OSCE reps visit Aghdam district executive authority
Field assistants of the Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office - Jiri Aberle, Peter Swedberg and Simon Tiller met with the head of Aghdam district executive authority Ragum Mammadov on Dec. 8.
Following the meeting, OSCE representatives left for the contact line between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops.
The OSCE is due to monitor the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops on Dec. 8.
The monitoring will be held under the mandate of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office Personal Representative along the line of contact in the direction of Garadaghli village of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district.
On the Azerbaijani side, the monitoring will be held by field assistants of the OSCE chairperson-in-office personal representative Jiri Aberle, Peter Svedberg and Simon Tiller.
On the Azerbaijani territories occupied and controlled by Armenian armed forces, the monitoring will be carried out by field assistants of the OSCE chairperson-in-office personal representative Gennady Petrica and Hristo Hristov.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 16.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister orders to strengthen security in military units after provocation in Ganja
- 13.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 12.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 97 times
- 10.07.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers leave for Afghanistan
- 09.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire 83 times
- 06.07.2018Road accident in Nakhchivan kills 3 servicemen, 11 injured
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister chairs meeting on results of large-scale exercises
- 06.07.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 04.07.2018Live-fire stage of military exercises underway
- 04.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister holds meeting in field conditions
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Regrouping of combat aircraft carried out
- 03.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 84 times
- 02.07.2018Troops involved in military drills moving to operational areas: Azerbaijani MoD - VİDEO
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan army starts large-scale exercises - VIDEO
- 02.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Defense Minister: Enemy will feel Azerbaijani army’s strength if Karabakh conflict is not resolved fairly
- 29.06.2018Commemorative event held in Azerbaijan’s Aghstafa to honor martyr Adil Tatarov
- 29.06.2018Naval mine discovered in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 29.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Rules of admission to military lyceums in Azerbaijan changed
- 28.06.2018No incident during OSCE monitoring on Azerbaijan-Armenia border
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijani army under special regime due to high weather temperature
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan army to hold large-scale exercises
- 28.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.06.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 27.06.2018MoD: Azerbaijani army’s counteroffensive in Nakhchivan direction left Armenians ‘knocked out’
- 27.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 27.06.2018Polad Bulbuloglu: "Azerbaijan has every opportunity to resolve the Karabakh conflict by armed means"
- 26.06.2018Georgian defense minister: Georgia and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 26.06.2018Azerbaijani SBS responds to Iranian border guard commander’s statement
- 26.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Day will come when Azerbaijani flag raised on liberated lands is showcased in military parade on Azadlig Square
- 26.06.2018"Solo Turk" & "Turkish Stars" aviation groups conduct demonstration flights over Baku - PHOTOSESSION
- 26.06.2018Azerbaijan marks centenary of Armed Forces - PHOTOSESSION
- 26.06.2018Supreme Commander-in-Chief Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan destroyed myth of Armenian army
- 26.06.2018Solemn military parade held in Baku to mark centenary of Azerbaijani Armed Forces - UPDATED-1
- 08.12.2016OSCE holds regular contact line monitoring
- 08.12.2016New military police chief appointed in Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev signs order on conscription
- 08.12.2016Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijani defense ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attachés
- 07.12.2016OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops