Ceasefire violated by 4,065 times by Armenia last month
In July 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 4,065 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
Armenian forces used large-caliber machine guns, 60-, 82- and 120-mm mortar launchers, sniper rifles, 122-mm D-30 howitzers and grenade launchers while shelling the Azerbaijani army positions.
In July, the Azerbaijani army positions in the districts of Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Tartar, Khojavand, Goranboy, Gazakh, Gadabay, Tovuz, Goygol and Agstafa were shelled from the Armenian army positions.
The Azerbaijani Army was in full control of the operational situation along the entire line of contact.
Armenian forces shelled the Alkhanly village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district with 82- and 120-mm mortar launchers and grenade launchers, killing civilians Allahverdiyeva Sahiba (1966) and Guliyeva Zahra (2016). Another civilian Guliyeva Salminaz (1965) was wounded in the shelling and admitted to a military hospital.
In order to prevent another provocation planned by Armenia and avenge the killing of the two civilians, the Azerbaijani Army retaliated by pounding Armenian armed units which were in full combat readiness, eliminating a number of enemy soldiers. Several combat vehicles as well as military infrastructure facilities were destroyed in the retaliatory operation.
Armenians used a combat UAV along the contact line in the territory of Terter district. Carrying incendiary and explosive elements, the handmade device was thrown at an Azerbaijani military unit, which injured Azerbaijani soldier Babakishiyev Muraz Kamal oglu.
The Bala Jafarli and Gushchu Ayrim villages of Gazakh, Kohnaqishlaq village of Aghstafa, and Garalar village of Tovuz came under intensive fire from Armenian forces. The shelling caused damage to nearby civilians and fields. As a result, Azerbaijani soldier Akbarli Huseyn Zakir was killed in the Armenian shelling.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCEMinsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister leaves for Minsk
- 22.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani army intercepts Armenian quadcopter
- 21.02.2018Iran ready to help Azerbaijan increase its military power – defense minister
- 21.02.2018OSCE monitors border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 21.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk meets with head of Gazakh district executive authority
- 21.02.2018Iran's defense minister arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 135 times
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit Belarus
- 20.02.2018OSCE expected to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 20.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.02.2018Iran's defense minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ex-military official does not rule out ‘Armenian involvement’ in assassination attempt on Israeli defense minister
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan, UK ink military cooperation plan
- 16.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 123
- 15.02.2018Five artillery shells detected in Sumgayit
- 15.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 129 times
- 13.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018NATO training course underway in Baku
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani army prevents another border provocation by Armenia - VIDEO
- 12.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.02.2018Tasks set by Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief brought to attention of army’s command staff
- 10.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 09.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia to develop cooperation in defense industry
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s military policy has proved successful
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan accepts into armament new military equipment delivered by Russia
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijani army prevents Armenian provocation, one enemy soldier killed
- 08.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Azerbaijan's rocket and artillery formations conduct live-fire exercises - VIDEO
- 07.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 121 times
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia mull prospects for development of military co-op
- 06.02.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 06.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to visit Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Ramaldanov: Armenia has just been given ‘Kornet-E’ missile complexes, while Azerbaijan has had them for 10 years
- 05.02.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 01.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 01.08.2017Solemn opening ceremony of "Masters of Artillery Fire" and "Sniper Frontier" contests held in Kazakhstan
- 01.08.2017Nearly 300 personnel to join “Sea Cup – 2017” in Baku
- 31.07.2017Minister: ‘Volume of defense products transferred to power structures grew 1.3 fold
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan exporting UAVs, armed vehicles to more than 10 countries
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan, Israel discuss coop in defense industry area