Expert: External impact on Metsamor NPP may result in death of hundreds of thousands of Armenians
He was commenting on an article by an Armenian expert on the Metsamor nuke plant (http://bit.ly/2szA2XD).
Rustamzade noted that Armenia’s current leadership has made statements that the Armenian army can strike strategic facilities, including the Mingachevir reservoir, found on Azerbaijani territory.
“Such groundless claims are solely meant for the naive population. Azerbaijan’s air space, especially over the Mingachevir reservoir, is protected with advanced air defense equipment. The materials used for the construction of the reservoir, its capacity and other features ensure its safety from outside impacts,” said the expert.
“The threats voiced by Armenia that it can use “Iskandar” missiles against Azerbaijan give grounds to official Baku to decide on shooting down the enemy’s strategic facilities. Although Azerbaijan several times stated that it doesn’t target the enemy’s non-military facilities, accidental falling of a missile on the Nuclear Power Plant, in consideration of favorable weather condition, can lead to destruction of its nuclear reactor and spread of radioactive waste around.
The radioactive dust caused by failure of the Nuclear Power Plant will directly expose surrounding cities and settlements to radioactive contamination. Taking into account the topography of the territory, it can be assumed that the radioactive zone will cover only Armenia, about 50 thousand people will die from poisoning and living will be limited in this space in the next 150 years.
It is not excluded that as a result of any accident, 25000-30000 people will suffer and die in densely populated cities of Yerevan, Echmiadzin and Armavir within an hour. Ararat, Razdan, Vanadzor, Spitak cities will be strongly affected by radiation over the next 2-4 hours, and Stepanavan, Alaverdi, Ijevan and Vardenis cities over the next 4-6 hours being surrounded by contamination zones. Due to expansion of radiation zones over the next few days, the number of people affected by radiation will reach up to nearly 40,000-50,000”, he said.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 79 times
- 25.05.2018OCC reconnaissance company SEL exercises finish in Baku
- 25.05.2018Armenia launches military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 25.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 24.05.2018Distinguished Visitors Day held during OCC reconnaissance company exercises
- 24.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2018SEL exercises kick off in Baku as part of Operational Capabilities Concept - VİDEO
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets NATO generals
- 23.05.2018Armenian soldier found dead at combat position
- 23.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 88 times
- 21.05.2018Baku: Armenian reports on alleged involvement of tactical, military aircraft in drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands ‘exaggerated’
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani serviceman killed in Armenian provocation laid to rest
- 21.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 102 times
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s economic growth, increasing military potential brought Armenia to collapse, says defense minister
- 18.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets heads of Turkish, Georgian military educational institutions
- 17.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Combines Arms Army stages live-fire drills in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev views Combined Army Unit’s training and educational center, inaugurates newly built military hospital
- 16.05.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 16.05.2018Baku hosts meeting of chiefs of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian high military educational institutions
- 16.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 92 times
- 15.05.2018Baku hosts NATO Standing Group of Partner Logistics Experts meeting
- 15.05.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister inaugurates several military facilities
- 14.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.05.2018Defense Minister: "Azerbaijan Army is fully prepared for large-scale combat operations"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani army capable of performing most challenging tasks: presidential aide
- 11.05.2018Hand grenade and cartridges of various calibers found in Baku
- 11.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan Defense Minister visits "Efes-2018" Exercises Management Center
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan defense minister watches "Efes-2018" int’l exercises
- 10.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan’s high-ranking military officers pay tribute to national hero Albert Agarunov
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit Turkey
- 08.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 07.06.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times
- 07.06.2017Monitoring on Azerbaijan-Armenia border goes without incidents
- 07.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Air Force Training Center
- 06.06.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 06.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.06.2017Post of border troops commander abolished in Azerbaijan