Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Over the past 24 hours, Armenian armed forces have 123 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops using sniper rifles and grenade launchers, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on March 13.
Armenian armed units stationed on nameless heights of Armenia’s Ijevan district, Barekamavan, Berdavan, Shavarshavan villages of Noyemberyan district opened fire at the positions of Azerbaijani armed forces located in Gaymagli, Kamarli, Gushchu Ayrim villages and on nameless heights of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions located in Aghbulag, Kokhanebi villages of Tovuz district came under fire from the Armenian positions located in Chinari village and on nameless heights of Berd district.
Azerbaijani army positions located on nameless heights of Gadabay district underwent fire from the Armenian positions located on nameless heights of Krasnoselsk district.
The Azerbaijani army positions were also shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt villages of Terter district, Marzili, Garagashli, Sarijali, Shikhlar, Yusifjanli, Bash Gervend, Shuraabad villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand, Gorgan, Garakhanbeyli, Horadiz, Ashagi Veyselli villages of Fuzuli district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of Goygol, Goranboy, Terter, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Azerbaijan's Chief of General Staff of Armed Forces departs for USA
- 21.10.2017Azerbaijan defense minister orders troops to immediately suppress enemy provocations
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani defense minister checks combat readiness of new anti-aircraft missiles
- 20.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.10.2017British military attaché: We appreciate Azerbaijan’s efforts to cooperate with NATO
- 19.10.2017Major General rank conferred to Khanbala Orujov
- 19.10.201725 documents signed at Baku session of CIS Border Troops Commanders Council
- 19.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 137 times
- 18.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 122 times
- 17.10.2017Foreign military attachés visit Azerbaijani Air Force Base
- 17.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian Armed Forces sign joint protocol
- 17.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Turkish and Georgian Armed Forces hold meeting in Tbilisi - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s successful military ops in April 2016 highlighted at Tbilisi meeting
- 17.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss military cooperation
- 17.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian Armed Forces to hold meeting
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan-Georgia military cooperation discussed in Tbilisi
- 16.10.2017Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov meets Chief of Georgian General Staff
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani defense minister embarks on visit to Tbilisi
- 16.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Turkish Armed Forces to meet in Tbilisi
- 16.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Field firings carried out from “Buk-MB” anti-aircraft missile systems - VIDEO
- 14.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 13.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017U.S. considers Azerbaijan key partner in fight against terrorism: Pentagon
- 12.10.2017Rocket, artillery formations of Azerbaijani Army stage live-fire drills - VİDEO
- 12.10.2017Zakir Hasanov attends meeting of CIS Defense Ministers Council
- 12.10.2017Tajik president meets with defense ministers of CIS member states
- 12.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.10.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 116 times
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister gets acquainted with Belarusian-made military hardware
- 10.10.2017Zakir Hasanov meets with State Secretary of Belarusian Security Council
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 10.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.10.2017Prospects of Belarus-Azerbaijan military, technical cooperation discussed in Minsk
- 09.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.10.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister familiarizes with military equipment produced by Belarusian defense industry
- 08.10.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister starts official visit to Belarus
- 07.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 90 times
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan buys drone killer system from Turkey
- 13.03.2017Working meeting with NATO experts on PARP and IPAP held in Baku
- 14.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 11.03.2017Martyred Azerbaijani serviceman laid to rest
- 11.03.2017Serviceman of Azerbaijani army killed
- 11.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times