Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Over the past 24 hours, Armenian armed forces have 121 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry reported on April 4.
The Azerbaijani army positions located in Gushchu Ayrim, Gaymagli villages of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Noyemberyan district of Armenia.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions located in Aghdam and Munjuglu villages of Tovuz district were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in Mosesgekh, Chinari villages of Berd district of Armenia.
Moreover, the Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Yarimja, Chilaburt villages of Tartar district, Garagashli, Marzili, Yusifjanli, Javakhirli villages of Aghdam district.
The Azerbaijani army positions were also shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Gorgan, Ashagi Seyidahmadli, Garakhanbayli villages of Fuzuli district, as well as from the positions on nameless heights of Goygol, Goranboy, Tartar, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct tactical exercises - VİDEO
- 19.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers return from Afghanistan
- 18.04.2018Shrapnel could not be extracted from body of Azerbaijani civilian wounded in Armenian shelling, says surgeon - UPDATED
- 18.04.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 17.04.2018Baku hosts course as part of NATO Operational Capabilities Concept Program
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani army downs Armenian drone
- 17.04.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 17.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.04.2018Military units of the armed forces of Armenia violated ceasefire 87 times
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD dismisses reports on alleged shelling of Armenian civilian truck
- 12.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 11.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.04.2018US National Defense University delegation arrives in Baku
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement
- 09.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Any possible provocations by enemy on eve of elections to be prevented
- 07.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 102 times
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards detain 1,344 wanted people since early 2018
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijani president: "Strengthening the military potential of our country is one of the main priorities"
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran mull military cooperation
- 04.04.201825 shells found in Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018U.S. ground troop experts launch seminar in Baku
- 03.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend Moscow Int’l Security Conference
- 03.04.2018ANAMA disarms 1,541 UXOs, 1 anti-tank mine in March
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct live-fire stage of drills - VIDEO
- 02.04.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund revealed
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia sign memorandum of understanding in field of defense
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish Georgian defense ministers hold trilateral meeting - UPDATED
- 31.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijan Defense Minister leaves for Turkish city of Giresun
- 30.03.2018Rocket and artillery units of Azerbaijani army continue drills - VİDEO
- 30.03.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 29.03.2018Rocket and artillery units of Azerbaijani Army launch live-fire exercises - VİDEO
- 29.03.2018Rumors that Azerbaijan bought outdated weapons from Russia ‘provocative’ – Defense Ministry
- 29.03.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets with Turkish counterpart
- 28.03.2018Azerbaijan and Turkey discussed issues of military-technical cooperation
- 28.03.2018Zakir Hasanov visits Heydar Aliyev Park in Ankara
- 04.04.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani defense minister en route to Saudi Arabia
- 05.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 123 times
- 03.04.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund top AZN 81M
- 03.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 01.04.2017Armenian armed units shell Azerbaijani positions with mortars