Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss military cooperation
Prior to the meeting, the Turkish delegation visited the Alley of Honor and the Alley of Martyrs in Baku to lay wreath and flowers at the graves of national leader Heydar Aliyev, academician Zarifa Aliyeva and the heroics sons of Azerbaijan who sacrificed their lives for the country’s independence and territorial integrity. They also visited the Turkish Martyrs' Memorial (the monument erected in honor of Turkish soldiers killed in 1918).
Then an official welcoming ceremony for the Turkish delegation was held in the Ministry of Defense. The Turkish minister viewed the guard of honor and national anthems of both countries were played. A book of honor was signed in accordance with the protocol.
First, the defense ministers of Azerbaijan and Turkey held a one-on-one meeting, which was then continued in an expanded format.
Minister Hasanov congratulated Nurettin Canikli on his appointment as Turkey’s minister of national defense. Hasanov described Canikli’s first visit to Azerbaijan as Turkey’s minister of national defense as a clear example of bilateral military cooperation between the two countries.
Minister Hasanov said Azerbaijan and Turkey enjoy military cooperation both bilaterally and within the framework of NATO-led peacekeeping operations, adding that a strategic partnership built on friendly and fraternal relations is constantly developing.
Touching upon the military-political situation in the region, Hasanov underlined that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict poses a serious threat to regional stability.
Emphasizing the importance of the joint military exercises conducted in recent years by Azerbaijan and Turkey, the minister underscored the need to increase the number of such drills in the future.
Speaking about his meeting with Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, the Turkish minister, in turn, noted that ties between the two countries are based on friendship and historical roots.
Minister Canikli said that Turkey is an important partner of Azerbaijan.
The sides further exchanged views on the prospects for military ties, the development of cooperation in the military, military-technical spheres and in the field of military education and medicine, the expansion of activities within the framework of the High-level Military Dialogue, the development of joint plans, the organization of mutual visits of expert groups, as well as other issues of mutual interest.
- 24.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2018SEL exercises kick off in Baku as part of Operational Capabilities Concept - VİDEO
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets NATO generals
- 23.05.2018Armenian soldier found dead at combat position
- 23.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 88 times
- 21.05.2018Baku: Armenian reports on alleged involvement of tactical, military aircraft in drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands ‘exaggerated’
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani serviceman killed in Armenian provocation laid to rest
- 21.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 102 times
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s economic growth, increasing military potential brought Armenia to collapse, says defense minister
- 18.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets heads of Turkish, Georgian military educational institutions
- 17.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Combines Arms Army stages live-fire drills in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev views Combined Army Unit’s training and educational center, inaugurates newly built military hospital
- 16.05.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 16.05.2018Baku hosts meeting of chiefs of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian high military educational institutions
- 16.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 92 times
- 15.05.2018Baku hosts NATO Standing Group of Partner Logistics Experts meeting
- 15.05.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister inaugurates several military facilities
- 14.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.05.2018Defense Minister: "Azerbaijan Army is fully prepared for large-scale combat operations"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani army capable of performing most challenging tasks: presidential aide
- 11.05.2018Hand grenade and cartridges of various calibers found in Baku
- 11.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan Defense Minister visits "Efes-2018" Exercises Management Center
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan defense minister watches "Efes-2018" int’l exercises
- 10.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan’s high-ranking military officers pay tribute to national hero Albert Agarunov
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit Turkey
- 08.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 07.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 04.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.05.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 03.05.2018Armenian army shells civilian truck in Azerbaijan’s Aghdam
- 29.09.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish air forces complete joint drills
- 02.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 123 times
- 28.09.2017Turkey, Azerbaijan in need of each other – defense minister
- 28.09.2017Turkish defense minister pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 28.09.2017Minister Canikli: Azerbaijan, Turkish armed forces should always support each other