Azerbaijan prevents another Armenian sabotage attempt, enemy forced to retreat
Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Defense is focusing on measures to be taken by the Azerbaijani army to prevent sabotage attempts of the Armenian armed forces in all directions of the frontline, the Defense Ministry told APA on Friday.
Azerbaijan’s military leadership is on a visit to the frontline to inspect the combat readiness of military units due to the increasing number of provocative actions by the Armenian army.
The Defense Ministry’s leadership, while inspecting the military units on the frontline at night, by means of observing devices found that a reconnaissance and sabotage group of Armenia was trying to commit diversions in the direction of Talish and Gulustan. The enemy forces were forced to retreat as a result of the relevant instructions and immediate retaliatory actions taken by the Azerbaijani army.
The military officials visited military units keeping Talish village and surrounding areas under control, and units located in Leletepe height and Jojug Marjanli village and watched the enemy positions.
The defense minister met with the personnel serving in the liberated territories, checked the combat readiness and psychological state of personnel, got familiarized with the social conditions of the servicemen.
After presenting prizes to a group of servicemen for distinguished service, the minister had a talk with soldiers.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
- 22.09.2017Combat helicopters involved in Azerbaijan-Turkey joint drills
- 22.09.2017Russian warships leave Baku port
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister attends opening of field command post park
- 22.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2017Remarks by Supreme Commander-in-Chief at UN are order for Azerbaijani army – defense minister
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of large-scale drills
- 21.09.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan, Pakistan discuss military-technical cooperation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani emergency situations minister meets Pakistani Air Force commander
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister inspects formations, units intended for mobilization
- 20.09.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister inaugurates new military unit on frontline
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits military units at border with Armenia
- 19.09.2017NATO training team begins seminar in Baku
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey continue "TurAz Qartalı 2017" joint exercise
- 19.09.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister inaugurates new residential complex of Air Force
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister attends "TurAz Qartalı 2017" exercises opening ceremony
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan launches large-scale military exercises
- 18.09.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 18.09.2017"TurAz Qartalı 2017" exercises begin in Azerbaijan
- 16.09.2017F-16 Fighter aircrafts of Turkish Air Force participating in "TurAz Qartalı-2017" exercises arrive in Azerbaijan
- 16.09.2017Azerbaijan Armed Forces to hold large-scale exercises
- 15.09.2017Another group of Turkish military aviation in Azerbaijan for joint drills
- 15.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 122 times
- 14.09.2017Representatives of Turkish Air Force arrive in Azerbaijan to attend joint drills
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish Air Forces to hold joint drills
- 14.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Command and Control Center of Israeli Armed Forces
- 13.09.2017Armenia launches military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 13.09.2017Armenia 130 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.09.2017Russia, Turkey sign deal on S-400 systems delivery
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani State Commission: 3,868 people listed as missing due to Armenian military aggression
- 12.09.2017Defense Minister Hasanov meets brother of Azerbaijani national hero Albert Agarunov
- 12.09.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service calls on residents of frontline settlements to carefully use Internet, mobile technologies
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial
- 12.09.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 134 times
- 11.09.2017Ministers of Defense of Azerbaijan and Israel held a meeting
- 11.09.2017NATO’s Agile Spirit 2017 drills end in Georgia
- 25.02.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times using mortars, sniper rifles and large-caliber machine guns
- 25.02.2017Defense Ministry: Azerbaijani army suffered losses as Armenians attempted to break into our positions
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Army destroys enemy’s firing position
- 24.02.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 70 times
- 23.02.2017Tank shell found in Barda district
- 23.02.2017Azerbaijan inaugurates new training center on frontline