Washington hosts conference on 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s independence
Baku – APA. The Central Asia-Caucasus Institute (CACI) at Johns Hopkins University and the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US have co-organized a conference titled “The Road Ahead for Azerbaijan and the Caucasus” in Washington, D.C. on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s state independence.
The event was moderated by CACI Director, regional expert Svante Cornell, the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US told APA.
Addressing the conference, Ambassador Elin Suleymanov gave detailed information about the successes and achievements Azerbaijan has gained in the years of independence.
He noted that Azerbaijan is among the leaders of the region in all spheres.
Azerbaijan, a successor of the first Muslim democratic state in the East, is a crossroads of different nations and cultures, said the diplomat, adding that the country’s leadership stays true to this tradition, and the country has become an initiator and a driving force of global intercultural forums against the backdrop of increasing radicalism and intolerance.
Ambassador Suleymanov then answered questions from the participants.
Asked by an Armenian diplomat about the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Suleymanov emphasized that Azerbaijan stands for the soonest settlement of the conflict.
According to him, the change of the status quo, the return of Azerbaijanis to their native lands and the coexistence of Armenian and Azerbaijani communities are the first step to solve the problem. He added that it will be more profitable for the Armenian people and they will be able to get out of the current miserable situation.
Suleymanov noted that Yerevan, undermining the peace process, in fact, is damaging its independence.
Answering a question of former Freedom House president David Kramer, the ambassador said his rhetoric looks like the propaganda of the Bolshevik period.
He said that the Azerbaijani society is also faced with challenges and difficulties like other societies, including the US, and noted that Azerbaijan is gradually and successfully eliminating these problems and ensuring the development of democratic and inclusive society.
The ambassador emphasized that Azerbaijan is always ready for sincere, unbiased and constructive dialogue with its partners.
Asked about the possible impact of the Turkish Stream on the Azerbaijani-initiated projects, as well as that of Russia-US tensions on the region, Ambassador Suleymanov said that the Turkish Stream has no influence on the Azerbaijani projects, stressing the importance of efficient relations between Russia and Turkey for regional stability. He added that tensions between the US and Russia could adversely affect the region, and the stabilization of cooperation between the two countries serves common interests.
As part of the event, the participants familiarized themselves with Azerbaijan’s cuisine and tasted national dishes.
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 12.09.2017Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
- 07.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev bestows Friendship Order upon Mammadali Aghayev
- 31.08.2017Poignant peaceful protest infuriates Armenians
- 21.08.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: VAK liquidation causes discontent among Azerbaijanis in Russia
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 13.07.2017German MP makes statement on killing of two-year-old Azerbaijani girl due to Armenian shelling
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani students hold protests in European countries
- 10.07.2017Karabakh tragedy brought to the steps of Armenian Embassy in London
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijanis protest outside UN headquarters against Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 28.06.2017All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress’s appeal to be considered in September
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No politicians in US administration to deal with Karabakh conflict resolution
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 18.05.2017Photo exhibition devoted to 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic opens in Paris
- 17.05.2017MP: Certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia
- 15.05.2017Russian Supreme Court liquidates registration of "All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress"
- 15.05.2017Ukrainian court: Claim that Dnipro assailants’ leader is an Azerbaijani can only be verified through investigated
- 12.05.2017Anti-Azerbaijani groups in Russia trying hard to liquidate AAC: State Committee
- 12.05.2017Russian court may decide on liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress on May 15
- 10.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in San Diego
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani appointed vice-president of People’s Assembly of Kazakhstan
- 25.04.2017Russian Justice Ministry asks court for time to investigate new documents submitted by All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijanis living in Ukraine appeal to Verkhovna Rada
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: We’re doing a lot to solve problems of Azerbaijanis living abroad
- 11.04.2017Hearing on lawsuit seeking to liquidate All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress postponed
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russia community expresses concern over possible liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russian community expresses protest over liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Serbian ambassador - UPDATED
- 26.10.2016ANU calls on OSCE not to remain indifferent to military aggression against Ukraine, Azerbaijan
- 29.10.2016Ilham Aliyev congratulates Turkish president
- 02.11.2016Nazim Ibrahimov: All diaspora problems should not be shouldered on state
- 18.10.2016First World Forum of Azerbaijani businessmen postponed
- 17.10.2016Azerbaijan’s human rights record to be reviewed by UN Committee
- 14.10.2016Biola University of Los Angeles hosts event on Azerbaijan