Armenian army opened fire at Azerbaijani settlements: MoD
Starting May 16 evening, Armenian armed forces have opened fire at Azerbaijani positions on the frontline in the direction of the country’s Aghdam district and settlements using mortars of different caliber, Azerbaijan's Ministry of Defense told APA on May 17.
The Armenian army was also using combat drones, but due to their poor quality, no damage was caused, said the ministry.
As a result of urgent measures, Azerbaijani armed forces suppressed the enemy shelling, and there were no casualties among the forces’ personnel. The shells fired by the enemy fell mainly on empty sowing areas and nearby settlements, the ministry noted.
The operational situation is under full control of the Azerbaijani army, the ministry added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2017The opening of the two new military camps were held in the frontline zone
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of large-scale drills
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia once again used combat drones
- 22.06.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 22.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian UAV
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan releases footage of captured Armenian sabotage group member
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan captures Armenian sabotage group member
- 20.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on two military servicemen
- 20.06.2017Four colonels of Azerbaijani army promoted to rank of major general
- 20.06.2017Armenian provocation intercepted at Azerbaijan-Iran border
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani army continues large-scale exercises
- 20.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani army starts large-scale drills
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement on latest situation on frontline
- 17.06.2017Defense ministry: Five Armenian servicemen were killed on frontline
- 17.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets graduates of Higher Military School
- 16.06.2017Unexploded aerial bomb found in Azerbaijan’s Ganja
- 16.06.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier laid to rest
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani army to conduct large-scale exercises
- 16.06.2017Defense minister: Enemy should know that Nakhchivan is defended by most professional army
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey stage joint military drills in Nakhchivan
- 16.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 129 times
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani soldier killed during Armenian provocation
- 15.06.2017Combat engineer units of Azerbaijani army hold tactical exercises
- 14.06.2017Foreign military attachés visit Azerbaijani military unit
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey continue joint military drills
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian special forces continue joint exercises
- 13.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.06.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister meets with Commander of Land Forces of Turkey
- 12.06.2017ANAMA disarms 499 UXOs, nearly 100 mines in May 2017
- 12.06.2017Azerbaijani and Turkish armed forces begin joint tactical exercises in Nakhchivan
- 10.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using machine guns, mortars
- 09.06.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia's special forces continue joint exercises
- 09.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 130 times
- 08.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2017Zakir Hasanov gives instructions for improving combat qualities of snipers
- 07.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Air Force Training Center
- 07.06.2017Monitoring on Azerbaijan-Armenia border goes without incidents
- 17.05.2017MoD: Armenia confirmed to have shelled Azerbaijani settlements
- 18.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using machine guns, mortars
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia’s combat and non-combat losses are more than official figures suggest
- 17.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 16.05.2017Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff to attend NATO meeting
- 16.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan