DM: Armenian armed forces shelled Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan's Fuzuli district, a woman and a 2-year-old girl were killed - UPDATED
The Ministry of Defense of Azerbaijan issued a statement in connection with the provocation of the Armenian Armed Forces on the contact line of the troops, APA reports quoting the Defense Ministry's website.
According to the report, on July 4, around 20.40, Armenian Armed Forces shelled Alkhanly village of Fizuli region from mortars of 82mm and 120mm caliber, and also from heavy grenade launchers.
As a result of this provocation, the residents of the village of Guliyeva Sahibe Idris gizi, born in 1967, and Guliyeva Zakhra Elnur gizi, born in 2015 died. Guliyeva Sarvinaz Iltifat gizi, born in 1965, received a fragmentation wound, was hospitalized and operated.
International organizations were informed of the provocation.
As a result of adequate response of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces, enemy fire was suppressed.
The Defense Ministry states that the responsibility for the bloody provocation lies entirely with the military-political leadership of Armenia.
The Armenian armed forces shelled the village of Alkhanly of the Fizuli region of Azerbaijan.
According to the APA's Karabakh bureau, since the evening hours the village has been subjected to intensive shelling from artillery installations and other weapons.
According to the report among the civilians there are dead and injured. The houses suffered serious damage.
The Ministry of Defense confirmed the information about the shelling of the village of Alkhanly.
The ministry said that as a result of the shelling, two villagers were killed and some wounded.
The units of the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan, deployed in the specified direction, are taking counter-measures.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the OSCE Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Poland, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
- 21.01.2018Serviceman of the Azerbaijani Army died as a result of disastrous occurrence
- 20.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.01.2018New law on Armed Forces of Azerbaijan enters into force
- 19.01.2018Russia delivers modern military equipment to Azerbaijan - VIDEO
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani serviceman martyred in shootout with Armenian army
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan plans to start manufacturing 136 more types of defense products
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan plans to commission two more military factors
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan launches serial production of F-1 hand grenades
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan doubles exports of defense products
- 19.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.01.2018Armenia attempts blame for its non-combat losses on Azerbaijan – Defense Ministry
- 18.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 17.01.2018Next meeting of Azerbaijani-Pakistani working groups kicks off in Baku
- 17.01.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.01.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 16.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff to attend NATO meeting
- 15.01.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 15.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 10.01.2018Azerbaijani Army to strengthen further, President Aliyev says - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Azerbaijan increases peacekeeping contingent in Afghanistan
- 09.01.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani defense minister holds consultation
- 06.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.01.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry, Military Prosecutor’s Office sign joint action plan
- 05.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.01.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund jump up
- 04.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 30.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani defense minister checks combat capability of armored vehicles on frontline
- 27.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 26.12.2017Defense minister checks state of combat readiness of units in frontline zone
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani defense minister inaugurates newly-built soldiers’ barrack on forward defense line
- 04.07.2017Grandmother and her granddaughter killed as Armenian Armed Forces shelling Alkhanly village of Fuzuli region of Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 130 times
- 05.07.2017A group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 04.07.2017No incident during OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 04.07.2017Air Defense units performing tactical live-fire exercises in Nakhchivan
- 04.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 128 times