Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
APA presents interview with President of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress (ARAC), Prof. Fazil Gurbanov
Q: Mr. Fazil, ARAC has filed a cassation complaint to the Presidium of the Supreme Court of Russia against the verdict of liquidation. Is there a hope for a positive response?
A: Yes, today our lawyer has filed a cassation appeal to the Presidium of Russia’s Supreme Court against the verdict to cancel the Congress’s registration. We will be informed once the complaint is considered. As for our expectations, I can say that we have eliminated all the shortcomings registered by Russia’s Ministry of Justice. We hope the Presidium will respond positively to our appeal. As they say, hope finally dies. I think that our applying to all instances shows that we are right. There have been no rebukes as to making serious political mistakes. The rebukes are only related to paperwork. The Ministry of Justice’s warnings have not been reacted to promptly.
Q: A few months ago, you appealed to the Russian president and prime minister to restore justice with regard to the cancellation of the ARAC registration. Recent court decisions show that these appeals remain ineffective. What do you think of this?
A: Well, we have already appealed to the Presidential Administration, the Federation Council and the State Duma. We also met with deputies. We had meetings at almost all levels, and expressed our concern. During all this period, we haven’t been silent. We have done all documentation work. The Congress held several events and participated in some events during this period. At present, we are preparing for the 100th anniversary of famous Azerbaijani, one of the founders of the Soviet space industry, General Karim Karimov. We will hold a grand event to mark the 100th anniversary of Karim Karimov.
The Unity Day will soon be celebrated in Russia. Our organization is also preparing for this holiday event on November 4. As you see, the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress continues operating. We haven’t lost enthusiasm. I think that ARAC founded in 2001 by Azerbaijan’s national leader Heydar Aliyev and Russian President Vladimir Putin shouldn’t be liquidated. This organization incorporates about 2.5 million Azerbaijanis in Russia.
Q: What steps will the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress take if the Presidium of Russia’s Supreme Court rejects the appeal? Is the creation of a new organization on the agenda?
A: Our main task is to preserve the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress. If the Presidium’s decision is negative, we will be ready for it. The liquidation of an organization which has representatives in more than 70 regions of Russia is not easy. Leaving about 2.5 million Azerbaijanis without an organization is impossible. Therefore, our main task is to preserve the organization. If the cassation appeal is rejected, then we are going to change the name of the organization and create a new one in its place. Everything depends on the decision of the Supreme Court’s Presidium. But we don’t lose hope. We hope for a fair decision to be made.
Related news releases
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 12.09.2017Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
- 07.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev bestows Friendship Order upon Mammadali Aghayev
- 31.08.2017Poignant peaceful protest infuriates Armenians
- 21.08.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: VAK liquidation causes discontent among Azerbaijanis in Russia
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 13.07.2017German MP makes statement on killing of two-year-old Azerbaijani girl due to Armenian shelling
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani students hold protests in European countries
- 10.07.2017Karabakh tragedy brought to the steps of Armenian Embassy in London
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijanis protest outside UN headquarters against Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 28.06.2017All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress’s appeal to be considered in September
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No politicians in US administration to deal with Karabakh conflict resolution
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 18.05.2017Photo exhibition devoted to 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic opens in Paris
- 17.05.2017MP: Certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia
- 15.05.2017Russian Supreme Court liquidates registration of "All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress"
- 15.05.2017Ukrainian court: Claim that Dnipro assailants’ leader is an Azerbaijani can only be verified through investigated
- 12.05.2017Anti-Azerbaijani groups in Russia trying hard to liquidate AAC: State Committee
- 12.05.2017Russian court may decide on liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress on May 15
- 10.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in San Diego
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani appointed vice-president of People’s Assembly of Kazakhstan
- 25.04.2017Russian Justice Ministry asks court for time to investigate new documents submitted by All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijanis living in Ukraine appeal to Verkhovna Rada
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: We’re doing a lot to solve problems of Azerbaijanis living abroad
- 11.04.2017Hearing on lawsuit seeking to liquidate All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress postponed
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russia community expresses concern over possible liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russian community expresses protest over liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Serbian ambassador - UPDATED
- 04.04.2017UN chief’s possible participation in Baku Forum discussed in New York
- 03.04.2017State Committee comments on reports of liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 31.03.2017Russian Ministry of Justice appeals to Supreme Court for abolishment of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijan praised as 'Beacon of Religious Tolerance' following visit by children from Atlanta Jewish Academy
- 17.03.2017Khojaly – a heartrending artistic inspiration – highlighted in Paris
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva