Azerbaijani army destroys Armenia’s armored vehicles
The Azerbaijani armed forces timely detected and destroyed Armenia’s armored vehicles, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry APA on March 1.
Earlier, the Armenian media reported that the Azerbaijani army used SPIKE anti-tank guided missile against the Armenian armed forces in the direction of Azerbaijan’s Khojavend district.
The Azerbaijani armed forces has the right to use any modern weapons at their disposal and are fully capable of intercepting the enemy’s activities, noted the ministry.
On February 28, the Armenian armed forces tried to move forth their armored vehicles in order to strengthen their positions. The enemy’s armored vehicles were detected in a timely manner and eliminated by the Azerbaijani army.
Many of the casualties suffered by the enemy recently are foreign mercenaries of Armenian origin. As a result, Armenia purposefully conceals its casualties, said the ministry.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijani, Georgia and Turkey mull prospects for military co-op - UPDATED
- 23.05.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijani, Georgian, Turkish defense ministers to meet in Batumi
- 22.05.2017Georgian PM meets Azerbaijani defense minister
- 22.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani servicemen undergo exercises as part of NATO programme
- 20.05.2017Armenia throws nearly 50 shell at Azerbaijani positions
- 19.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia’s combat and non-combat losses are more than official figures suggest
- 18.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using machine guns, mortars
- 17.05.2017MoD: Armenia confirmed to have shelled Azerbaijani settlements
- 17.05.2017Armenian army opened fire at Azerbaijani settlements: MoD
- 17.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 16.05.2017Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff to attend NATO meeting
- 16.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 13.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 140 times
- 12.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.05.2017MoD: Vehicle allegedly belonging to Armenian TV company opens fire at Azerbaijani army positions, gets retaliated against
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani defense industry enterprises, Turkey’s ASELSAN sign 4 memos
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan test-fires Shimshak combat module
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan soon to start exporting Yalguzag sniper rifles
- 11.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times in 24 hours
- 10.05.2017Minister: Azerbaijan to begin producing UAVs with both reconnaissance and assault capabilities - INTERVIEW
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijan rejects 'Mossad role' in exposing group involved in conspiracy with Armenians
- 10.05.2017New aircraft presented for Azerbaijani Air Force
- 10.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijani Defense Minister attending IDEF-2017
- 09.05.2017Russia holds Victory Day military parade
- 09.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 111 times
- 08.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.05.2017Armenia's provocation plan timely elicited in Tartar direction - Azerbaijani MoD
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey finish joint military drills
- 05.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian high-ranking military officials observe Azerbaijani-Turkish joint exercises
- 04.05.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 04.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 122 times
- 03.05.2017New military equipment delivered to Azerbaijan was adopted to the armament
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey armies carry out combat maneuvers
- 03.05.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 01.03.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 01.03.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund exceed AZN 80M
- 01.03.2017Armenian disinformation aimed at blackmailing int’l organizations, Azerbaijan says
- 01.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 01.03.2017Frontline tension escalates in February, Armenia violates ceasefire over 1,200 times
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier laid to rest