Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Armenian armed forces have 119 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops over the last 24 hours, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA March.7.
Armenian armed units stationed in Paravakar and Berkaber villages and on nameless heights of Armenia’s Ijevan district, Barekamavan, Voskevan villages and on nameless heights of Noyemberyan district opened fire at the positions of Azerbaijani armed forces located in Kohnegishlag village of Agstafa district, Kamarli, Gaymagli, Gizilhajili, Gushchu Ayrim villages of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions located in Aghbulag, Kokhanebi, Munjuglu villages of Tovuz district came under fire from Armenian positions located in Chinari village and on nameless heights of Berd district.
The Azerbaijani army positions located on nameless heights of Gadabay district were also shelled from Armenian positions located on nameless heights of Krasnoselsk district.
The Azerbaijani army positions came under fire from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt villages of Terter district, Garagashli, Javahirli, Marzili, Yusifjanli, Shuraabad, Bash Gervend villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand, Gorgan, Garakhanbeyli, Horadiz, Ashagi Veyselli villages of Fuzuli district, Mehdili village of Jabrayil district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam, Khojavand and Fuzuli districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets NATO generals
- 23.05.2018Armenian soldier found dead at combat position
- 23.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 88 times
- 21.05.2018Baku: Armenian reports on alleged involvement of tactical, military aircraft in drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands ‘exaggerated’
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani serviceman killed in Armenian provocation laid to rest
- 21.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 102 times
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s economic growth, increasing military potential brought Armenia to collapse, says defense minister
- 18.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets heads of Turkish, Georgian military educational institutions
- 17.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Combines Arms Army stages live-fire drills in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev views Combined Army Unit’s training and educational center, inaugurates newly built military hospital
- 16.05.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 16.05.2018Baku hosts meeting of chiefs of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian high military educational institutions
- 16.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 92 times
- 15.05.2018Baku hosts NATO Standing Group of Partner Logistics Experts meeting
- 15.05.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister inaugurates several military facilities
- 14.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.05.2018Defense Minister: "Azerbaijan Army is fully prepared for large-scale combat operations"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani army capable of performing most challenging tasks: presidential aide
- 11.05.2018Hand grenade and cartridges of various calibers found in Baku
- 11.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan Defense Minister visits "Efes-2018" Exercises Management Center
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan defense minister watches "Efes-2018" int’l exercises
- 10.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan’s high-ranking military officers pay tribute to national hero Albert Agarunov
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit Turkey
- 08.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 07.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 04.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.05.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 03.05.2018Armenian army shells civilian truck in Azerbaijan’s Aghdam
- 03.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.05.2018Armenia launches military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.03.2017Azerbaijan, UK discuss holding next round of military talks
- 10.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 10.03.2017ANAMA disarms 1,048 UXOs, 34 mines in Feb 2017
- 07.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 119 times
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijan to produce two other types of drones
- 06.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan