Frontline tension escalates in February, Armenia violates ceasefire over 1,200 times
In February 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 1,266 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according to the results of the APA’s calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
The Armenian military used large-caliber machine guns, grenade launchers, 60-, 82- and 120-mm mortars, 122mm howitzers, sniper rifles and D-44 artillery guns to shell the Azerbaijani army positions.
Last month, Armenian reconnaissance-subversive groups repeatedly resorted to sabotage infiltration attempt in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops. The Azerbaijani army successfully prevented all the sabotage attempts, destroying the Armenian reconnaissance-subversive groups, the enemy’s pillbox and a military vehicle with Armenian personnel inside. The enemy suffered losses and was forced to retreat.
Azerbaijani extended serviceman, lance sergeant Fuad Gafarov and soldier Khanoglan Khalilov were killed as the Armenian armed forces shelled the positions of the Azerbaijani army last month.
Moreover, Azerbaijani servicemen Agshin Abdullayev, Shahlar Nazarov, Tural Hashimli, Zulfu Gadimov, Zakir Jafarov and Elvin Ahmadov were killed while preventing Armenian provocations along the line of contact on the night from February 26 to 25.
On February 25, the Azerbaijani armed forces destroyed an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) belong to the Armenian army. The UAV was show down while attempting to carry out reconnaissance flights near Azerbaijan’s Talish village.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of Command-Staff War Games
- 20.11.2017NATO Days in Azerbaijan Armed Forces
- 20.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.11.2017The troops of the Nakhchivan garrison continue activity in the Command-Staff War Games - VIDEO
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister holds meeting with command staff involved in war games
- 17.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan sign plan for military cooperation
- 16.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani army to hold command-staff war games
- 15.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 14.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 10.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.11.2017Defense minister addresses NATO meeting
- 09.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 08.11.2017Military experts of Azerbaijan and Germany hold meeting
- 08.11.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 08.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.11.2017Military attachés accredited to Azerbaijan visit Naval Forces
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister to attend NATO meeting
- 07.11.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 07.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 133 times
- 06.11.2017Azerbaijan to institute ‘Rashadat’ order for Armed Forces
- 06.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 03.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves agreement on training of Afghan servicemen in Azerbaijan
- 03.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.11.2017Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov and Andrzej Kasprzyk mull current situation on contact line
- 02.11.2017Armenia resorts to provocation on border with Azerbaijan
- 02.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.11.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund exceed AZN 86 mln
- 01.11.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 31.10.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,500 times in October
- 31.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 30.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 103 times
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijan successfully conducts evaluation of Naval Forces Boarding Party on NATO standards
- 27.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijani, German defense ministries hold bilateral talks
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers return from Afghanistan
- 01.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenia’s armored vehicles
- 01.03.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier laid to rest
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier buried in Sheki
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier buried in Beylagan