Frontline tension escalates in February, Armenia violates ceasefire over 1,200 times
In February 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 1,266 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according to the results of the APA’s calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
The Armenian military used large-caliber machine guns, grenade launchers, 60-, 82- and 120-mm mortars, 122mm howitzers, sniper rifles and D-44 artillery guns to shell the Azerbaijani army positions.
Last month, Armenian reconnaissance-subversive groups repeatedly resorted to sabotage infiltration attempt in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops. The Azerbaijani army successfully prevented all the sabotage attempts, destroying the Armenian reconnaissance-subversive groups, the enemy’s pillbox and a military vehicle with Armenian personnel inside. The enemy suffered losses and was forced to retreat.
Azerbaijani extended serviceman, lance sergeant Fuad Gafarov and soldier Khanoglan Khalilov were killed as the Armenian armed forces shelled the positions of the Azerbaijani army last month.
Moreover, Azerbaijani servicemen Agshin Abdullayev, Shahlar Nazarov, Tural Hashimli, Zulfu Gadimov, Zakir Jafarov and Elvin Ahmadov were killed while preventing Armenian provocations along the line of contact on the night from February 26 to 25.
On February 25, the Azerbaijani armed forces destroyed an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) belong to the Armenian army. The UAV was show down while attempting to carry out reconnaissance flights near Azerbaijan’s Talish village.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 130 times in 24 hours
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia’s defamatory information aimed at blackmailing int’l organizations
- 25.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 24.05.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 24.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijani, Georgian, Turkish special forces to hold joint drills
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijani, Georgia and Turkey mull prospects for military co-op - UPDATED
- 23.05.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijani, Georgian, Turkish defense ministers to meet in Batumi
- 22.05.2017Georgian PM meets Azerbaijani defense minister
- 22.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 20.05.2017NATO evaluation exercise carried out with company of Operational Capabilities Concept
- 20.05.2017Armenia throws nearly 50 shell at Azerbaijani positions
- 19.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia’s combat and non-combat losses are more than official figures suggest
- 18.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using machine guns, mortars
- 17.05.2017MoD: Armenia confirmed to have shelled Azerbaijani settlements
- 17.05.2017Armenian army opened fire at Azerbaijani settlements: MoD
- 17.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 16.05.2017Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff to attend NATO meeting
- 16.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 13.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 140 times
- 12.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.05.2017MoD: Vehicle allegedly belonging to Armenian TV company opens fire at Azerbaijani army positions, gets retaliated against
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani defense industry enterprises, Turkey’s ASELSAN sign 4 memos
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan test-fires Shimshak combat module
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan soon to start exporting Yalguzag sniper rifles
- 11.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times in 24 hours
- 10.05.2017Minister: Azerbaijan to begin producing UAVs with both reconnaissance and assault capabilities - INTERVIEW
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijan rejects 'Mossad role' in exposing group involved in conspiracy with Armenians
- 10.05.2017New aircraft presented for Azerbaijani Air Force
- 10.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijani Defense Minister attending IDEF-2017
- 09.05.2017Russia holds Victory Day military parade
- 09.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 111 times
- 08.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.05.2017Armenia's provocation plan timely elicited in Tartar direction - Azerbaijani MoD
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey finish joint military drills
- 05.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenia’s armored vehicles
- 01.03.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier laid to rest
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier buried in Sheki
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier buried in Beylagan