No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
The monitoring was held under the mandate of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office Personal Representative along the line of contact in the direction of the Ashagi Veysalli village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district on January 12.
On the Azerbaijani side, the monitoring was held by field assistants of the OSCE chairperson-in-office personal representative Hristo Hristov, Simon Tiller and representative of the High Level Planning Group, Major Javit Elias.
On the Azerbaijani territories occupied and controlled by Armenian armed forces, the monitoring was carried out by field assistant of the OSCE chairperson-in-office personal representative Peter Svedberg and head of the High Level Planning Group, Colonel Hans Lampalzer.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 47 times
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijan checks combat training level of mortar units stationed on frontline
- 17.01.2017Armenia fires at Azerbaijani army positions from reactive flamethrower
- 17.01.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.01.2017Armenia again aggravates situation on frontline: Azerbaijani Defense Ministry
- 16.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 42 times
- 14.01.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev views newly-constructed ship of State Border Service
- 11.01.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 11.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 42 times
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijani President: "Additional measures to be taken for strengthening our military potential"
- 10.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 40 times
- 09.01.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 36 times
- 07.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 39 times
- 06.01.2017ANAMA disarms 1068 UXOs, 14 mines in December
- 06.01.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.01.2017Armed incident in Armenian military unit in Karabakh leaves two wounded
- 05.01.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund exceed 79M manats
- 05.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 36 times
- 04.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 31 times
- 03.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 38 times
- 02.01.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.12.2016Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of spreading disinformation
- 30.12.2016Azerbaijan says Armenia’s leadership bears responsibility for latest diversion attempt
- 30.12.2016Azerbaijan appeals to int’l organizations to get back body of its soldier killed by Armenians
- 29.12.2016December 29 diversion was pre-planned by Yerevan: retired general
- 29.12.2016Azerbaijani army intercepts Armenian drone
- 29.12.2016Azerbaijan denies Armenian media reports of military losses
- 29.12.2016Azerbaijan: Investigation underway to ascertain fate of missing soldier
- 29.12.2016Azerbaijani army prevents Armenian diversion, enemy suffers losses
- 29.12.2016Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 39 times
- 28.12.2016Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan, Bahrain mull prospects of military co-op
- 27.12.2016Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 46 times
- 26.12.2016Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 24.12.2016Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 43 times
- 23.12.2016Azerbaijan ready to liberate occupied territories by military means: retired general
- 23.12.2016Panicked by ‘Ildirim’, Armenia continues to keep silent, says retired colonel
- 23.12.2016Azerbaijani Air Defense Troops hold live-fire drills
- 23.12.2016Azerbaijan checks combat readiness of frontline military units
- 12.01.2017Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov visits Azerbaijani-Armenian border
- 13.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 50 times
- 13.01.2017Armenian drone drops explosive on Azerbaijani territory: Defense Ministry
- 12.01.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2017Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new barrack, military-household complex in Nakhchivan
- 11.01.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan