'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
Luxembourg – which suffered under occupation during both world wars – played host to a screening of the new sweeping, emotional film epic Ali and Nino on 17 May.
The screening took place at Kinepolis Kirchberg, one of the leading cinemas in the country.
The event was organised by the Benelux office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS), in collaboration with the Azerbaijani Embassy to Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg and the EU. It was attended by around well over100 members of the Azerbaijani diaspora, friends of Azerbaijan and cinephiles. Dozens of people were disappointed as demand for tickets outstripped the cinema’s capacity, TEAS told APA.
Written exactly 80 years ago in German by the enigmatic Kurban Said, the novel Ali and Nino encapsulates the interreligious, multicultural and tolerant spirit of Baku that existed in 1918–20 during the period of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (ADR), which preceded seven long decades of Soviet domination. The novel is largely set in Icheri Sheher (Baku Old City), although the action also takes place in Dagestan, Ganja, Tbilisi, Tehran and Shusha, an Azerbaijani cultural hub in Nagorno-Karabakh that is currently under illegal Armenian occupation.
In 2016, this film adaptation of this legendary novel was released, directed by Oscar-winning British director Asif Kapadia (probably best-known for his documentary films on racing driver Ayrton Senna and singer Amy Winehouse). The film has a script by Oscar-winning screenwriter Christopher Hampton. The Executive Producer is Leyla Aliyeva, Vice-President, Heydar Aliyev Foundation.
Marc Verwilghen, Director, TEAS Benelux, said: “Tonight’s screening comes at a pivotal point in EU–Azerbaijani relations, as negotiations are currently taking place, aimed at creating a new level of co-operation. This comes in the wake of a visit of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev to Brussels that included meetings with representatives from all European institutions.
“The EU needs Azerbaijan. Strategically, as it is at the crossroads of Europe and Asia,. This is in an extraordinary situation, and would be considered a ‘Triple A’ in real estate terms, being located on the old Silk Road. Azerbaijan is also a member of NATO’s Partnership for Peace programme, as well as the EU Eastern Partnership and many other international organisations. Politically, Azerbaijan is important as a neighbour of the EU, with Russia, Iran and Turkey as three other neighbouring countries. Culturally Azerbaijan is a force against radicalism and intolerance. Finally, in terms of energy flows, Azerbaijan is crucial because of the construction of the Southern Gas Corridor, which will increase supply diversity for EU countries.
“Azerbaijan is a modern country that ensures cohabitation and tolerance, cultural diversity, acceptance of ethnic minorities. It also plays its role in countering terrorism, at a time when we have seen attacks in many European cities, including Paris, Brussels and London.
“Ali and Nino is the Romeo and Juliet of the Caucasus, set amidst the décor of an incredible natural theatre. The film depicts the romance between the Muslim Ali and Georgian Princess Nino, and shows the establishment of the ADR, which existed from 1918–20, and ended with the Bolshevik invasion of Azerbaijan.
“But – as Ali and Nino shows us – Hope has no borders, Fate has no boundaries and Love has no limits.”
H.E. Fuad Isgandarov, Ambassador of the Republic of Azerbaijan to Belgium, Luxembourg and the EU, concluded: “Following the recent successful screening of Ali and Nino in the European Parliament, the European Commission has also shown an interest in hosting this film. In my view, this is not a Romeo and Juliet story, as that revolves around two families who are in conflict. However, Ali and Nino shows two friendly independent nations – Azerbaijan and Georgia ¬– that exist in a state of brotherhood.
“Next year we will celebrate the centenary of the ADR – which constituted our first independence. The film shows the difficulties of achieving and sustaining this independence. The ADR extended the franchise to all women over the age of 18 just under a century ago, predating this achievement in many European countries and the US. The ADR government comprised many nationalities, including Jews and Armenians. This demonstrates the tolerance and friendliness of Azerbaijanis.
“The film also reiterates the need for all countries to achieve and retain their independence. If they are independent partners in the EU neighbourhood, then Europe will also further develop.”
The event was preceded by a reception, the highlight of which was the renowned aperitif Ratafia de Champagne Exclusive, which has been produced by the Jean Goyard house since 1911. This amber delight, replete with aromas of candied fruit, was described by Alexandre Dumas – who wrote warmly of his visit to Azerbaijan in 1858 – as an “incomparable elixir.”
- 21.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets elected officials of California
- 18.05.2018Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 18.05.2017Photo exhibition devoted to 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic opens in Paris
- 17.05.2017MP: Certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia