Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
APA presents interview with President of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress (ARAC), Prof. Fazil Gurbanov
Q: Mr. Fazil, ARAC has filed a cassation complaint to the Presidium of the Supreme Court of Russia against the verdict of liquidation. Is there a hope for a positive response?
A: Yes, today our lawyer has filed a cassation appeal to the Presidium of Russia’s Supreme Court against the verdict to cancel the Congress’s registration. We will be informed once the complaint is considered. As for our expectations, I can say that we have eliminated all the shortcomings registered by Russia’s Ministry of Justice. We hope the Presidium will respond positively to our appeal. As they say, hope finally dies. I think that our applying to all instances shows that we are right. There have been no rebukes as to making serious political mistakes. The rebukes are only related to paperwork. The Ministry of Justice’s warnings have not been reacted to promptly.
Q: A few months ago, you appealed to the Russian president and prime minister to restore justice with regard to the cancellation of the ARAC registration. Recent court decisions show that these appeals remain ineffective. What do you think of this?
A: Well, we have already appealed to the Presidential Administration, the Federation Council and the State Duma. We also met with deputies. We had meetings at almost all levels, and expressed our concern. During all this period, we haven’t been silent. We have done all documentation work. The Congress held several events and participated in some events during this period. At present, we are preparing for the 100th anniversary of famous Azerbaijani, one of the founders of the Soviet space industry, General Karim Karimov. We will hold a grand event to mark the 100th anniversary of Karim Karimov.
The Unity Day will soon be celebrated in Russia. Our organization is also preparing for this holiday event on November 4. As you see, the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress continues operating. We haven’t lost enthusiasm. I think that ARAC founded in 2001 by Azerbaijan’s national leader Heydar Aliyev and Russian President Vladimir Putin shouldn’t be liquidated. This organization incorporates about 2.5 million Azerbaijanis in Russia.
Q: What steps will the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress take if the Presidium of Russia’s Supreme Court rejects the appeal? Is the creation of a new organization on the agenda?
A: Our main task is to preserve the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress. If the Presidium’s decision is negative, we will be ready for it. The liquidation of an organization which has representatives in more than 70 regions of Russia is not easy. Leaving about 2.5 million Azerbaijanis without an organization is impossible. Therefore, our main task is to preserve the organization. If the cassation appeal is rejected, then we are going to change the name of the organization and create a new one in its place. Everything depends on the decision of the Supreme Court’s Presidium. But we don’t lose hope. We hope for a fair decision to be made.
Related news releases
- 12.06.2018Head of Staff of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora dismissed
- 06.06.2018Polish tourism company cancels illegal trips to Karabakh after protest of Azerbaijani diaspora
- 31.05.2018West Hollywood honors 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 21.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets elected officials of California
- 18.05.2018Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva