Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
An event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s traditions of multiculturalism and multi-faith harmony and tolerance was held in San Francisco at the renowned Commonwealth Club on May 16, 2018, the Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles told APA.
The event took place on the sidelines of the California visit of a delegation of Azerbaijan’s faith and community leaders, led by Mubariz Gurbanli, the Chairman of the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations (SCWRO) of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
Jointly organized by the Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles and the American Jewish Committee’s San Francisco Office, the event was attended by representatives of local Jewish community, as well as different ethnic and religious communities, faith leaders, journalists and others.
Bay Area’s well-known interfaith councils such as the United Religions Initiative, Interfaith Council of Contra Costa County, Interfaith at the Presidio, Marin Interfaith Council and Silicon Valley Interreligious Council were the official partners of this event.
Opening the event, Matt Kahn, the Regional Director of the American Jewish Committee-San Francisco, and Rabbi Serena Eisenberg, Northern California Director of AJC, welcomed the guests and emphasized the importance of this multi-faith event. They stressed that the AJC and Azerbaijan have been enjoying strong friendship and partnership for many years now, mentioning the annual visits by the AJC leadership to Azerbaijan.
Speaking afterwards, the Chairman of the SCWRO Mubariz Gurbanli stated that the tolerance in Azerbaijan has very solid foundations, rich traditions and deep historical and cultural roots. He also mentioned that there has always been a strong relationship of mutual trust between ethnic and religious communities in the country. Stating that 809, including 31 non-Islamic religious communities had been registered in Azerbaijan, Gurbanli said that people belonging to all religions live in a mutual understanding and peace in the country. He also stressed that President Ilham Aliyev of Azerbaijan elevated multifaith harmony and tolerance to the level of state policy in the country.
In his speech, the Consul General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles Nasimi Aghayev expressed his gratitude to the AJC-San Francisco for partnering with the Consulate General in arranging this wonderful event showcasing Azerbaijan’s long-standing traditions of tolerance, inclusion and multiculturalism and the centuries-long peaceful co-existence of all peoples and religions. Aghayev also mentioned that at this Commonwealth Club in 1919 the U.S. President Woodrow Wilson delivered a speech during which he recalled his meeting with the delegation from the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (which was the world’s first majority-Muslim secular republic) at the Paris Peace Conference and outlining his positive impression of the Azerbaijani delegation and the values they represented.
In their remarks, Fuad Nurullayev, Deputy Chairman of the Caucasian Muslims' Office, Deputy to Sheikh-ul-Islam of the Caucasus; Milikh Yevdayev, President of the Religious Community of the Mountain Jews of Baku; Aleksandr Sharovskiy, President of the Religious Community of European Jews of Baku; Robert Mobili, President of the Albanian-Udi Christian Religious Community of Azerbaijan; and Elnur Afandiyev, the Archpriest of the Baku Eparchy of the Russian Orthodox Church highlighted the ancient traditions of tolerance and multiculturalism in Azerbaijan noting that people of different ethnic and religious backgrounds, including Muslims, Christians, Jews and representatives of other faiths have been living together in peace, brotherhood and mutual respect for many centuries in Azerbaijan and continue to do so today.
At the end of the panel discussions, members of the delegation answered the questions of the audience in a Q&A Session.
The discussions were moderated by Rev. Will McGarvey, Executive Director of the Interfaith Council of Contra Costa County.
A photo exhibition reflecting the traditions of multiculturalism in Azerbaijan was also presented to the attendees.
The event was received with much interest by the audience.
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA), which is a radical Armenian Dashnak organization, has made attempts to prevent the event, but failed. By sending its representatives to the event, ANCA attempted to spread leaflets containing false information about Azerbaijan, but these actions were also prevented. Later, representatives of the Armenian lobby gave provocative questions distorting the essence of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict. In response, the Chairman of the SCWRO Mubariz Gurbanli, pointed out the occupation of Azerbaijani territories by Armenia and the expulsion of over 1 million of our compatriots, noting that this conflict is not an inter-religious one, and asked why Armenia have not fulfilled the UN Security Council’s resolutions yet. Armenian lobbyists, who failed to carry out their provocative intentions and faced the protest of other participants, left the event.
- 12.06.2018Head of Staff of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora dismissed
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 21.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets elected officials of California
- 31.05.2018West Hollywood honors 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 06.06.2018Polish tourism company cancels illegal trips to Karabakh after protest of Azerbaijani diaspora
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora