Azerbaijani parliament adopts bill on martial law - UPDATED
APA reports that the bill was put to vote and adopted.
The revised bill on martial law is being discussed in the Azerbaijani parliament.
Ziyafat Asgarov, First Vice-Speaker of the Parliament and Chairman of the Defense, Security and Anti-Corruption Committee, gave information about the bill.
The revised law comprises 6 paragraphs and 27 articles (the valid law comprises 5 paragraphs and 17 articles).
The valid law sates that in connection with the declaration of martial law in the country, the head of state shall appeal to the parliament, and the latter shall consider the appeal and pass a decision within 72 hours (according to the revised law, the period is reduced to 48 hours).
The other issues mentioned in the bill envisage the application of military regime in all authorities during martial law. It also covers the issues of creation of military commandants’ offices, prohibition on dislocation of people during martial law and other issues.
Moreover, the revised law envisages appealing relevant bodies regarding operation of mass media outlets in special regime, limiting or suspending their operations if there are legal grounds during the martial law.
According to the bill, Azerbaijan can apply military censorship on media upon the declaration of martial law in the country.
Military censorship includes pre-coordination of mass media information by military and state authorities, control on correspondences for the purpose of preventing illegal dissemination of state secrets, on TV and radio broadcast as well as phone and radio talks. The bill also bans rallies, marches and pickets in case of the introduction of martial law in the country. According to the bill, in case of actual occupation of some part of the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic, announcement of war by foreign country or countries against the Azerbaijan Republic, blockade of the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic and also whenever there is real danger of armed attack against the Azerbaijan Republic, blockade of the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic and also in case of real threat of such blockade, martial law is declared in the country.
It also envisages that citizens of states which have carried out aggression against Azerbaijan or pose a real threat to Azerbaijan’s defense interests and security will be interned in case martial law regime is declared.
It says in accordance with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, relevant executive authority informs secretaries general of the United Nations and Council of Europe about partial and temporary restriction of human/civil rights and freedoms during martial law, reasons for such a decision.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2017Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff attends int’l defense exhibition in Croatia
- 26.04.2017Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff on visit to Croatia
- 26.04.2017Commander of Turkish Gendarmerie Forces arrives in Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 26.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijan ratifies military financial cooperation agreement with Turkey
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijan displays weapons, military equipment to be used in its joint drills with Turkey
- 25.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 24.04.2017World military spending: increases in U.S. and Europe, decreases in oil-exporting countries
- 24.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 113 times
- 22.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey to hold joint military drills
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry holds enlarged board meeting
- 21.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijani army stages live-fire exercises
- 20.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani army’s large-scale drills enter next phase
- 19.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan continues large-scale military drills
- 18.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 119 times
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani army continues large-scale exercises
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets Iran’s parliament speaker
- 17.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.04.2017Armed Forces started large-scale exercises - UPDATED - VIDEO
- 15.04.2017Azerbaijani defense minister embarks on official visit to Iran
- 15.04.2017Ceremony devoted to anniversary of April battles held in Baku
- 15.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 116 times
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijan to produce new armed drone capable of destroying military facilities and equipment
- 14.04.2017Russia Today presents photo gallery dedicated to Azerbaijan’s military power
- 14.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan to hold large-scale military drills
- 13.04.2017Armenia begins military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 13.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss issues of naval cooperation
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets Turkish navy commander
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 12.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 116 times
- 11.04.2017Turkish Navy commander arrives in Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 08.04.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier’s medal presented to family
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijani border guards detain armed trespasser
- 15.02.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 14.02.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 22 times
- 13.02.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian subversive group - VIDEO
- 13.02.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan