Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Over the past 24 hours, Armenian armed forces have 123 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops using sniper rifles and grenade launchers, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on March 13.
Armenian armed units stationed on nameless heights of Armenia’s Ijevan district, Barekamavan, Berdavan, Shavarshavan villages of Noyemberyan district opened fire at the positions of Azerbaijani armed forces located in Gaymagli, Kamarli, Gushchu Ayrim villages and on nameless heights of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions located in Aghbulag, Kokhanebi villages of Tovuz district came under fire from the Armenian positions located in Chinari village and on nameless heights of Berd district.
Azerbaijani army positions located on nameless heights of Gadabay district underwent fire from the Armenian positions located on nameless heights of Krasnoselsk district.
The Azerbaijani army positions were also shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt villages of Terter district, Marzili, Garagashli, Sarijali, Shikhlar, Yusifjanli, Bash Gervend, Shuraabad villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand, Gorgan, Garakhanbeyli, Horadiz, Ashagi Veyselli villages of Fuzuli district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of Goygol, Goranboy, Terter, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijan ratifies military financial cooperation agreement with Turkey
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijan displays weapons, military equipment to be used in its joint drills with Turkey
- 25.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 24.04.2017World military spending: increases in U.S. and Europe, decreases in oil-exporting countries
- 24.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 113 times
- 22.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey to hold joint military drills
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry holds enlarged board meeting
- 21.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijani army stages live-fire exercises
- 20.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani army’s large-scale drills enter next phase
- 19.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan continues large-scale military drills
- 18.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 119 times
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani army continues large-scale exercises
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets Iran’s parliament speaker
- 17.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.04.2017Armed Forces started large-scale exercises - UPDATED - VIDEO
- 15.04.2017Azerbaijani defense minister embarks on official visit to Iran
- 15.04.2017Ceremony devoted to anniversary of April battles held in Baku
- 15.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 116 times
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijan to produce new armed drone capable of destroying military facilities and equipment
- 14.04.2017Russia Today presents photo gallery dedicated to Azerbaijan’s military power
- 14.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan to hold large-scale military drills
- 13.04.2017Armenia begins military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 13.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss issues of naval cooperation
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets Turkish navy commander
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 12.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 116 times
- 11.04.2017Turkish Navy commander arrives in Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 08.04.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier’s medal presented to family
- 08.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 100 times
- 06.04.2017Armenian armed forces fire at Azerbaijani village
- 06.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey, Georgia to hold joint military drills in June - UPDATED
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan buys drone killer system from Turkey
- 13.03.2017Working meeting with NATO experts on PARP and IPAP held in Baku
- 14.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 11.03.2017Martyred Azerbaijani serviceman laid to rest
- 11.03.2017Serviceman of Azerbaijani army killed
- 11.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times