Azerbaijani parliament adopts bill on martial law - UPDATED
APA reports that the bill was put to vote and adopted.
The revised bill on martial law is being discussed in the Azerbaijani parliament.
Ziyafat Asgarov, First Vice-Speaker of the Parliament and Chairman of the Defense, Security and Anti-Corruption Committee, gave information about the bill.
The revised law comprises 6 paragraphs and 27 articles (the valid law comprises 5 paragraphs and 17 articles).
The valid law sates that in connection with the declaration of martial law in the country, the head of state shall appeal to the parliament, and the latter shall consider the appeal and pass a decision within 72 hours (according to the revised law, the period is reduced to 48 hours).
The other issues mentioned in the bill envisage the application of military regime in all authorities during martial law. It also covers the issues of creation of military commandants’ offices, prohibition on dislocation of people during martial law and other issues.
Moreover, the revised law envisages appealing relevant bodies regarding operation of mass media outlets in special regime, limiting or suspending their operations if there are legal grounds during the martial law.
According to the bill, Azerbaijan can apply military censorship on media upon the declaration of martial law in the country.
Military censorship includes pre-coordination of mass media information by military and state authorities, control on correspondences for the purpose of preventing illegal dissemination of state secrets, on TV and radio broadcast as well as phone and radio talks. The bill also bans rallies, marches and pickets in case of the introduction of martial law in the country. According to the bill, in case of actual occupation of some part of the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic, announcement of war by foreign country or countries against the Azerbaijan Republic, blockade of the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic and also whenever there is real danger of armed attack against the Azerbaijan Republic, blockade of the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic and also in case of real threat of such blockade, martial law is declared in the country.
It also envisages that citizens of states which have carried out aggression against Azerbaijan or pose a real threat to Azerbaijan’s defense interests and security will be interned in case martial law regime is declared.
It says in accordance with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, relevant executive authority informs secretaries general of the United Nations and Council of Europe about partial and temporary restriction of human/civil rights and freedoms during martial law, reasons for such a decision.
Related news releases
- 24.03.2017Azerbaijani Defense Minister checks organization of defense on frontline
- 24.03.2017Armenians violate ceasefire with Azerbaijan 109 times
- 22.03.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia breaks ceasefire 143 times in 24 hours
- 18.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts working meeting of int’l contest ‘Sea Cup-2017’
- 17.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 100 times
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani defense minister instructs to strengthen combat readiness of servicemen
- 15.03.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 15.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets with Turkish ambassador
- 14.03.2017Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff departs for Moscow
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijani defense industry minister meets Pakistani envoy
- 14.03.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 14.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 13.03.2017Working meeting with NATO experts on PARP and IPAP held in Baku
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan buys drone killer system from Turkey
- 13.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2017Martyred Azerbaijani serviceman laid to rest
- 11.03.2017Serviceman of Azerbaijani army killed
- 11.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia discuss military cooperation
- 10.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Interior Troops servicemen
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on conscription
- 10.03.2017ANAMA disarms 1,048 UXOs, 34 mines in Feb 2017
- 10.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 09.03.2017Azerbaijan, UK discuss holding next round of military talks
- 09.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 119 times
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijan to produce two other types of drones
- 06.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.03.2017Armenia suffered about 30 losses in last five days - Azerbaijani MoD
- 03.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 265 times
- 03.03.2017ICRC visits Armenian scout imprisoned in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian drone
- 02.03.2017Foreign military attachés accredited to Azerbaijan visit High Military School
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian military vehicle - VIDEO
- 02.03.2017Military expert: Footage clearly shows Armenian headquarters gets struck with high precision, those inside had no chance to survive
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian sabotage group
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijani border guards detain armed trespasser
- 15.02.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 14.02.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 22 times
- 13.02.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian subversive group - VIDEO
- 13.02.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan