Iran ready to help Azerbaijan increase its military power – defense minister
On February 21, Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister, Colonel General Zakir Hasanov met a delegation led by Iran’s Minister of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics, Brigadier General Amir Hatami.
Prior to the meeting, the Iranian delegation visited the graves of national leader Heydar Aliyev and outstanding ophthalmologist, academician Zarifa Aliyeva in the Alley of Honors. The Iranian delegation also visited the Alley of Honor in Baku to pay tribute to Azerbaijan’s heroes, the Defense Ministry told APA.
Later on, an official welcome ceremony was held for the Iranian defense minister at Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry.
The Iranian minister reviewed the guard of honor, after which the national anthems of the two countries were performed.
According to the protocol, Brigadier General Amir Hatami signed the Book of Honor.
The defense ministers first held a one-on-one meeting, which was continued in an expanded format with the participation of the two countries’ delegations.
Hasanov congratulated Amir Hatami on his appointment as Iran’s defense minister. The Azerbaijani minister described Amir Hatami’s first visit as defense minister to Azerbaijan as a high indicator of friendly relations between the two countries.
Minister Hasanov particularly emphasized the merits of national leader Heydar Aliyev and President Ilham Aliyev in establishing mutual trust between Azerbaijan and Iran, and in developing bilateral ties.
The Azerbaijani defense minister also touched upon the military and political situation in the region. Hasanov noted that the unresolved Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict still poses a serious threat to regional stability.
Minister Hasanov expressed gratitude to the Iranian side for its efforts towards the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity and sovereignty.
Brigadier General A. Hatami, in turn, said that religious, historical and cultural ties between the two countries are based on traditions of good friendship. The Iranian minister said there is a great potential for military cooperation between the two countries.
He went on to say that Iran recognizes Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity and supports its just position on the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Hatami stressed that Iran, as a Muslim country, is interested in increasing the military power of Azerbaijan and stands ready to provide any assistance in this sphere.
The sides further exchanged views on the prospects for the development of cooperation in the military, military-technical, military-medical and military-educational spheres, for the organization of mutual visits of expert groups and other issues of common interest.
- 24.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 106 times
- 23.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 19.03.2018Group of Azerbaijani military officers promoted to colonel
- 19.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Personnel, military equipment involved in Azerbaijan’s large-scale drills return to places of permanent deployment - VİDEO
- 17.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.03.2018Defense Minister: Large-scale drills prove Azerbaijani army has high level of operational and combat readiness
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani defense minister visits new helicopter military unit in frontline zone - VİDEO
- 16.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of large-scale drills - VIDEO
- 15.03.201812 missiles found in Aghstafa
- 15.03.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 15.03.2018Armenia continues military drills in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 15.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2018Rocket, artillery troops of Azerbaijani army deployed to firing positions - VIDEO
- 14.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Actions taken on terrain board in course of military drills in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Terrain reconnaissance conducted during Azerbaijani army’s drills - VİDEO
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijan’s tank units involved in large-scale drills
- 13.03.2018Troops redeployed at night during Azerbaijani Army exercises
- 13.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani troops involved in large-scale exercises moving to operational areas - VIDEO
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan army starts large-scale exercises
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Service for Mobilization and Conscription
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Migration Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of servicemen of Special State Protection Service
- 09.03.2018Shamsaddin Heydarov awarded “Honored Doctor” title
- 09.03.2018Tofig Huseynov promoted to Major General
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan, Georgia ink military co-op plan for 2018
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president receives Georgian defense minister - UPDATED
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan to hold large-scale military drills involving 25,000 personnel
- 09.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Open Doors Day will be held on March 20
- 08.03.2018U.S. European Command held a seminar in Baku
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of servicemen of State Border Service
- 07.03.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 07.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 06.03.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on conscription
- 06.03.2018Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov visits military units on front line
- 06.03.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani army intercepts Armenian quadcopter
- 22.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister leaves for Minsk
- 21.02.2018OSCE monitors border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 21.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk meets with head of Gazakh district executive authority
- 21.02.2018Iran's defense minister arrives in Azerbaijan