Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 119 times
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 119 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry said on April 18.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Kamarli, Gushchu Ayrim Gilizhajili and Jafarli villages and on nameless heights of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights and in Voskevan and Shavarshavan villages of Noyemberyan district and in Berkaber, Paravakar villages and on nameless heights of Ijevan district of Armenia.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights and in Aghbulag, Kokhanabi and Munjuglu villages of Tovuz district were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in Chinari, Aygedzor villages and on nameless heights of Berd district of Armenia.
The Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights of Gadabay district underwent fire from the Armenian army position located on nameless heights of Krasnoselsk district of Armenia.
The Azerbaijani army also underwent fire from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh village of Tartar district, Garagashli, Marzili, Sarijali, Javahirli, Yusifjanli villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand district, Gorgan, Garakhanbayli, Horadiz, Ashagi Veysalli villages of Fuzuli district, as well as from the positions on nameless heights in Goygol, Goranboy, Tartar, Aghdam, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 15.12.2017Training held with participation of command staff of Azerbaijani Armed Forces
- 15.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Notion of Armed Forces specified in accord with Constitution
- 13.12.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 13.12.2017Armenia 136 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan in 24 hours
- 12.12.2017Baku hosts meeting of Azerbaijan-Russia intergovernmental commission for military-technical co-op
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijani Armed Forces to be given new duties
- 12.12.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 12.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.12.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan, Italy discuss military-technical cooperation
- 07.12.2017Protocol signed at 10th meeting of Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Military Dialogue
- 07.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 155 times
- 06.12.2017NATO Mobile Training Team holds training course in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss expanding military co-op
- 06.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Artillery shell found in center of Beylagan city
- 05.12.2017Baku hosts 10th meeting of Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Military Dialogue
- 05.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 138 times
- 05.12.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan becomes full member of International Committee of Military Medicine
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan plans to increase number of peacekeepers in Afghanistan next year
- 04.12.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Military Dialogue meeting
- 04.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on conscription
- 01.12.2017Tanks units of Azerbaijani army conduct live-fire training
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament adopts revised bill on Armed Forces
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish air forces discuss expansion of cooperation
- 01.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund rise
- 30.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times
- 29.11.2017Turkish Air Force commander arrives in Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister checks combat readiness of rocket and artillery units on frontline
- 29.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views military unit in Tartar district
- 28.11.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan continues large-scale military drills
- 19.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani army’s large-scale drills enter next phase
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani army continues large-scale exercises
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets Iran’s parliament speaker
- 17.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan