Azerbaijan praised as 'Beacon of Religious Tolerance' following visit by children from Atlanta Jewish Academy
Azerbaijan was hailed as a 'beacon of religious tolerance' following a visit by a group of children from the Atlanta Jewish Academy in the United States to Azerbaijan.
The trip was facilitated on the ground by The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS), which arranged logistics as well as the sightseeing itinerary, which led the Jewish group from the Old City in the capital of Baku to the ancient rock paintings in Gobustan and the home of the Mountain Jews in Guba.
Five children, aged 10 to 17, from the Atlanta Jewish Academy traveled to Azerbaijan, accompanied by Rabbi Reuven Travis and Jewish community leader George Birnbaum. This was the second trip of Atlanta Jewish Academy students to Azerbaijan.
The news release, titled “Azerbaijan Praised as 'Beacon of Religious Tolerance' Following Visit by Children From Atlanta Jewish Academy”, was published by 158 media outlets. Among the media outlets are Yahoo! Finance with 76 million daily viewers, Dow Jones MarketWatch, Yahoo Singapore, New York Business Journal and Atlanta Business Chronicle, dozens of television channels and news websites operating in the US and Europe. Merrill Edge, an influential investment publication of Bank of America, and online publication Silicon Valley Globe.
The news release, titled “Aserbaidschan wird nach Besuch von Kindern der Atlanta Jewish Academy als ’strahlendes Beispiel religiöser Toleranz’ gelobt” was published by the Berlin-based newspaper Der Tagesspiegel, Wall Street: Online journal, Finanznachrichten, as well as Austrian agency APA-OTS and several news websites operating in Switzerland.
The news release also includes the visitors’ impressions of Azerbaijan.
17-year-old Devorah Chasen said she felt welcomed and safe in Azerbaijan, stressing the country's open culture and warm society. "Much of the religious division in the world today comes from stereotyping, but in Azerbaijan you experience the hospitality and friendliness and realise that the reality is very different," Chasen said. "It's been eye-opening."
"Given the increasing religious tensions around the world, it is important for Jewish kids from America to experience a modern, pluralistic and tolerant Muslim country like Azerbaijan," George Birnbaum said. "There is an actual friendship between the Jewish and Muslim communities, between the government and the Jewish community."
"This country [Azerbaijan] breaks stereotypes," Rabbi Travis said, adding that the group felt completely at ease in Azerbaijan. "In France, I wore a baseball cap. I thought it was more dangerous to walk the streets of Paris with my kippah on than the streets of Baku."
"It's important to spread the word of religious tolerance," said 17-year-old Esther Benchetrit. "I will tell my friends and family to go and visit, because it's beautiful and people are so sweet."
This was the second trip by the Atlanta Jewish Academy to Azerbaijan and a similar program is being developed to bring Azerbaijani students to the U.S.
"We hope this project will yield long-term results, as the children grow into adults and create opportunities for business, politics, education and more between the two countries," Birnbaum concluded.
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 12.09.2017Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
- 07.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev bestows Friendship Order upon Mammadali Aghayev
- 31.08.2017Poignant peaceful protest infuriates Armenians
- 21.08.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: VAK liquidation causes discontent among Azerbaijanis in Russia
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 13.07.2017German MP makes statement on killing of two-year-old Azerbaijani girl due to Armenian shelling
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani students hold protests in European countries
- 10.07.2017Karabakh tragedy brought to the steps of Armenian Embassy in London
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijanis protest outside UN headquarters against Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 28.06.2017All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress’s appeal to be considered in September
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No politicians in US administration to deal with Karabakh conflict resolution
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 31.03.2017Russian Ministry of Justice appeals to Supreme Court for abolishment of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 03.04.2017State Committee comments on reports of liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017UN chief’s possible participation in Baku Forum discussed in New York
- 17.03.2017Khojaly – a heartrending artistic inspiration – highlighted in Paris
- 16.03.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan supports idea of conducting reforms in UN
- 16.03.2017Georgian president calls for condemnation of military aggression worldwide