Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces, using heavy machine guns, have 140 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on Aug. 31.
Azerbaijani army positions in Kohnegishlag village of Agstafa district, on nameless heights and in Farahli, Gushchu Ayrim, Gizilhajili villages of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights and in Shavarshavan village of the Noyemberyan district, as well as on nameless heights and in Paravakar village of Ijevan district.
Meanwhile, Azerbaijani army positions in Alibayli, Kokhanabi, Munjuglu and Garalar villages of Tovuz district of Azerbaijan were shelled from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights and in Mosesgekh, Chinari villages of Armenia’s Berd district.
Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights and in Zamanli village of Gadabay district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Krasnoselsk district.
Moreover, Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt villages of Tartar district, Nemirli, Shikhlar, Bash Garvand, Javahirli, Abdinli, Novruzlu, Yusifjanli and Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand district, the Ashagi Veysalli, Gobu Dilagarda, Garvand, Garakhanbayli, Gorgan, Kurdler and Horadiz villages of Fuzuli district, Nuzgar village of Jabrayil district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of Goygol, Goranboy, Tartar, Aghdam and Khojavand districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Artsrun Hovhannisyan continues to surprise people with his stupid comments
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani SBS issues statement on border shootout, wounded soldier awarded medal - UPDATED
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani army liberates strategic heights, controls winery in Nakhchivan - VİDEO
- 21.06.2018OSCE permanent representatives arrive in Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 20.06.2018Turkish servicemen arrive in Azerbaijan to participate in festive events
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani army conducts field exercises - PHOTOSESSION
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani defense minister calls on media to be sensitive while reporting solider deaths
- 20.06.2018Zakir Hasanov: Supreme Commander-in-Chief diplomatically brought down Sargsyan gov’t, without using weaponry
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani state meets all needs of army, says defense minister
- 20.06.2018Defense minister: Azerbaijani army now controls road to Lachin
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani army owns most advanced missile, artillery systems: defense minister
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani army fully ready and able to fulfill any command – defense minister
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MoD releases video about liberation of Gunnut village - VİDEO
- 20.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters continue flights over Baku in preparation for parade
- 19.06.2018Minister of Defense participates in opening of military unit of Rocket and Artillery Troops in frontline zone
- 19.06.2018Next tactical UAV belonging to Armenia destroyed
- 19.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 95 times
- 18.06.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.06.2018Azerbaijan’s defense minister: Our army must always be ready to suppress provocation of enemy
- 16.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijani Army Corps exercises successfully completed
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters continue flights over Baku in preparation for parade
- 15.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 94 times
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani military conducts practical firing from DANA self-propelled artillery systems
- 14.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani army’s rocket, artillery formations conduct live-fire exercises - VİDEO
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan’s IFV crews improve combat skills
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters conduct flights over Baku in preparation for parade - UPDATED
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan, Georgia sign agreement on activities of border commissioners
- 13.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan’s missile units conduct practical firing exercises - VIDEO
- 12.06.2018Polonez systems now at disposal of Azerbaijani Army - VIDEO
- 12.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan exhibits defense products at Eurosatory 2018 in Paris
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Defense Ministry’s military unit - UPDATED
- 11.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan defense minister attends NATO meeting
- 08.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijani, German defense ministries hold staff talks
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijani army ranks 58th in Global Firepower 2017 Military Strength Ranking
- 31.08.2017Armenia over 4,000 times violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan in August
- 30.08.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 30.08.2017Official Exchange Rates
- 30.08.2017Armenia 155 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan