Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 97 times
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 97 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on July 11.
Armenia’s armed units stationed in Berkaber, Aygeovit villages and on nameless heights in Ijevan district shelled the Azerbaijani army’s positions located in Gizilhajili, Jafarli, Bala Jafarli villages in Gazakh district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army’s positions located in Aghdam, Munjuglu villages in Tovuz district underwent fire from the Armenian army’s positions located in Mosesgekh, Chinari villages in Berd district.
Armenian troops stationed on nameless heights in Krasnoselsk district also fired at the positions of the Azerbaijani army located in Zamanly village and on nameless heights in Gadabay district.
Furthermore, positions of the Azerbaijani army were shelled from the positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt villages of Terter district, Nemirli, Taghibeyli, Shikhlar, Kangarli, Yusifjanly, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Ashaghy Veysalli, Gobu Dilagharda, Garvand, Gorgan, Kurdlar, Horadiz villages of Fuzuli district, Nuzgar and Mehdili villages of Jabrayil district, as well as from positions located on nameless heights in Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam and Khojavend districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh district of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 16.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 06.07.2018Road accident in Nakhchivan kills 3 servicemen, 11 injured
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister chairs meeting on results of large-scale exercises
- 06.07.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 04.07.2018Live-fire stage of military exercises underway
- 04.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister holds meeting in field conditions
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Regrouping of combat aircraft carried out
- 03.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 84 times
- 02.07.2018Troops involved in military drills moving to operational areas: Azerbaijani MoD - VİDEO
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan army starts large-scale exercises - VIDEO
- 02.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Defense Minister: Enemy will feel Azerbaijani army’s strength if Karabakh conflict is not resolved fairly
- 29.06.2018Commemorative event held in Azerbaijan’s Aghstafa to honor martyr Adil Tatarov
- 29.06.2018Naval mine discovered in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 29.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Rules of admission to military lyceums in Azerbaijan changed
- 28.06.2018No incident during OSCE monitoring on Azerbaijan-Armenia border
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijani army under special regime due to high weather temperature
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan army to hold large-scale exercises
- 28.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.06.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 27.06.2018MoD: Azerbaijani army’s counteroffensive in Nakhchivan direction left Armenians ‘knocked out’
- 27.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 27.06.2018Polad Bulbuloglu: "Azerbaijan has every opportunity to resolve the Karabakh conflict by armed means"
- 26.06.2018Georgian defense minister: Georgia and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 26.06.2018Azerbaijani SBS responds to Iranian border guard commander’s statement
- 26.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Day will come when Azerbaijani flag raised on liberated lands is showcased in military parade on Azadlig Square
- 26.06.2018"Solo Turk" & "Turkish Stars" aviation groups conduct demonstration flights over Baku - PHOTOSESSION
- 26.06.2018Azerbaijan marks centenary of Armed Forces - PHOTOSESSION
- 26.06.2018Supreme Commander-in-Chief Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan destroyed myth of Armenian army
- 26.06.2018Solemn military parade held in Baku to mark centenary of Azerbaijani Armed Forces - UPDATED-1
- 26.06.2018President Aliyev: Nakhchivan operation held with high professionalism
- 26.06.2018Azerbaijani president: Only the first stage war is over
- 26.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: ADR’s losing independence shows protection of sovereignty is ‘much more difficult than gaining it’
- 26.06.2018Azerbaijan marks 100th anniversary of Armed Forces
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijan to show off military power at June 26 parade
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijani president awards defense minister, two more senior military officers
- 25.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev promotes 7 military officers to generals
- 12.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister orders to strengthen security in military units after provocation in Ganja
- 10.07.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers leave for Afghanistan
- 09.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire 83 times