Armenian army opened fire at Azerbaijani settlements: MoD
Starting May 16 evening, Armenian armed forces have opened fire at Azerbaijani positions on the frontline in the direction of the country’s Aghdam district and settlements using mortars of different caliber, Azerbaijan's Ministry of Defense told APA on May 17.
The Armenian army was also using combat drones, but due to their poor quality, no damage was caused, said the ministry.
As a result of urgent measures, Azerbaijani armed forces suppressed the enemy shelling, and there were no casualties among the forces’ personnel. The shells fired by the enemy fell mainly on empty sowing areas and nearby settlements, the ministry noted.
The operational situation is under full control of the Azerbaijani army, the ministry added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.06.2018Azerbaijan’s defense minister: Our army must always be ready to suppress provocation of enemy
- 16.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijani Army Corps exercises successfully completed
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters continue flights over Baku in preparation for parade
- 15.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 94 times
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani military conducts practical firing from DANA self-propelled artillery systems
- 14.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani army’s rocket, artillery formations conduct live-fire exercises - VİDEO
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan’s IFV crews improve combat skills
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters conduct flights over Baku in preparation for parade - UPDATED
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan, Georgia sign agreement on activities of border commissioners
- 13.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan’s missile units conduct practical firing exercises - VIDEO
- 12.06.2018Polonez systems now at disposal of Azerbaijani Army - VIDEO
- 12.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan exhibits defense products at Eurosatory 2018 in Paris
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Defense Ministry’s military unit - UPDATED
- 11.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan defense minister attends NATO meeting
- 08.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijan Naval Forces conduct practical training
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to attend NATO meeting
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani defense products to go on display at Paris exhibition
- 07.06.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 07.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 05.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev views Defense Ministry’s military campus
- 05.06.2018Baku hosts working meeting with NATO education experts
- 05.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.06.2018NATO releases video clip about Azerbaijani peacekeepers in Afghanistan
- 04.06.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey complete joint military drills
- 04.06.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit Russia
- 04.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.06.2018Azerbaijani defense minister visits military units on frontline
- 01.06.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund revealed
- 01.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.05.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 2,900 times last month
- 31.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017MoD: Armenia confirmed to have shelled Azerbaijani settlements
- 18.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using machine guns, mortars
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia’s combat and non-combat losses are more than official figures suggest
- 17.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 16.05.2017Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff to attend NATO meeting
- 16.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan