Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 134 times
Armenia’s armed forces have 134 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops over the past 24 hours using large-caliber machine guns, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on Nov.24.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Gushchu Ayrim village of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless hills in Noyemberyan district.
Meanwhile, Armenian armed units stationed in Aygepar, Mosesgekh, Chinari villages of Berd district shelled the Azerbaijani army positions located in Alibeyli, Aghdam, Kokhanebi villages of Tovuz district.
The Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights in Gadabay district were also fired from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights in Armenia’s Krasnoselsk district.
The Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt villages of Terter district, Shikhlar, Bash Garvand, Javahirli, Garagashly, Yusifjanly, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavend district, Ashaghy Veysalli, Gobu Dilagharda, Garvand, Garakhanbayli, Gorgan, Kurdlar, Horadiz villages of Fuzuli district, Nuzgar and Mehdili villages of Jabrayil district, as well as from positions located on nameless hills in Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam and Khojavend districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh district of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar">Kalbajar, Aghdam">Aghdam, Fuzuli">Fuzuli, Jabrayil">Jabrayil, Gubadli">Gubadli and Zangilan">Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE">OSCEMinsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE">OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE">PACE, OSCE">OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister leaves for Minsk
- 22.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani army intercepts Armenian quadcopter
- 21.02.2018Iran ready to help Azerbaijan increase its military power – defense minister
- 21.02.2018OSCE monitors border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 21.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk meets with head of Gazakh district executive authority
- 21.02.2018Iran's defense minister arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 135 times
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit Belarus
- 20.02.2018OSCE expected to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 20.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.02.2018Iran's defense minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ex-military official does not rule out ‘Armenian involvement’ in assassination attempt on Israeli defense minister
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan, UK ink military cooperation plan
- 16.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 123
- 15.02.2018Five artillery shells detected in Sumgayit
- 15.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 129 times
- 13.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018NATO training course underway in Baku
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani army prevents another border provocation by Armenia - VIDEO
- 12.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.02.2018Tasks set by Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief brought to attention of army’s command staff
- 10.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 09.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia to develop cooperation in defense industry
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s military policy has proved successful
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan accepts into armament new military equipment delivered by Russia
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijani army prevents Armenian provocation, one enemy soldier killed
- 08.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Azerbaijan's rocket and artillery formations conduct live-fire exercises - VIDEO
- 07.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 121 times
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia mull prospects for development of military co-op
- 06.02.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 06.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to visit Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Ramaldanov: Armenia has just been given ‘Kornet-E’ missile complexes, while Azerbaijan has had them for 10 years
- 05.02.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 24.11.2017Revised draft law on Azerbaijani Armed Forces to be tabled in parliament
- 24.11.2017NATO Days held in Azerbaijan Armed Forces
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan creating new military formations
- 23.11.2017Body of Azerbaijani soldier found near Armenian army positions
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Pakistan discuss cooperation in security and military spheres
- 23.11.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 122 times