Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia
The liquidation of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress (VAK) runs contrary to strategic partnership relations between Azerbaijan and Russia, the State Committee of Azerbaijan on Work with Diaspora said in a statement on May 16, APA reported.
The cancellation of the Congress’s registration by Russia’s Supreme Court based on the lawsuit filed by the country’s Justice Ministry has been met with deep regret and concern by Azerbaijan and Azerbaijanis living all over the world, said the statement.
The statement highlighted that Russia’s Supreme Court decided to liquidate VAK, which is one of the biggest public organizations in this country, despite all the efforts made by Azerbaijan’s concerned bodies, different organizations, as well as the Congress leadership.
Based on numerous requests from Azerbaijanis living in Russia and beyond, the State Committee reiterated that this move is in complete contrast with strategic partnership relations between Azerbaijan and Russia as well as the centuries-long friendly relations between the two nations. Made at a time Russia and Azerbaijan enjoy rapid-developing cooperative relations and the nations are in increasing need of mutual support, this decision could undermine the years-old mutual trust between the two nations.
Considering the concern of the Azerbaijani public and diaspora representatives, the State Committee once again emphasized that the analysis of the situation around Congress and information obtained from a variety of sources created doubts that certain forces that see the Azerbaijan-Russia strategic partnership as a threat to their interests are behind the VAK liquidation.
The liquidation of one of Azerbaijan’s biggest diaspora organizations in Russia, which acts as an intermediary in the negotiations on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and is a co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group, can cause distrust of the Azerbaijani society towards this country’s impartiality, noted the State Committee.
The State Commission said it is sympathetic to the protests of members of the public, media outlets and diaspora activists, stressing that it is wrong to shift responsibility for this decision to individuals, state bodies and the VAK leadership.
“All VAK congresses and meetings were held under the consent of Russia’s state agencies. There are serious reasons to say that the court’s decision is completely biased and inadequate,” said the statement.
The State Committee continued: “Taking into account the need to respect the court’s decision, the Congress, in accordance with Russia’s legislation, will appeal to relevant courts and try to achieve the restoration of justice. All necessary steps will be taken ensure that the court decision on the VAK liquidation will be reconsidered in accordance with the law, and we will achieve an objective and fair result that meets the interests of our countries and peoples.”
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 12.09.2017Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
- 07.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev bestows Friendship Order upon Mammadali Aghayev
- 31.08.2017Poignant peaceful protest infuriates Armenians
- 21.08.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: VAK liquidation causes discontent among Azerbaijanis in Russia
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 13.07.2017German MP makes statement on killing of two-year-old Azerbaijani girl due to Armenian shelling
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani students hold protests in European countries
- 10.07.2017Karabakh tragedy brought to the steps of Armenian Embassy in London
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijanis protest outside UN headquarters against Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 28.06.2017All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress’s appeal to be considered in September
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No politicians in US administration to deal with Karabakh conflict resolution
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 18.05.2017Photo exhibition devoted to 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic opens in Paris
- 17.05.2017MP: Certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia
- 15.05.2017Russian Supreme Court liquidates registration of "All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress"
- 15.05.2017Ukrainian court: Claim that Dnipro assailants’ leader is an Azerbaijani can only be verified through investigated
- 12.05.2017Anti-Azerbaijani groups in Russia trying hard to liquidate AAC: State Committee
- 12.05.2017Russian court may decide on liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress on May 15
- 10.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in San Diego
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani appointed vice-president of People’s Assembly of Kazakhstan
- 25.04.2017Russian Justice Ministry asks court for time to investigate new documents submitted by All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijanis living in Ukraine appeal to Verkhovna Rada
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: We’re doing a lot to solve problems of Azerbaijanis living abroad
- 11.04.2017Hearing on lawsuit seeking to liquidate All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress postponed
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russia community expresses concern over possible liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 21.07.2015President Ilham Aliyev: "We need to bring to the world the truth about Azerbaijan"
- 24.07.2015“Yerevan city. How was Turkic-Islamic existence destroyed” book by Nazim Mustafa published in Ankara
- 29.07.2015French city Colmar to host cultural events dedicated to Azerbaijan
- 09.07.2015CEC holds seminar dedicated to preparation and publication of financial reports of political parties
- 08.07.2015TEAS not allowed to attend meeting with Bako Sahakyan at Chatham House
- 08.07.2015The European Azerbaijan Society addresses open letter to Chatham House