DM: Armenian armed forces shelled Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan's Fuzuli district, a woman and a 2-year-old girl were killed - UPDATED
The Ministry of Defense of Azerbaijan issued a statement in connection with the provocation of the Armenian Armed Forces on the contact line of the troops, APA reports quoting the Defense Ministry's website.
According to the report, on July 4, around 20.40, Armenian Armed Forces shelled Alkhanly village of Fizuli region from mortars of 82mm and 120mm caliber, and also from heavy grenade launchers.
As a result of this provocation, the residents of the village of Guliyeva Sahibe Idris gizi, born in 1967, and Guliyeva Zakhra Elnur gizi, born in 2015 died. Guliyeva Sarvinaz Iltifat gizi, born in 1965, received a fragmentation wound, was hospitalized and operated.
International organizations were informed of the provocation.
As a result of adequate response of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces, enemy fire was suppressed.
The Defense Ministry states that the responsibility for the bloody provocation lies entirely with the military-political leadership of Armenia.
The Armenian armed forces shelled the village of Alkhanly of the Fizuli region of Azerbaijan.
According to the APA's Karabakh bureau, since the evening hours the village has been subjected to intensive shelling from artillery installations and other weapons.
According to the report among the civilians there are dead and injured. The houses suffered serious damage.
The Ministry of Defense confirmed the information about the shelling of the village of Alkhanly.
The ministry said that as a result of the shelling, two villagers were killed and some wounded.
The units of the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan, deployed in the specified direction, are taking counter-measures.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the OSCE Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Poland, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit China
- 25.04.2018OSCE monitors border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 24.04.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement regarding current situation in Armenia
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Appropriate measures to be taken against Armenian provocations
- 23.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Some countries imposed unfounded restrictions on arms sale to Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Smuggling of nuclear components from Armenia continues
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov meets with top NATO general
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct tactical exercises - VİDEO
- 19.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers return from Afghanistan
- 18.04.2018Shrapnel could not be extracted from body of Azerbaijani civilian wounded in Armenian shelling, says surgeon - UPDATED
- 18.04.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 17.04.2018Baku hosts course as part of NATO Operational Capabilities Concept Program
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani army downs Armenian drone
- 17.04.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 17.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.04.2018Military units of the armed forces of Armenia violated ceasefire 87 times
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD dismisses reports on alleged shelling of Armenian civilian truck
- 12.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 11.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.04.2018US National Defense University delegation arrives in Baku
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement
- 09.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Any possible provocations by enemy on eve of elections to be prevented
- 07.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 102 times
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards detain 1,344 wanted people since early 2018
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijani president: "Strengthening the military potential of our country is one of the main priorities"
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran mull military cooperation
- 04.04.201825 shells found in Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018U.S. ground troop experts launch seminar in Baku
- 03.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend Moscow Int’l Security Conference
- 03.04.2018ANAMA disarms 1,541 UXOs, 1 anti-tank mine in March
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct live-fire stage of drills - VIDEO
- 02.04.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund revealed
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia sign memorandum of understanding in field of defense
- 04.07.2017Grandmother and her granddaughter killed as Armenian Armed Forces shelling Alkhanly village of Fuzuli region of Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 130 times
- 05.07.2017A group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 04.07.2017No incident during OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 04.07.2017Air Defense units performing tactical live-fire exercises in Nakhchivan
- 04.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 128 times