Army officers speak about April victory of Azerbaijani army
Had the April battles not ceased, Armenia could not have withstood, Lieutenant-Colonel of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces Eldaniz Sadigov, who took part in the April battles, told reporters on Friday.
On the night of April 2, 2016, all the frontier positions of Azerbaijan were subjected to heavy fire from the Armenian side, which used large-caliber weapons, mortars and grenade launchers. Azerbaijan responded with a counter-attack, which led to liberation of several strategic heights and settlements.
Military operations were stopped on the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian armies on Apr. 5 at 12:00 (UTC/GMT + 4 hours) with the consent of the sides, Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry earlier said.
“We have been waiting for several times for what happened in April last year. The enemy was thinking that we couldn’t overcome that barrier,” said Sadigov.
He noted that on the night of April 1 to 2 last year, Armenia launched an offensive in the direction of the Tap Garagoyunlu village of Azerbaijan’s Goranboy districts using tanks and infantry.
“We obtained this information and suppressed the actions of the Armenian sabotage and reconnaissance group,” Lieutenant-Colonel of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces Eldaniz Sadigov, who took part in the April battles, told reporters on Friday,” said the army officer.
Sadigov, who was injured after hitting a landmine during the April clashes, said that the Armenian fled leaving their positions and weapons.
“According to information available to us, 15 Armenian soldiers were shot dead for fleeing their positions,” said the army officer.
He noted that the enemy is still living in fear.
“The morale of Azerbaijani military servicemen was very high during the clashes. Had the April battles not ceased, the Armenians could not have withstood,” said Sadigov, expressing gratitude to Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces Ilham Aliyev and Defense Minister, Colonel-General Zakir Hasanov for contact care and attention to the Azerbaijani army.
Lieutenant-Colonel of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces Khagani Jafarov, who also took part in the April battles, said that in early April last year the Armenian army carried out intensive shelling of civilians in Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district.
“We fought in our own lands. I was wounded near the village of Sarijali. At that time, we were on duty in our posts. On the night of April 1-2, the Armenian army launched an offensive,” said Jafarov.
The army officer said the Azerbaijani army used the most modern weapons during the April clashes.
“However, we did not use all the weapons that were at our disposal, we did not use long-range missiles,” he added.
Lieutenant of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces Sabuhi Mehdizade, who took part in the battles in the direction of Leletepe and was injured on his head by a sniper shot, said that the Azerbaijani people demonstrated unity during April battles and the whole world saw it.
“Leletepe is a very strategic height. The enemy controlled Horadiz village from this height. After liberation of Leletepe, the enemy is now under our feet. Due to the care of our people and government, we recovered and were back to serve. Today we continue to serve and waiting for the instruction of our Supreme Commander-in-Chief,” he added.
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement regarding current situation in Armenia
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Appropriate measures to be taken against Armenian provocations
- 23.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Some countries imposed unfounded restrictions on arms sale to Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Smuggling of nuclear components from Armenia continues
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov meets with top NATO general
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct tactical exercises - VİDEO
- 19.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers return from Afghanistan
- 18.04.2018Shrapnel could not be extracted from body of Azerbaijani civilian wounded in Armenian shelling, says surgeon - UPDATED
- 18.04.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 17.04.2018Baku hosts course as part of NATO Operational Capabilities Concept Program
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani army downs Armenian drone
- 17.04.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 17.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.04.2018Military units of the armed forces of Armenia violated ceasefire 87 times
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD dismisses reports on alleged shelling of Armenian civilian truck
- 12.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 11.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.04.2018US National Defense University delegation arrives in Baku
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement
- 09.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Any possible provocations by enemy on eve of elections to be prevented
- 07.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 102 times
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards detain 1,344 wanted people since early 2018
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijani president: "Strengthening the military potential of our country is one of the main priorities"
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran mull military cooperation
- 04.04.201825 shells found in Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018U.S. ground troop experts launch seminar in Baku
- 03.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend Moscow Int’l Security Conference
- 03.04.2018ANAMA disarms 1,541 UXOs, 1 anti-tank mine in March
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct live-fire stage of drills - VIDEO
- 02.04.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund revealed
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia sign memorandum of understanding in field of defense
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish Georgian defense ministers hold trilateral meeting - UPDATED
- 31.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijan Defense Minister leaves for Turkish city of Giresun
- 01.04.2017Armenia violated ceasefire nearly 4,000 times in March
- 01.04.2017Armenian armed units shell Azerbaijani positions with mortars
- 03.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 31.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.03.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 143 times in 24 hours
- 29.03.2017Baku hosts meeting within Azerbaijan-German military co-op plan