European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
European Azerbaijanis have sent a written statement to the United Nations, OSCE and its Minsk Group co-chair countries in connection with Armenia’s recent provocations in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone and on the line of contact of troops.
The statement says that Armenian Armed Forces which occupied Azerbaijani lands increased the number of provocations on the line of contact of troops, the Congress of European Azerbaijanis told APA.
“In the recent days, in view of the events happening in Armenia, the opposite side is also frustrated by firing on civil objects and people. A resident of Yukhari Giyamaddinli village of Aghjabadi district, Hajiyev Rahim, borne on March 15 1991, was shot by gunfire from the Armenian army units while on a field and seriously wounded. This tragedy once again reveals how serious thrill is the occupation of Azerbaijani lands for the region and at the same time the terrorist essence of the Armenian state. This incident deeply saddened us – the Congress of European Azerbaijanis, all Azerbaijanis living in Europe,” reads the statement.
According to the statement, artillery strokes targeted the civil population and assets of the Armenian Armed Forces prove that the Armenian state with the aggressive policy does not comply with the norms of international law, with international humanitarian law and human rights, in particular the 1949 Geneva Convention and its Addendum # 1, and continues to seriously violate the Conventions on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and Convention on the Rights of the Child.
“We urge the world community, international organizations, the OSCE and its Minsk Group co-chair countries, the United Nations to take concrete steps against the aggressor and apply harsh sanctions in line with international law,” says the statement.
The statement notes that Armenia brutally violated the Geneva Conventions on Civilian Population during the war and ceasefire by killing innocent civilians; the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs - the United States, France and Russia continue to be silent. “The international community's ignorance of Armenian atrocities opens the aggressor's arms and the impunity of the crimes committed by Armenia causes them to kill more civilians in Azerbaijan.”
“On these hard and difficult days, we express our deep sorrow to the families, relatives of killed people and to all People of Azerbaijan. We especially express that we support the steps taken by the Azerbaijani Government to liberate our lands from the occupation and punish the aggressor. We are convinced that the Azerbaijani State will take all necessary measures to ensure that the perpetrators of these bloody murders will receive a decent punishment.
We have finally come to the conclusion that the world's leading, civilized, peaceful states, the UN, the OSCE, the Council of Europe and the European Union shall change its indifferent position and take all measures to force the Aggressor-Armenia to withdraw from the occupied Azerbaijani lands for the sake of stop killing innocent civilians, elderly people, women and infants,” the statement says.
The statement stresses that the only way to ensure peace, stability and security in the region is changing the status-quo, and liberation of Azerbaijani lands from occupation.
The statement was presented by President of the Congress of European Azerbaijanis Sahil Gasimov.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets elected officials of California
- 18.05.2018Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election