SIPRI: Arms imports by Azerbaijan were 20 times higher than those of Armenia in 2012–16
The volume of international transfers of major weapons has grown continuously since 2004 and increased by 8.4 per cent between 2007–11 and 2012–16, according to new data on arms transfers published today by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), APA reported.
The five biggest exporters—the United States, Russia, China, France and Germany—together accounted for 74 per cent of the total volume of arms exports.
Notably, transfers of major weapons in 2012–16 reached their highest volume for any five-year period since the end of the cold war.
The flow of arms increased to Asia and Oceania and the Middle East between 2007–11 and 2012–16, while there was a decrease in the flow to Europe, the Americas and Africa.
Fifty countries purchased military equipment from Russia in this period. Azerbaijan’s arms imports from Russia made 4 per cent. The US sold military equipment and weapons to 100 countries.
Imports by Azerbaijan were 20 times higher than those of Armenia in 2012–16.
Algeria was the largest arms importer in Africa with 46 per cent of all imports to the region.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of Command-Staff War Games
- 20.11.2017NATO Days in Azerbaijan Armed Forces
- 20.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.11.2017The troops of the Nakhchivan garrison continue activity in the Command-Staff War Games - VIDEO
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister holds meeting with command staff involved in war games
- 17.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan sign plan for military cooperation
- 16.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani army to hold command-staff war games
- 15.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 14.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 10.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.11.2017Defense minister addresses NATO meeting
- 09.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 08.11.2017Military experts of Azerbaijan and Germany hold meeting
- 08.11.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 08.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.11.2017Military attachés accredited to Azerbaijan visit Naval Forces
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister to attend NATO meeting
- 07.11.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 07.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 133 times
- 06.11.2017Azerbaijan to institute ‘Rashadat’ order for Armed Forces
- 06.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 03.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves agreement on training of Afghan servicemen in Azerbaijan
- 03.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.11.2017Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov and Andrzej Kasprzyk mull current situation on contact line
- 02.11.2017Armenia resorts to provocation on border with Azerbaijan
- 02.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.11.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund exceed AZN 86 mln
- 01.11.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 31.10.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,500 times in October
- 31.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 30.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 103 times
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijan successfully conducts evaluation of Naval Forces Boarding Party on NATO standards
- 27.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijani, German defense ministries hold bilateral talks
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers return from Afghanistan
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijani Minister of Emergency Situations pays visit to UAE
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijan, Serbia mull prospects of military co-op
- 21.02.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 31 times
- 20.02.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2017ANAMA finds 78 shrapnels in road to be constructed in Jojug Marjanli village
- 18.02.2017Retired general: Deaths in Armenian army are due to disorders