Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 126 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on June 1.
Armenians were using large-caliber machine guns, 60- and 82-mm mortars.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Kohnegishlag village of Aghstafa district and in Gaymagli and Gizilhajili villages of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located in Dovekh village and on nameless heights of Noyemberyan district, and in Berkaber, Paravakar villages and on nameless heights of Ijevan district of Armenia.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions in Aghdam, Kokhanabi villages and on nameless heights of Tovuz district were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in Chinari village of Armenia’s Berd district.
The Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights of Gadabay district also underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Krasnoselsk district.
Moreover, the Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh village of Tartar district, Namirli, Shikhlar, Sarijali, Novruzlu, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand district, Gervend, Gorgan, Garakhanbayli and Horadiz villages of Fuzuli district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights in Goranboy, Tartar, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 26.06.2017‘Open Doors Day’ held in Azerbaijani Armed Forces
- 26.06.2017Letters from citizens delivered to soldiers via www.esgeremektub.com
- 26.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 155 times
- 26.06.2017Today is Day of Azerbaijani Armed Forces
- 24.06.2017Russia delivers modern military equipment to Azerbaijan
- 24.06.2017Zakir Hasanov: Azerbaijani soldiers proved to whole world that they are able to liberate native lands
- 24.06.2017Armenians violate ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani Armed Forces capable of fulfilling all tasks – defense minister
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of plant for production of components for revolver-type grenade launchers in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017No incident during OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates plant for production of components for grenade launcher in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan denies Armenian reports on infiltration attempt and military losses
- 23.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 22.06.2017The opening of the two new military camps were held in the frontline zone
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of large-scale drills
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia once again used combat drones
- 22.06.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 22.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian UAV
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan releases footage of captured Armenian sabotage group member
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan captures Armenian sabotage group member
- 20.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on two military servicemen
- 20.06.2017Four colonels of Azerbaijani army promoted to rank of major general
- 20.06.2017Armenian provocation intercepted at Azerbaijan-Iran border
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani army continues large-scale exercises
- 20.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani army starts large-scale drills
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement on latest situation on frontline
- 17.06.2017Defense ministry: Five Armenian servicemen were killed on frontline
- 17.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets graduates of Higher Military School
- 16.06.2017Unexploded aerial bomb found in Azerbaijan’s Ganja
- 16.06.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier laid to rest
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani army to conduct large-scale exercises
- 16.06.2017Defense minister: Enemy should know that Nakhchivan is defended by most professional army
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey stage joint military drills in Nakhchivan
- 16.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 129 times
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani soldier killed during Armenian provocation
- 15.06.2017Combat engineer units of Azerbaijani army hold tactical exercises
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani army destroys two Armenian military facilities
- 01.06.2017NATO rep praises Azerbaijani servicemen’s professionalism in peacekeeping operations
- 02.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.06.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan 3,756 times in May
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani President issues order on conscription
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani military captures video-surveillance device of Armenian army