Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan supports idea of conducting reforms in UN
A panel session titled “What alliances will be built in the forging of modern international relations?” was held within the Fifth Baku Global Forum on Thursday.
Addressing the panel, former Bulgarian President Petar Stoyanov said that there is such an impression that the United States has become the only superpower after the collapse of the USSR.
EU countries, according to the ex-president, believe in the future of NATO and see no alternative to the alliance.
Former president of Ecuador Rosalia Arteaga said that today the US is pursuing a policy of protectionism which, according to him, caused the Great Depression of the 1930s.
Arteaga said he believes the US will strengthen its economic ties with the United Kingdom and form an alliance with it.
He stressed the importance of promoting peace, the need to introduce this topic into school textbooks.
Former Croatian president Ivo Josipović stressed his concern about the future of peace.
"People are very worried about tomorrow. The West could not predict what would be the effect of interference in the affairs of different countries. A few years ago, when I was the president, they said at a meeting with high-ranking US officials that the Syrian issue had already been resolved. However, this problem is still not solved. I am afraid that the great powers will allow the Syrian situation to repeat itself in other countries and regions, including the Balkans,” he added.
Former French finance minister Edmond Alphandéry said that he has not lost faith in the European Union.
"The most important thing is to make sure we don’t make any mistake as to the European Union, whose 60th anniversary we’re going to mark in the coming days. We must strengthen our defense capabilities within NATO. It is necessary to assure the Europeans that the European Union is a very successful union," he added.
Nicholas Logothetis, co-founder and chairman of the Board of Concordia, said he has very good impressions of Azerbaijan and that he will come to Azerbaijan with his wife on vacation. He said no one could predict what steps the new US government would take.
"There are two forces in the White House today. One of them is the traditional Republicans, and the second is the force led by Steve Benen. Steve Benen expresses very dangerous thoughts. He talks about the reconstruction of the state administration and strongly believes in populist politics. He has a very strong influence on Donald Trump. I believe that the traditional Republicans will win. The world will witness that November 9, 2017 will be very different from November 9, 2016,” he noted.
Addressing the event, Azerbaijani President's Aide for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov said that new approaches are emerging in connection with the role and position of influential political organizations including the UN in the system of international relations.
According to him, it’s a regrettable fact that most of UN resolutions and decisions are not imperative and that it takes a double-standard approach to punishing aggressive countries responsible for the instigation of conflicts around the world.
"Today, it is clear to everyone that, under the influence of some Western countries, the UN fails to show the same attitude towards the implementation of its resolutions and decisions, which causes serious damage to its reputation,” the top official said, noting that a number of countries in the South Caucasus, Eastern Europe, some parts of Africa, and the Far East are losing their confidence in the UN.
He stressed that Azerbaijan, which never interferes in domestic affairs of other countries and respects international law, supports UN resolutions that aim to resolve conflicts in various parts of the world and their speedy implementation.
Hasanov criticized the UN, saying that it was quick to encourage Iraq’s immediate punishment while having failed so far to demonstrate a principal stance to encourage the fulfillment of its resolutions concerning the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“While the UN resolution regarding Libya was fulfilled straightaway, the four resolutions the UN passed concerning Armenia have not been implemented for more than two decades. As a result, the necessity has arisen for the UN to carry out new reforms, to restructure itself, and to make serious changes in its strategy in order to be able to operate as an independent organization far from double standards,” he added.
The top official stressed that the idea of carrying out reforms in the UN became more pressing with the adoption of the Millennium Declaration in the early 21st century.
He said that Azerbaijan supports the idea of carrying out reforms in the UN to eliminate conflicts worldwide and ensure peace and stability.
Hasanov went on to note that various approaches have been taken by the international community as to what unions to establish in regulating modern international relations.
The top official pointed out that the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM), which Azerbaijan became a member of in 2011, wants a new architecture of world order to be based on equal-right partnership.
“We think that saving the world lies in finding a balance between international law and power,” he added.
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 12.09.2017Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
- 07.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev bestows Friendship Order upon Mammadali Aghayev
- 31.08.2017Poignant peaceful protest infuriates Armenians
- 21.08.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: VAK liquidation causes discontent among Azerbaijanis in Russia
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 13.07.2017German MP makes statement on killing of two-year-old Azerbaijani girl due to Armenian shelling
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani students hold protests in European countries
- 10.07.2017Karabakh tragedy brought to the steps of Armenian Embassy in London
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijanis protest outside UN headquarters against Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 28.06.2017All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress’s appeal to be considered in September
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No politicians in US administration to deal with Karabakh conflict resolution
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 18.05.2017Photo exhibition devoted to 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic opens in Paris
- 17.05.2017MP: Certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia
- 15.05.2017Russian Supreme Court liquidates registration of "All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress"
- 15.05.2017Ukrainian court: Claim that Dnipro assailants’ leader is an Azerbaijani can only be verified through investigated
- 12.05.2017Anti-Azerbaijani groups in Russia trying hard to liquidate AAC: State Committee
- 12.05.2017Russian court may decide on liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress on May 15
- 10.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in San Diego
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani appointed vice-president of People’s Assembly of Kazakhstan
- 25.04.2017Russian Justice Ministry asks court for time to investigate new documents submitted by All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijanis living in Ukraine appeal to Verkhovna Rada
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: We’re doing a lot to solve problems of Azerbaijanis living abroad
- 11.04.2017Hearing on lawsuit seeking to liquidate All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress postponed
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russia community expresses concern over possible liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russian community expresses protest over liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Serbian ambassador - UPDATED
- 04.04.2017UN chief’s possible participation in Baku Forum discussed in New York
- 03.04.2017State Committee comments on reports of liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijanis rally in Paris in support to President Ilham Aliyev
- 09.03.2017Armenian provocation against Azerbaijan prevented in Moscow
- 09.03.2017Khojaly Commemoration Concert broadcast on London Live TV
- 06.03.2017Chairman of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress regional department dismissed
- 17.03.2017Khojaly – a heartrending artistic inspiration – highlighted in Paris
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijan praised as 'Beacon of Religious Tolerance' following visit by children from Atlanta Jewish Academy
- 31.03.2017Russian Ministry of Justice appeals to Supreme Court for abolishment of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 16.03.2017Georgian president calls for condemnation of military aggression worldwide
- 16.03.2017UN does not justify hopes of peoples: Latvia’s ex-president
- 16.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum kicks off