Washington hosts conference on 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s independence
Baku – APA. The Central Asia-Caucasus Institute (CACI) at Johns Hopkins University and the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US have co-organized a conference titled “The Road Ahead for Azerbaijan and the Caucasus” in Washington, D.C. on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s state independence.
The event was moderated by CACI Director, regional expert Svante Cornell, the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US told APA.
Addressing the conference, Ambassador Elin Suleymanov gave detailed information about the successes and achievements Azerbaijan has gained in the years of independence.
He noted that Azerbaijan is among the leaders of the region in all spheres.
Azerbaijan, a successor of the first Muslim democratic state in the East, is a crossroads of different nations and cultures, said the diplomat, adding that the country’s leadership stays true to this tradition, and the country has become an initiator and a driving force of global intercultural forums against the backdrop of increasing radicalism and intolerance.
Ambassador Suleymanov then answered questions from the participants.
Asked by an Armenian diplomat about the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Suleymanov emphasized that Azerbaijan stands for the soonest settlement of the conflict.
According to him, the change of the status quo, the return of Azerbaijanis to their native lands and the coexistence of Armenian and Azerbaijani communities are the first step to solve the problem. He added that it will be more profitable for the Armenian people and they will be able to get out of the current miserable situation.
Suleymanov noted that Yerevan, undermining the peace process, in fact, is damaging its independence.
Answering a question of former Freedom House president David Kramer, the ambassador said his rhetoric looks like the propaganda of the Bolshevik period.
He said that the Azerbaijani society is also faced with challenges and difficulties like other societies, including the US, and noted that Azerbaijan is gradually and successfully eliminating these problems and ensuring the development of democratic and inclusive society.
The ambassador emphasized that Azerbaijan is always ready for sincere, unbiased and constructive dialogue with its partners.
Asked about the possible impact of the Turkish Stream on the Azerbaijani-initiated projects, as well as that of Russia-US tensions on the region, Ambassador Suleymanov said that the Turkish Stream has no influence on the Azerbaijani projects, stressing the importance of efficient relations between Russia and Turkey for regional stability. He added that tensions between the US and Russia could adversely affect the region, and the stabilization of cooperation between the two countries serves common interests.
As part of the event, the participants familiarized themselves with Azerbaijan’s cuisine and tasted national dishes.
- 21.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets elected officials of California
- 18.05.2018Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 26.10.2016ANU calls on OSCE not to remain indifferent to military aggression against Ukraine, Azerbaijan
- 29.10.2016Ilham Aliyev congratulates Turkish president
- 02.11.2016Nazim Ibrahimov: All diaspora problems should not be shouldered on state
- 18.10.2016First World Forum of Azerbaijani businessmen postponed
- 17.10.2016Azerbaijan’s human rights record to be reviewed by UN Committee
- 14.10.2016Biola University of Los Angeles hosts event on Azerbaijan