Ceasefire violated by 4,065 times by Armenia last month
In July 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 4,065 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
Armenian forces used large-caliber machine guns, 60-, 82- and 120-mm mortar launchers, sniper rifles, 122-mm D-30 howitzers and grenade launchers while shelling the Azerbaijani army positions.
In July, the Azerbaijani army positions in the districts of Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Tartar, Khojavand, Goranboy, Gazakh, Gadabay, Tovuz, Goygol and Agstafa were shelled from the Armenian army positions.
The Azerbaijani Army was in full control of the operational situation along the entire line of contact.
Armenian forces shelled the Alkhanly village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district with 82- and 120-mm mortar launchers and grenade launchers, killing civilians Allahverdiyeva Sahiba (1966) and Guliyeva Zahra (2016). Another civilian Guliyeva Salminaz (1965) was wounded in the shelling and admitted to a military hospital.
In order to prevent another provocation planned by Armenia and avenge the killing of the two civilians, the Azerbaijani Army retaliated by pounding Armenian armed units which were in full combat readiness, eliminating a number of enemy soldiers. Several combat vehicles as well as military infrastructure facilities were destroyed in the retaliatory operation.
Armenians used a combat UAV along the contact line in the territory of Terter district. Carrying incendiary and explosive elements, the handmade device was thrown at an Azerbaijani military unit, which injured Azerbaijani soldier Babakishiyev Muraz Kamal oglu.
The Bala Jafarli and Gushchu Ayrim villages of Gazakh, Kohnaqishlaq village of Aghstafa, and Garalar village of Tovuz came under intensive fire from Armenian forces. The shelling caused damage to nearby civilians and fields. As a result, Azerbaijani soldier Akbarli Huseyn Zakir was killed in the Armenian shelling.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCEMinsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Notion of Armed Forces specified in accord with Constitution
- 13.12.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 13.12.2017Armenia 136 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan in 24 hours
- 12.12.2017Baku hosts meeting of Azerbaijan-Russia intergovernmental commission for military-technical co-op
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijani Armed Forces to be given new duties
- 12.12.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 12.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.12.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan, Italy discuss military-technical cooperation
- 07.12.2017Protocol signed at 10th meeting of Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Military Dialogue
- 07.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 155 times
- 06.12.2017NATO Mobile Training Team holds training course in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss expanding military co-op
- 06.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Artillery shell found in center of Beylagan city
- 05.12.2017Baku hosts 10th meeting of Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Military Dialogue
- 05.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 138 times
- 05.12.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan becomes full member of International Committee of Military Medicine
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan plans to increase number of peacekeepers in Afghanistan next year
- 04.12.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Military Dialogue meeting
- 04.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on conscription
- 01.12.2017Tanks units of Azerbaijani army conduct live-fire training
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament adopts revised bill on Armed Forces
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish air forces discuss expansion of cooperation
- 01.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund rise
- 30.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times
- 29.11.2017Turkish Air Force commander arrives in Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister checks combat readiness of rocket and artillery units on frontline
- 29.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views military unit in Tartar district
- 28.11.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 28.11.2017Cadets of Azerbaijan High Military School start field exit
- 28.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 122 times
- 01.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 01.08.2017Solemn opening ceremony of "Masters of Artillery Fire" and "Sniper Frontier" contests held in Kazakhstan
- 01.08.2017Nearly 300 personnel to join “Sea Cup – 2017” in Baku
- 31.07.2017Minister: ‘Volume of defense products transferred to power structures grew 1.3 fold
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan exporting UAVs, armed vehicles to more than 10 countries
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan, Israel discuss coop in defense industry area