Azerbaijan praised as 'Beacon of Religious Tolerance' following visit by children from Atlanta Jewish Academy
Azerbaijan was hailed as a 'beacon of religious tolerance' following a visit by a group of children from the Atlanta Jewish Academy in the United States to Azerbaijan.
The trip was facilitated on the ground by The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS), which arranged logistics as well as the sightseeing itinerary, which led the Jewish group from the Old City in the capital of Baku to the ancient rock paintings in Gobustan and the home of the Mountain Jews in Guba.
Five children, aged 10 to 17, from the Atlanta Jewish Academy traveled to Azerbaijan, accompanied by Rabbi Reuven Travis and Jewish community leader George Birnbaum. This was the second trip of Atlanta Jewish Academy students to Azerbaijan.
The news release, titled “Azerbaijan Praised as 'Beacon of Religious Tolerance' Following Visit by Children From Atlanta Jewish Academy”, was published by 158 media outlets. Among the media outlets are Yahoo! Finance with 76 million daily viewers, Dow Jones MarketWatch, Yahoo Singapore, New York Business Journal and Atlanta Business Chronicle, dozens of television channels and news websites operating in the US and Europe. Merrill Edge, an influential investment publication of Bank of America, and online publication Silicon Valley Globe.
The news release, titled “Aserbaidschan wird nach Besuch von Kindern der Atlanta Jewish Academy als ’strahlendes Beispiel religiöser Toleranz’ gelobt” was published by the Berlin-based newspaper Der Tagesspiegel, Wall Street: Online journal, Finanznachrichten, as well as Austrian agency APA-OTS and several news websites operating in Switzerland.
The news release also includes the visitors’ impressions of Azerbaijan.
17-year-old Devorah Chasen said she felt welcomed and safe in Azerbaijan, stressing the country's open culture and warm society. "Much of the religious division in the world today comes from stereotyping, but in Azerbaijan you experience the hospitality and friendliness and realise that the reality is very different," Chasen said. "It's been eye-opening."
"Given the increasing religious tensions around the world, it is important for Jewish kids from America to experience a modern, pluralistic and tolerant Muslim country like Azerbaijan," George Birnbaum said. "There is an actual friendship between the Jewish and Muslim communities, between the government and the Jewish community."
"This country [Azerbaijan] breaks stereotypes," Rabbi Travis said, adding that the group felt completely at ease in Azerbaijan. "In France, I wore a baseball cap. I thought it was more dangerous to walk the streets of Paris with my kippah on than the streets of Baku."
"It's important to spread the word of religious tolerance," said 17-year-old Esther Benchetrit. "I will tell my friends and family to go and visit, because it's beautiful and people are so sweet."
This was the second trip by the Atlanta Jewish Academy to Azerbaijan and a similar program is being developed to bring Azerbaijani students to the U.S.
"We hope this project will yield long-term results, as the children grow into adults and create opportunities for business, politics, education and more between the two countries," Birnbaum concluded.
- 21.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets elected officials of California
- 18.05.2018Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 31.03.2017Russian Ministry of Justice appeals to Supreme Court for abolishment of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 03.04.2017State Committee comments on reports of liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017UN chief’s possible participation in Baku Forum discussed in New York
- 17.03.2017Khojaly – a heartrending artistic inspiration – highlighted in Paris
- 16.03.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan supports idea of conducting reforms in UN
- 16.03.2017Georgian president calls for condemnation of military aggression worldwide