Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Over the past 24 hours, Armenian armed forces have 144 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on March. 2.
Armenian military was using large-caliber machine guns, 60mm and 82mm mortars (80 shells) and grenade launchers to shell the Azerbaijani army positions.
Armenian armed units stationed in Vazashen village of Armenia’s Ijevan district, on nameless heights and in Voskevan, Dovekh villages of Noyemberyan district opened fire at the positions of Azerbaijani armed forces located in Kamarli, Gushchu Ayrim and Bala Jafarli villages of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions located in Aghbulag and Alibeyli villages of Tovuz district came under fire from the Armenian positions located in Mosesgekh and Chinari villages of Berd district.
The Azerbaijani army positions located on nameless heights of Gadabay district were also shelled from the Armenian positions located on nameless heights of Krasnoselsk district.
The Azerbaijani army positions came under fire from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Chilaburt village of Terter district, Sarijali, Marzili, Yusifjanli villages of Aghdam district, Gorgan, Garakhanbeyli, Horadiz, Ashagi Veyselli and Ashagi Seyidahmedli villages of Fuzuli district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of Goygol, Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts of Azerbaijan.
In accordance with the operational situation, the Azerbaijani army took adequate response measures.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 24.03.2017Azerbaijani Defense Minister checks organization of defense on frontline
- 24.03.2017Armenians violate ceasefire with Azerbaijan 109 times
- 22.03.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia breaks ceasefire 143 times in 24 hours
- 18.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts working meeting of int’l contest ‘Sea Cup-2017’
- 17.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 100 times
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani defense minister instructs to strengthen combat readiness of servicemen
- 15.03.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 15.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets with Turkish ambassador
- 14.03.2017Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff departs for Moscow
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijani defense industry minister meets Pakistani envoy
- 14.03.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 14.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 13.03.2017Working meeting with NATO experts on PARP and IPAP held in Baku
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan buys drone killer system from Turkey
- 13.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2017Martyred Azerbaijani serviceman laid to rest
- 11.03.2017Serviceman of Azerbaijani army killed
- 11.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia discuss military cooperation
- 10.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Interior Troops servicemen
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on conscription
- 10.03.2017ANAMA disarms 1,048 UXOs, 34 mines in Feb 2017
- 10.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 09.03.2017Azerbaijan, UK discuss holding next round of military talks
- 09.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 119 times
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijan to produce two other types of drones
- 06.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.03.2017Armenia suffered about 30 losses in last five days - Azerbaijani MoD
- 03.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 265 times
- 03.03.2017ICRC visits Armenian scout imprisoned in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian drone
- 02.03.2017Foreign military attachés accredited to Azerbaijan visit High Military School
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian military vehicle - VIDEO
- 01.03.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenia’s armored vehicles
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenia’s military headquarters - VIDEO
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian sabotage group
- 02.03.2017Military expert: Footage clearly shows Armenian headquarters gets struck with high precision, those inside had no chance to survive
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani MoD comments on biased reports on frontline tension
- 01.03.2017Armenian disinformation aimed at blackmailing int’l organizations, Azerbaijan says
- 01.03.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund exceed AZN 80M