Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Armenia’s armed forces have 118 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops using sniper rifles, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on Oct. 12.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Bala Jafarli village and on nameless heights in Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights in Armenia’s Ijevan district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions in Aghdam, Kokhanebi, Munjuglu villages and on nameless heights in Tovuz district were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in Mosesgekh village and on nameless heights in Berd district.
The Azerbaijani army positions located in Zamanli village and on nameless heights in Gadabay district also underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights in Armenia’s Krasnoselsk district.
The Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian army positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt, Yarimja villages of Tartar district, Namirli, Shikhlar, Javahirli, Kangarli, Saryjaly, Novruzlu, Yusifjanli, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Ashaghi Veysalli, Garakhanbeyli, Ashaghi Seyidahmadli, Gorgan, Kurdlar villages of Fuzuli district, Nuzgar and Mehdili villages of Jabrayil district, as well as from positions located on nameless heights in Goygol, Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam and Khojavend districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCEMinsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCEafter the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 17.10.2017Foreign military attachés visit Azerbaijani Air Force Base
- 17.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian Armed Forces sign joint protocol
- 17.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Turkish and Georgian Armed Forces hold meeting in Tbilisi - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s successful military ops in April 2016 highlighted at Tbilisi meeting
- 17.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss military cooperation
- 17.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian Armed Forces to hold meeting
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan-Georgia military cooperation discussed in Tbilisi
- 16.10.2017Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov meets Chief of Georgian General Staff
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani defense minister embarks on visit to Tbilisi
- 16.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Turkish Armed Forces to meet in Tbilisi
- 16.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Field firings carried out from “Buk-MB” anti-aircraft missile systems - VIDEO
- 14.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 13.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017U.S. considers Azerbaijan key partner in fight against terrorism: Pentagon
- 10.10.2017Zakir Hasanov meets with State Secretary of Belarusian Security Council
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 10.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.10.2017Prospects of Belarus-Azerbaijan military, technical cooperation discussed in Minsk
- 09.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.10.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister familiarizes with military equipment produced by Belarusian defense industry
- 08.10.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister starts official visit to Belarus
- 07.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 90 times
- 06.10.2017Zakir Hasanov to visit Belarus
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijani Navy sailors start visit to Iran
- 06.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 104 times
- 05.10.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijan, Pakistan discuss expanding military education co-op
- 04.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 94 times
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani Navy warships depart for Iran on friendly visit
- 03.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan announces amount of military aid rendered to Afghanistan to date
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani navy conducts preparatory training for NATO evaluation
- 02.10.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund growing
- 02.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 123 times
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish air forces complete joint drills
- 29.09.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.09.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss military cooperation
- 28.09.2017Turkey, Azerbaijan in need of each other – defense minister
- 12.10.2017Tajik president meets with defense ministers of CIS member states
- 12.10.2017Zakir Hasanov attends meeting of CIS Defense Ministers Council
- 12.10.2017Rocket, artillery formations of Azerbaijani Army stage live-fire drills - VİDEO
- 11.10.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 116 times
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister gets acquainted with Belarusian-made military hardware