Monitoring on Azerbaijan-Armenia border goes without incidents
The monitoring was carried out today near the Alibayli village of Azerbaijan’s Tovuz district under the mandate of the OSCE chairperson-in-office personal representative.
On the Azerbaijani side, the monitoring was held by Simon Tiller and Mikhail Olaru, field assistants of the OSCE chairperson-in-office personal representative.
On the Azerbaijani territories occupied and controlled by Armenian armed forces, the monitoring was held by Andrzej Kasprzyk, ambassador and the OSCE chairperson-in-office personal representative, and his field assistants Ghenadie Petrica and Martin Schuster.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 19.08.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.08.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry dismisses another Armenian disinformation
- 18.08.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 17.08.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.08.2017President awards State Border Service employees
- 16.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 15.08.2017Current situation in the front-line units of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces has been checked
- 15.08.2017State Border Service holds large-scale exercises in Caspian Sea
- 15.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 14.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 13.08.2017Iranian warships left Baku port
- 13.08.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister took part in closing ceremony of “International Army Games-2017” - PHOTOSESSION
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijan and Russia intend to develop military-technical cooperation
- 12.08.2017Russian warships leave Baku port
- 11.08.2017Zakir Hasanov departs for Moscow on a visit
- 11.08.2017Closing ceremony of Sea Cup 2017 held in Baku
- 11.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 10.08.2017"Sea Cup-2017" international contest’s winners determined
- 10.08.2017General: Armenia’s intention to compensate its defeats on frontline in virtual space is failure
- 10.08.2017Last episode of "Sea Cup - 2017" contest completed
- 10.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.08.2017Baku to host final stage of 'Sea Cup - 2017' int'l contest
- 09.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 08.08.2017Repair and maintenance center for armored fighting vehicles opened in Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani military sailors achieved next success at 'Sea Cup - 2017'
- 08.08.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 07.08.2017Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan conducting joint naval exercises
- 07.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 146 times
- 06.08.2017“G-124” warship of Azerbaijan Naval Forces successfully fired at sea target - VİDEO
- 05.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 141 times
- 04.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 138 times
- 03.08.2017Next stage of "Sea Cup - 2017" contest to involve MiG-29 fighter aircrafts
- 03.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 141 times
- 02.08.2017Azerbaijani servicemen presented samples of culture in the House of Friendship
- 02.08.2017Artillery fire will be conducted on sea targets in "Sea Cup - 2017" contest
- 02.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 01.08.2017President: Azerbaijan’s hosting “Sea Cup – 2017” proves its increasing prestige in the world
- 01.08.2017Nearly 300 personnel to join “Sea Cup – 2017” in Baku
- 01.08.2017Solemn opening ceremony of "Masters of Artillery Fire" and "Sniper Frontier" contests held in Kazakhstan
- 07.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Air Force Training Center
- 07.06.2017Zakir Hasanov gives instructions for improving combat qualities of snipers
- 08.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times
- 06.06.2017Expert: External impact on Metsamor NPP may result in death of hundreds of thousands of Armenians
- 06.06.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia