Ceasefire violated by 4,065 times by Armenia last month
In July 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 4,065 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
Armenian forces used large-caliber machine guns, 60-, 82- and 120-mm mortar launchers, sniper rifles, 122-mm D-30 howitzers and grenade launchers while shelling the Azerbaijani army positions.
In July, the Azerbaijani army positions in the districts of Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Tartar, Khojavand, Goranboy, Gazakh, Gadabay, Tovuz, Goygol and Agstafa were shelled from the Armenian army positions.
The Azerbaijani Army was in full control of the operational situation along the entire line of contact.
Armenian forces shelled the Alkhanly village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district with 82- and 120-mm mortar launchers and grenade launchers, killing civilians Allahverdiyeva Sahiba (1966) and Guliyeva Zahra (2016). Another civilian Guliyeva Salminaz (1965) was wounded in the shelling and admitted to a military hospital.
In order to prevent another provocation planned by Armenia and avenge the killing of the two civilians, the Azerbaijani Army retaliated by pounding Armenian armed units which were in full combat readiness, eliminating a number of enemy soldiers. Several combat vehicles as well as military infrastructure facilities were destroyed in the retaliatory operation.
Armenians used a combat UAV along the contact line in the territory of Terter district. Carrying incendiary and explosive elements, the handmade device was thrown at an Azerbaijani military unit, which injured Azerbaijani soldier Babakishiyev Muraz Kamal oglu.
The Bala Jafarli and Gushchu Ayrim villages of Gazakh, Kohnaqishlaq village of Aghstafa, and Garalar village of Tovuz came under intensive fire from Armenian forces. The shelling caused damage to nearby civilians and fields. As a result, Azerbaijani soldier Akbarli Huseyn Zakir was killed in the Armenian shelling.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCEMinsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 18.08.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry dismisses another Armenian disinformation
- 18.08.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 17.08.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.08.2017President awards State Border Service employees
- 16.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 15.08.2017Current situation in the front-line units of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces has been checked
- 15.08.2017State Border Service holds large-scale exercises in Caspian Sea
- 15.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 14.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 13.08.2017Iranian warships left Baku port
- 13.08.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister took part in closing ceremony of “International Army Games-2017” - PHOTOSESSION
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijan and Russia intend to develop military-technical cooperation
- 12.08.2017Russian warships leave Baku port
- 11.08.2017Zakir Hasanov departs for Moscow on a visit
- 11.08.2017Closing ceremony of Sea Cup 2017 held in Baku
- 11.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 10.08.2017"Sea Cup-2017" international contest’s winners determined
- 10.08.2017General: Armenia’s intention to compensate its defeats on frontline in virtual space is failure
- 10.08.2017Last episode of "Sea Cup - 2017" contest completed
- 10.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.08.2017Baku to host final stage of 'Sea Cup - 2017' int'l contest
- 09.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 08.08.2017Repair and maintenance center for armored fighting vehicles opened in Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani military sailors achieved next success at 'Sea Cup - 2017'
- 08.08.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 07.08.2017Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan conducting joint naval exercises
- 07.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 146 times
- 06.08.2017“G-124” warship of Azerbaijan Naval Forces successfully fired at sea target - VİDEO
- 05.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 141 times
- 04.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 138 times
- 03.08.2017Next stage of "Sea Cup - 2017" contest to involve MiG-29 fighter aircrafts
- 03.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 141 times
- 02.08.2017Azerbaijani servicemen presented samples of culture in the House of Friendship
- 02.08.2017Artillery fire will be conducted on sea targets in "Sea Cup - 2017" contest
- 02.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 01.08.2017President: Azerbaijan’s hosting “Sea Cup – 2017” proves its increasing prestige in the world
- 31.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 29.07.2017Defense Ministry: Enemy resorted to another trick to conceal its failures
- 29.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 133 times
- 01.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 01.08.2017Solemn opening ceremony of "Masters of Artillery Fire" and "Sniper Frontier" contests held in Kazakhstan
- 01.08.2017Nearly 300 personnel to join “Sea Cup – 2017” in Baku
- 31.07.2017Minister: ‘Volume of defense products transferred to power structures grew 1.3 fold
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan exporting UAVs, armed vehicles to more than 10 countries
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan, Israel discuss coop in defense industry area