Armenian reports aimed at disrupting ongoing humanitarian operation, Azerbaijan says
The Armenian side earlier reported that it stands ready to return the dead bodies of the Azerbaijani servicemen.
“The dead bodies of the Azerbaijani servicemen are not in the hands of the Armenians. Their bodies remained on the territory controlled by the Azerbaijani Armed Forces,” the defense ministry said.
The presence there of international mediators is a step taken to prevent further bloodshed, according to the ministry.
“Such reports of the Armenian side as well as dissemination of this kind of information by some local websites are a step aimed at disrupting the ongoing humanitarian operation,” the ministry stressed.
The defense minister added that relevant measures are being taken together with the OSCE and the International Committee of the Red Cross to recover from the battlefield the bodies of Azerbaijani servicemen Agshin Abdullayev, Shakhlar Nazarov, Tural Hashimli, Zulfi Gadimov and Zakir Jafarov who were killed while preventing provocations of the Armenian army along the contact line of troops on Feb. 24-25.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit China
- 25.04.2018OSCE monitors border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 24.04.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement regarding current situation in Armenia
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Appropriate measures to be taken against Armenian provocations
- 23.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Some countries imposed unfounded restrictions on arms sale to Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Smuggling of nuclear components from Armenia continues
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov meets with top NATO general
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct tactical exercises - VİDEO
- 19.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers return from Afghanistan
- 18.04.2018Shrapnel could not be extracted from body of Azerbaijani civilian wounded in Armenian shelling, says surgeon - UPDATED
- 18.04.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 17.04.2018Baku hosts course as part of NATO Operational Capabilities Concept Program
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani army downs Armenian drone
- 17.04.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 17.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.04.2018Military units of the armed forces of Armenia violated ceasefire 87 times
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD dismisses reports on alleged shelling of Armenian civilian truck
- 12.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 11.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.04.2018US National Defense University delegation arrives in Baku
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement
- 09.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Any possible provocations by enemy on eve of elections to be prevented
- 07.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 102 times
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards detain 1,344 wanted people since early 2018
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijani president: "Strengthening the military potential of our country is one of the main priorities"
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran mull military cooperation
- 04.04.201825 shells found in Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018U.S. ground troop experts launch seminar in Baku
- 03.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend Moscow Int’l Security Conference
- 03.04.2018ANAMA disarms 1,541 UXOs, 1 anti-tank mine in March
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct live-fire stage of drills - VIDEO
- 02.04.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund revealed
- 27.02.2017Bodies of Azerbaijani servicemen evacuated from battlefield – MoD
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry: Reports of Azerbaijani soldier's death ‘fake’
- 28.02.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan orders Iron Dome anti-missile system from Israel: SIPRI
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of breaching rules for recovering soldier bodies
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan: Another Armenian provocation prevented