Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 126 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on June 2.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Kohnegishlag village of Aghstafa district, in Farahli, Jafarli villages and on nameless heights of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located in Voskevan village of Noyemberyan district and in Paravakar village of Armenia’s Ijevan district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions in Aghdam, Kokhanabi and Munjuglu villages of Tovuz district were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in Chinari, Aygedzor villages and on nameless heights of Armenia’s Berd district.
The Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights of Gadabay district also underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Krasnoselsk district.
Moreover, the Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Javahirli, Yusifjanli, Marzili, Taghibayli villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand district, Gervend, Gorgan, Garakhanbayli, Kurdlar, Ashagi Veysalli villages of Fuzuli district, Mehdili village of Jabrayil district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights in Goygol, Goranboy, Tartar, Khojavand and Jabrayil districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Notion of Armed Forces specified in accord with Constitution
- 13.12.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 13.12.2017Armenia 136 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan in 24 hours
- 12.12.2017Baku hosts meeting of Azerbaijan-Russia intergovernmental commission for military-technical co-op
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijani Armed Forces to be given new duties
- 12.12.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 12.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.12.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan, Italy discuss military-technical cooperation
- 07.12.2017Protocol signed at 10th meeting of Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Military Dialogue
- 07.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 155 times
- 06.12.2017NATO Mobile Training Team holds training course in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss expanding military co-op
- 06.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Artillery shell found in center of Beylagan city
- 05.12.2017Baku hosts 10th meeting of Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Military Dialogue
- 05.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 138 times
- 05.12.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan becomes full member of International Committee of Military Medicine
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan plans to increase number of peacekeepers in Afghanistan next year
- 04.12.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Military Dialogue meeting
- 04.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on conscription
- 01.12.2017Tanks units of Azerbaijani army conduct live-fire training
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament adopts revised bill on Armed Forces
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish air forces discuss expansion of cooperation
- 01.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund rise
- 30.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times
- 29.11.2017Turkish Air Force commander arrives in Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister checks combat readiness of rocket and artillery units on frontline
- 29.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views military unit in Tartar district
- 28.11.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 28.11.2017Cadets of Azerbaijan High Military School start field exit
- 28.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 122 times
- 02.06.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry leadership visits front line
- 05.06.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijani special forces take part in 'Caucasian Eagle' exercises
- 01.06.2017NATO rep praises Azerbaijani servicemen’s professionalism in peacekeeping operations
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani army destroys two Armenian military facilities
- 01.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars