Expert: External impact on Metsamor NPP may result in death of hundreds of thousands of Armenians
He was commenting on an article by an Armenian expert on the Metsamor nuke plant (http://bit.ly/2szA2XD).
Rustamzade noted that Armenia’s current leadership has made statements that the Armenian army can strike strategic facilities, including the Mingachevir reservoir, found on Azerbaijani territory.
“Such groundless claims are solely meant for the naive population. Azerbaijan’s air space, especially over the Mingachevir reservoir, is protected with advanced air defense equipment. The materials used for the construction of the reservoir, its capacity and other features ensure its safety from outside impacts,” said the expert.
“The threats voiced by Armenia that it can use “Iskandar” missiles against Azerbaijan give grounds to official Baku to decide on shooting down the enemy’s strategic facilities. Although Azerbaijan several times stated that it doesn’t target the enemy’s non-military facilities, accidental falling of a missile on the Nuclear Power Plant, in consideration of favorable weather condition, can lead to destruction of its nuclear reactor and spread of radioactive waste around.
The radioactive dust caused by failure of the Nuclear Power Plant will directly expose surrounding cities and settlements to radioactive contamination. Taking into account the topography of the territory, it can be assumed that the radioactive zone will cover only Armenia, about 50 thousand people will die from poisoning and living will be limited in this space in the next 150 years.
It is not excluded that as a result of any accident, 25000-30000 people will suffer and die in densely populated cities of Yerevan, Echmiadzin and Armavir within an hour. Ararat, Razdan, Vanadzor, Spitak cities will be strongly affected by radiation over the next 2-4 hours, and Stepanavan, Alaverdi, Ijevan and Vardenis cities over the next 4-6 hours being surrounded by contamination zones. Due to expansion of radiation zones over the next few days, the number of people affected by radiation will reach up to nearly 40,000-50,000”, he said.
Related news releases
- 19.08.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.08.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry dismisses another Armenian disinformation
- 18.08.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 17.08.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.08.2017President awards State Border Service employees
- 16.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 15.08.2017Current situation in the front-line units of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces has been checked
- 15.08.2017State Border Service holds large-scale exercises in Caspian Sea
- 15.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 14.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 13.08.2017Iranian warships left Baku port
- 13.08.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister took part in closing ceremony of “International Army Games-2017” - PHOTOSESSION
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijan and Russia intend to develop military-technical cooperation
- 12.08.2017Russian warships leave Baku port
- 11.08.2017Zakir Hasanov departs for Moscow on a visit
- 11.08.2017Closing ceremony of Sea Cup 2017 held in Baku
- 11.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 10.08.2017"Sea Cup-2017" international contest’s winners determined
- 10.08.2017General: Armenia’s intention to compensate its defeats on frontline in virtual space is failure
- 10.08.2017Last episode of "Sea Cup - 2017" contest completed
- 10.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.08.2017Baku to host final stage of 'Sea Cup - 2017' int'l contest
- 09.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 08.08.2017Repair and maintenance center for armored fighting vehicles opened in Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani military sailors achieved next success at 'Sea Cup - 2017'
- 08.08.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 07.08.2017Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan conducting joint naval exercises
- 07.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 146 times
- 06.08.2017“G-124” warship of Azerbaijan Naval Forces successfully fired at sea target - VİDEO
- 05.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 141 times
- 04.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 138 times
- 03.08.2017Next stage of "Sea Cup - 2017" contest to involve MiG-29 fighter aircrafts
- 03.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 141 times
- 02.08.2017Azerbaijani servicemen presented samples of culture in the House of Friendship
- 02.08.2017Artillery fire will be conducted on sea targets in "Sea Cup - 2017" contest
- 02.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 01.08.2017President: Azerbaijan’s hosting “Sea Cup – 2017” proves its increasing prestige in the world
- 01.08.2017Nearly 300 personnel to join “Sea Cup – 2017” in Baku
- 01.08.2017Solemn opening ceremony of "Masters of Artillery Fire" and "Sniper Frontier" contests held in Kazakhstan
- 07.06.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times
- 07.06.2017Monitoring on Azerbaijan-Armenia border goes without incidents
- 07.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Air Force Training Center
- 06.06.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 06.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.06.2017Post of border troops commander abolished in Azerbaijan