meeting made public
- 10.03.2016Panel on Ukraine crisis held as part of IV Global Baku Forum - UPDATED
- 10.03.2016Direct dialogue needed between Kiev, Donbass – former Russian PM
- 10.03.2016All conflicts first created then frozen, says Ukraine’s ex-president