Ilham Aliyev: ADR’s losing independence shows protection of sovereignty is ‘much more difficult than gaining it’
A solemn military parade was held in Baku to mark the centenary of the establishment of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijani President, Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces Ilham Aliyev took part in the military parade.
Addressing the military parade, the head of state congratulated the Azerbaijani people on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Armed Forces and wished all the military personnel success.
President Aliyev recalled that the 100th anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (ADR) was marked last month.
“One of the most important decisions of the ADR was to build an army. Unfortunately, the ADR lost its independence two years later. This once again shows that the protection of sovereignty is much more difficult than gaining it,” he said.
The head of state went on to say: “We regained our independence in 1991. The first two years of independence were difficult. In 1991-1992, the situation in Azerbaijan was complicated. Armenia pursued an aggressive policy, which led to the occupation of part of our lands. As a result of internal strife, there was a threat of losing independence. At this time, the Azerbaijani people invited Heydar Aliyev to power. After that the situation stabilized, Azerbaijan got out of this difficult situation.”
Supreme Commander-in-Chief Ilham Aliyev noted that there was not a regular army in the first years of Azerbaijan’s independence and separate armed groups could not defend the lands.
“For this reason, the decision of national leader Heydar Aliyev to create a regular army was a significant step. At that time, foreign investments were attracted to Azerbaijan, the economic and political reforms carried out in the country stabilized the situation. Azerbaijan has been following the path of development and progress since 1993,” President Aliyev added.
Related news releases
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister orders to strengthen security in military units after provocation in Ganja
- 13.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 12.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 97 times
- 10.07.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers leave for Afghanistan
- 09.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire 83 times
- 06.07.2018Road accident in Nakhchivan kills 3 servicemen, 11 injured
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister chairs meeting on results of large-scale exercises
- 06.07.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 04.07.2018Live-fire stage of military exercises underway
- 04.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister holds meeting in field conditions
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Regrouping of combat aircraft carried out
- 03.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 84 times
- 02.07.2018Troops involved in military drills moving to operational areas: Azerbaijani MoD - VİDEO
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan army starts large-scale exercises - VIDEO
- 02.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Defense Minister: Enemy will feel Azerbaijani army’s strength if Karabakh conflict is not resolved fairly
- 29.06.2018Commemorative event held in Azerbaijan’s Aghstafa to honor martyr Adil Tatarov
- 29.06.2018Naval mine discovered in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 29.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Rules of admission to military lyceums in Azerbaijan changed
- 28.06.2018No incident during OSCE monitoring on Azerbaijan-Armenia border
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijani army under special regime due to high weather temperature
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan army to hold large-scale exercises
- 28.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.06.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 27.06.2018MoD: Azerbaijani army’s counteroffensive in Nakhchivan direction left Armenians ‘knocked out’
- 27.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 27.06.2018Polad Bulbuloglu: "Azerbaijan has every opportunity to resolve the Karabakh conflict by armed means"
- 26.06.2018Georgian defense minister: Georgia and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 26.06.2018Azerbaijani SBS responds to Iranian border guard commander’s statement
- 26.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Day will come when Azerbaijani flag raised on liberated lands is showcased in military parade on Azadlig Square
- 26.06.2018"Solo Turk" & "Turkish Stars" aviation groups conduct demonstration flights over Baku - PHOTOSESSION
- 26.06.2018Azerbaijan marks centenary of Armed Forces - PHOTOSESSION
- 26.06.2018Supreme Commander-in-Chief Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan destroyed myth of Armenian army
- 25.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev promotes 7 military officers to generals
- 25.06.2018Delegations from several countries to attend military parade in Baku
- 26.06.2018Azerbaijani president: Only the first stage war is over
- 26.06.2018President Aliyev: Nakhchivan operation held with high professionalism
- 26.06.2018Solemn military parade held in Baku to mark centenary of Azerbaijani Armed Forces - UPDATED-1
- 26.06.2018Azerbaijan marks 100th anniversary of Armed Forces
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijan to show off military power at June 26 parade
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijani president awards defense minister, two more senior military officers