OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
The monitoring will be held under the mandate of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office Personal Representative along the line of contact in the direction of Garakhanbeyli village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district.
On the Azerbaijani side, the monitoring will be held by Personal Representative’s field assistants Peter Svedberg, Simon Tiller and the head of the High-Level Planning Group (HLPG) Colonel Hans Lampalzer.
On the Azerbaijani territories occupied and controlled by Armenian armed forces, the monitoring will be carried out by Personal Representative’s field assistants Mikhail Olaru, Ghenadie Petrica and the representative of the HLPG Lt Col Patrick Farrelly.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includesNagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam,Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCEMinsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Azerbaijan Army 100 - VİDEO
- 24.06.2018The demonstration flights of the "Solo-Turk" and "Turkish Stars" aircraft to hold in Baku
- 23.06.2018Defense Ministry: Azerbaijani Army is in full control of operational situation along contact line
- 23.06.2018Turkish aircraft arrive in Azerbaijan to participate in festive events
- 23.06.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 22.06.2018Military balance between Azerbaijan, Armenia changed in Baku’s favor – defense minister
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani army held over 20 tactical exercises in 2017, defense minister says
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s engineering troops launch special tactical exercise
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani Armed Forces Day marked in London
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani Air Force continues preparation for upcoming military parade
- 22.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Artsrun Hovhannisyan continues to surprise people with his stupid comments
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani SBS issues statement on border shootout, wounded soldier awarded medal - UPDATED
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani army liberates strategic heights, controls winery in Nakhchivan - VİDEO
- 21.06.2018OSCE permanent representatives arrive in Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 20.06.2018Turkish servicemen arrive in Azerbaijan to participate in festive events
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani army conducts field exercises - PHOTOSESSION
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani defense minister calls on media to be sensitive while reporting solider deaths
- 20.06.2018Zakir Hasanov: Supreme Commander-in-Chief diplomatically brought down Sargsyan gov’t, without using weaponry
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani state meets all needs of army, says defense minister
- 20.06.2018Defense minister: Azerbaijani army now controls road to Lachin
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani army owns most advanced missile, artillery systems: defense minister
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani army fully ready and able to fulfill any command – defense minister
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MoD releases video about liberation of Gunnut village - VİDEO
- 20.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters continue flights over Baku in preparation for parade
- 19.06.2018Minister of Defense participates in opening of military unit of Rocket and Artillery Troops in frontline zone
- 19.06.2018Next tactical UAV belonging to Armenia destroyed
- 19.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 95 times
- 18.06.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.06.2018Azerbaijan’s defense minister: Our army must always be ready to suppress provocation of enemy
- 16.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijani Army Corps exercises successfully completed
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters continue flights over Baku in preparation for parade
- 15.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 94 times
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani military conducts practical firing from DANA self-propelled artillery systems
- 14.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani army’s rocket, artillery formations conduct live-fire exercises - VİDEO
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan’s IFV crews improve combat skills
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani defense minister en route to Saudi Arabia
- 05.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 123 times
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia discuss military-technical co-op
- 04.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund top AZN 81M
- 03.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times