Azerbaijani parliament adopts bill on martial law - UPDATED
APA reports that the bill was put to vote and adopted.
The revised bill on martial law is being discussed in the Azerbaijani parliament.
Ziyafat Asgarov, First Vice-Speaker of the Parliament and Chairman of the Defense, Security and Anti-Corruption Committee, gave information about the bill.
The revised law comprises 6 paragraphs and 27 articles (the valid law comprises 5 paragraphs and 17 articles).
The valid law sates that in connection with the declaration of martial law in the country, the head of state shall appeal to the parliament, and the latter shall consider the appeal and pass a decision within 72 hours (according to the revised law, the period is reduced to 48 hours).
The other issues mentioned in the bill envisage the application of military regime in all authorities during martial law. It also covers the issues of creation of military commandants’ offices, prohibition on dislocation of people during martial law and other issues.
Moreover, the revised law envisages appealing relevant bodies regarding operation of mass media outlets in special regime, limiting or suspending their operations if there are legal grounds during the martial law.
According to the bill, Azerbaijan can apply military censorship on media upon the declaration of martial law in the country.
Military censorship includes pre-coordination of mass media information by military and state authorities, control on correspondences for the purpose of preventing illegal dissemination of state secrets, on TV and radio broadcast as well as phone and radio talks. The bill also bans rallies, marches and pickets in case of the introduction of martial law in the country. According to the bill, in case of actual occupation of some part of the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic, announcement of war by foreign country or countries against the Azerbaijan Republic, blockade of the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic and also whenever there is real danger of armed attack against the Azerbaijan Republic, blockade of the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic and also in case of real threat of such blockade, martial law is declared in the country.
It also envisages that citizens of states which have carried out aggression against Azerbaijan or pose a real threat to Azerbaijan’s defense interests and security will be interned in case martial law regime is declared.
It says in accordance with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, relevant executive authority informs secretaries general of the United Nations and Council of Europe about partial and temporary restriction of human/civil rights and freedoms during martial law, reasons for such a decision.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit China
- 25.04.2018OSCE monitors border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 24.04.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement regarding current situation in Armenia
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Appropriate measures to be taken against Armenian provocations
- 23.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Some countries imposed unfounded restrictions on arms sale to Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Smuggling of nuclear components from Armenia continues
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov meets with top NATO general
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct tactical exercises - VİDEO
- 19.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers return from Afghanistan
- 18.04.2018Shrapnel could not be extracted from body of Azerbaijani civilian wounded in Armenian shelling, says surgeon - UPDATED
- 18.04.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 17.04.2018Baku hosts course as part of NATO Operational Capabilities Concept Program
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani army downs Armenian drone
- 17.04.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 17.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.04.2018Military units of the armed forces of Armenia violated ceasefire 87 times
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD dismisses reports on alleged shelling of Armenian civilian truck
- 12.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 11.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.04.2018US National Defense University delegation arrives in Baku
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement
- 09.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Any possible provocations by enemy on eve of elections to be prevented
- 07.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 102 times
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards detain 1,344 wanted people since early 2018
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijani president: "Strengthening the military potential of our country is one of the main priorities"
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran mull military cooperation
- 04.04.201825 shells found in Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018U.S. ground troop experts launch seminar in Baku
- 03.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend Moscow Int’l Security Conference
- 03.04.2018ANAMA disarms 1,541 UXOs, 1 anti-tank mine in March
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct live-fire stage of drills - VIDEO
- 02.04.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund revealed
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijani border guards detain armed trespasser
- 15.02.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 14.02.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 22 times
- 13.02.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian subversive group - VIDEO
- 13.02.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan