Frontline tension escalates in February, Armenia violates ceasefire over 1,200 times
In February 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 1,266 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according to the results of the APA’s calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
The Armenian military used large-caliber machine guns, grenade launchers, 60-, 82- and 120-mm mortars, 122mm howitzers, sniper rifles and D-44 artillery guns to shell the Azerbaijani army positions.
Last month, Armenian reconnaissance-subversive groups repeatedly resorted to sabotage infiltration attempt in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops. The Azerbaijani army successfully prevented all the sabotage attempts, destroying the Armenian reconnaissance-subversive groups, the enemy’s pillbox and a military vehicle with Armenian personnel inside. The enemy suffered losses and was forced to retreat.
Azerbaijani extended serviceman, lance sergeant Fuad Gafarov and soldier Khanoglan Khalilov were killed as the Armenian armed forces shelled the positions of the Azerbaijani army last month.
Moreover, Azerbaijani servicemen Agshin Abdullayev, Shahlar Nazarov, Tural Hashimli, Zulfu Gadimov, Zakir Jafarov and Elvin Ahmadov were killed while preventing Armenian provocations along the line of contact on the night from February 26 to 25.
On February 25, the Azerbaijani armed forces destroyed an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) belong to the Armenian army. The UAV was show down while attempting to carry out reconnaissance flights near Azerbaijan’s Talish village.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2017Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff attends int’l defense exhibition in Croatia
- 26.04.2017Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff on visit to Croatia
- 26.04.2017Commander of Turkish Gendarmerie Forces arrives in Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 26.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijan ratifies military financial cooperation agreement with Turkey
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijan displays weapons, military equipment to be used in its joint drills with Turkey
- 25.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 24.04.2017World military spending: increases in U.S. and Europe, decreases in oil-exporting countries
- 24.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 113 times
- 22.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey to hold joint military drills
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry holds enlarged board meeting
- 21.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijani army stages live-fire exercises
- 20.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani army’s large-scale drills enter next phase
- 19.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan continues large-scale military drills
- 18.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 119 times
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani army continues large-scale exercises
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets Iran’s parliament speaker
- 17.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.04.2017Armed Forces started large-scale exercises - UPDATED - VIDEO
- 15.04.2017Azerbaijani defense minister embarks on official visit to Iran
- 15.04.2017Ceremony devoted to anniversary of April battles held in Baku
- 15.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 116 times
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijan to produce new armed drone capable of destroying military facilities and equipment
- 14.04.2017Russia Today presents photo gallery dedicated to Azerbaijan’s military power
- 14.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan to hold large-scale military drills
- 13.04.2017Armenia begins military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 13.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss issues of naval cooperation
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets Turkish navy commander
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 12.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 116 times
- 11.04.2017Turkish Navy commander arrives in Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 08.04.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier’s medal presented to family
- 01.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenia’s armored vehicles
- 01.03.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier laid to rest
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier buried in Sheki
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier buried in Beylagan