OSCE reps visit Aghdam district executive authority
Field assistants of the Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office - Jiri Aberle, Peter Swedberg and Simon Tiller met with the head of Aghdam district executive authority Ragum Mammadov on Dec. 8.
Following the meeting, OSCE representatives left for the contact line between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops.
The OSCE is due to monitor the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops on Dec. 8.
The monitoring will be held under the mandate of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office Personal Representative along the line of contact in the direction of Garadaghli village of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district.
On the Azerbaijani side, the monitoring will be held by field assistants of the OSCE chairperson-in-office personal representative Jiri Aberle, Peter Svedberg and Simon Tiller.
On the Azerbaijani territories occupied and controlled by Armenian armed forces, the monitoring will be carried out by field assistants of the OSCE chairperson-in-office personal representative Gennady Petrica and Hristo Hristov.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018Personnel, military equipment involved in Azerbaijan’s large-scale drills return to places of permanent deployment - VİDEO
- 17.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.03.2018Defense Minister: Large-scale drills prove Azerbaijani army has high level of operational and combat readiness
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani defense minister visits new helicopter military unit in frontline zone - VİDEO
- 16.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of large-scale drills - VIDEO
- 15.03.201812 missiles found in Aghstafa
- 15.03.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 15.03.2018Armenia continues military drills in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 15.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2018Rocket, artillery troops of Azerbaijani army deployed to firing positions - VIDEO
- 14.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Actions taken on terrain board in course of military drills in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Terrain reconnaissance conducted during Azerbaijani army’s drills - VİDEO
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijan’s tank units involved in large-scale drills
- 13.03.2018Troops redeployed at night during Azerbaijani Army exercises
- 13.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani troops involved in large-scale exercises moving to operational areas - VIDEO
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan army starts large-scale exercises
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Service for Mobilization and Conscription
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Migration Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of servicemen of Special State Protection Service
- 09.03.2018Shamsaddin Heydarov awarded “Honored Doctor” title
- 09.03.2018Tofig Huseynov promoted to Major General
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan, Georgia ink military co-op plan for 2018
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president receives Georgian defense minister - UPDATED
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan to hold large-scale military drills involving 25,000 personnel
- 09.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Open Doors Day will be held on March 20
- 08.03.2018U.S. European Command held a seminar in Baku
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of servicemen of State Border Service
- 07.03.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 07.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 06.03.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on conscription
- 06.03.2018Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov visits military units on front line
- 06.03.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 05.03.2018ANAMA disarms 1,437 UXOs, 1 anti-tank mine in February
- 05.03.2018Azerbaijani president increases salaries of military servants and non-civil servants
- 05.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva inaugurates new education block of Special School of State Border Service
- 05.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2016OSCE holds regular contact line monitoring
- 08.12.2016New military police chief appointed in Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev signs order on conscription
- 08.12.2016Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijani defense ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attachés
- 07.12.2016OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops