Frontline tension escalates in February, Armenia violates ceasefire over 1,200 times
In February 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 1,266 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according to the results of the APA’s calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
The Armenian military used large-caliber machine guns, grenade launchers, 60-, 82- and 120-mm mortars, 122mm howitzers, sniper rifles and D-44 artillery guns to shell the Azerbaijani army positions.
Last month, Armenian reconnaissance-subversive groups repeatedly resorted to sabotage infiltration attempt in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops. The Azerbaijani army successfully prevented all the sabotage attempts, destroying the Armenian reconnaissance-subversive groups, the enemy’s pillbox and a military vehicle with Armenian personnel inside. The enemy suffered losses and was forced to retreat.
Azerbaijani extended serviceman, lance sergeant Fuad Gafarov and soldier Khanoglan Khalilov were killed as the Armenian armed forces shelled the positions of the Azerbaijani army last month.
Moreover, Azerbaijani servicemen Agshin Abdullayev, Shahlar Nazarov, Tural Hashimli, Zulfu Gadimov, Zakir Jafarov and Elvin Ahmadov were killed while preventing Armenian provocations along the line of contact on the night from February 26 to 25.
On February 25, the Azerbaijani armed forces destroyed an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) belong to the Armenian army. The UAV was show down while attempting to carry out reconnaissance flights near Azerbaijan’s Talish village.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017Azerbaijani members of tank crew take part in draw of 'Tank biathlon' contest
- 25.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 24.07.2017Defense Ministry: Armenia wants to justify its provocations against Azerbaijani civilians
- 24.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 155 times
- 23.07.2017Russian warships arrive in Baku - VIDEO
- 22.07.2017Iranian and Kazakh warships arrive in Baku
- 22.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 132 times
- 21.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers return from Afghanistan
- 19.07.2017OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops passes without incidents
- 19.07.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijani defense minister checks combat readiness of personnel in Navy Training Complex
- 18.07.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 18.07.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 138 times
- 17.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.07.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times in 24 hours
- 15.07.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 114 times in 24 hours
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan opens Center for Maintenance and Repair of Communication Means for Armed Forces
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan considers purchasing more weapons from Russia
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan says it’s studying Russia’s experience in Syria operations
- 13.07.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 12.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army capable of destroying any target in occupied lands
- 12.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2017Special medal established in honor of Azerbaijani Army’s 100th anniversary
- 11.07.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 133 times
- 10.07.2017Defense Ministry: Reports of death of Azerbaijani military serviceman nothing but ‘lie’
- 10.07.2017Russia delivers new batch of military equipment and ammunition to Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijani Defense Minister inspects combat readiness of front line units and formations
- 08.07.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars, howitzers
- 08.07.2017Chief of General Staff of the Armed Forces attended the Defense Conference
- 07.07.2017Azerbaijani army strikes Armenian combat-ready units - VIDEO
- 07.07.2017Azerbaijani army strikes leave 3 Armenian soldiers wounded - Armenian sources
- 07.07.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijan provides evidence for lack of firing points in Alkhanli village
- 06.07.2017Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff leaves for New York
- 06.07.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 142 times in 24 hours
- 05.07.2017A group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 05.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 130 times
- 01.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenia’s armored vehicles
- 01.03.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier laid to rest
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier buried in Sheki
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier buried in Beylagan