Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 119 times
Over the past 24 hours, Armenian armed forces have 119 times violated the ceasefire using large-caliber machine guns along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on March. 7.
Armenian armed units stationed in Vazashen and Berkaber villages of Armenia’s Ijevan district, on nameless heights and in Dovekh, Barekamavan villages of Noyemberyan district opened fire at the positions of Azerbaijani armed forces located in Kamarli, Gaymagli, Bala Jafarli, Gizilhajili villages of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions located in Aghbulag, Kokhanebi villages and on nameless heights of Tovuz district came under fire from the Armenian positions located in Chinari village and on nameless heights of Berd district.
The Azerbaijani army positions were also shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt villages of Terter district, Garagashli, Sarijali, Javahirli, Marzili, Yusifjanli villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand, Gorgan, Garakhanbeyli, Horadiz, Ashagi Veyselli and Ashagi Seyidahmedli villages of Fuzuli district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit Belarus
- 20.02.2018OSCE expected to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 20.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.02.2018Iran's defense minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ex-military official does not rule out ‘Armenian involvement’ in assassination attempt on Israeli defense minister
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan, UK ink military cooperation plan
- 16.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 123
- 15.02.2018Five artillery shells detected in Sumgayit
- 15.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 129 times
- 13.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018NATO training course underway in Baku
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani army prevents another border provocation by Armenia - VIDEO
- 12.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.02.2018Tasks set by Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief brought to attention of army’s command staff
- 10.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 09.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia to develop cooperation in defense industry
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s military policy has proved successful
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan accepts into armament new military equipment delivered by Russia
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijani army prevents Armenian provocation, one enemy soldier killed
- 08.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Azerbaijan's rocket and artillery formations conduct live-fire exercises - VIDEO
- 07.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 121 times
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia mull prospects for development of military co-op
- 06.02.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 06.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to visit Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Ramaldanov: Armenia has just been given ‘Kornet-E’ missile complexes, while Azerbaijan has had them for 10 years
- 05.02.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 05.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 02.02.2018Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov, Ambassador Andrzej Kasprzyk mull situation on contact line of troops
- 02.02.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.02.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund revealed
- 01.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijan revises bill on status of military servicemen
- 31.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 114 times
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijani army gaining strength day by day – deputy minister
- 29.01.2018Mountain exercise for Azerbaijani servicemen underway in Georgia
- 09.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.03.2017Azerbaijan, UK discuss holding next round of military talks
- 10.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijan to produce two other types of drones
- 06.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan