Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Armenia’s armed forces have 42 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops over the last 24 hours, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on Feb. 22.
The Armenian military was using 82mm mortars, sniper rifles and large-caliber machine guns to shell the Azerbaijani army positions.
Armenian armed units stationed on nameless heights of Armenia’s Noyemberyan and Ijevan districts opened fire at the positions of Azerbaijani armed forces located in Gushchu Ayrim, Kamarli villages and on nameless heights of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions located in Aghbulag village of Azerbaijan’s Tovuz district came under fire from the Armenian positions located in Chinari village of Armenia’s Berd district.
Azerbaijani army positions located on nameless heights of Gadabay district were also shelled from the Armenian positions located on nameless heights of Krasnoselsk district.
Furthermore, the Azerbaijani army positions came under fire from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh and Chilaburt villages of Terter district, Garagashli, Yusifjanli villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand district, Gorgan, Horadiz, Garakhanbeyli and Ashagi Veyselli villages of Fuzuli district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of Goranboy, Terter, Khojavand and Fuzuli districts.
Given the operational situation, the Azerbaijani army took adequate retaliatory actions.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit China
- 25.04.2018OSCE monitors border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 24.04.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement regarding current situation in Armenia
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Appropriate measures to be taken against Armenian provocations
- 23.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Some countries imposed unfounded restrictions on arms sale to Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Smuggling of nuclear components from Armenia continues
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov meets with top NATO general
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct tactical exercises - VİDEO
- 19.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers return from Afghanistan
- 18.04.2018Shrapnel could not be extracted from body of Azerbaijani civilian wounded in Armenian shelling, says surgeon - UPDATED
- 18.04.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 17.04.2018Baku hosts course as part of NATO Operational Capabilities Concept Program
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani army downs Armenian drone
- 17.04.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 17.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.04.2018Military units of the armed forces of Armenia violated ceasefire 87 times
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD dismisses reports on alleged shelling of Armenian civilian truck
- 12.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 11.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.04.2018US National Defense University delegation arrives in Baku
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement
- 09.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Any possible provocations by enemy on eve of elections to be prevented
- 07.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 102 times
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards detain 1,344 wanted people since early 2018
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijani president: "Strengthening the military potential of our country is one of the main priorities"
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran mull military cooperation
- 04.04.201825 shells found in Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018U.S. ground troop experts launch seminar in Baku
- 03.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend Moscow Int’l Security Conference
- 03.04.2018ANAMA disarms 1,541 UXOs, 1 anti-tank mine in March
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct live-fire stage of drills - VIDEO
- 02.04.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund revealed
- 22.02.2017Soldier of Azerbaijani army killed
- 23.02.2017Armenia continues to shell Azerbaijani positions
- 23.02.2017Azerbaijan’s military leadership views situation on frontline
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijani army prevents another Armenian sabotage
- 21.02.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 31 times
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijan, Serbia mull prospects of military co-op