Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Over the past 24 hours, Armenian armed forces have 117 times violated the ceasefire using sniper rifles along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on March 17.
Armenian armed units stationed in Vazashen and Berkaber villages of Armenia’s Ijevan district, on nameless heights and in Voskevan, Barekamavan villages of Noyemberyan district opened fire at the positions of Azerbaijani armed forces located in Bala Jafarli, Gizilhajili, Gushchu Ayrim, Kamarli and Gaymagli villages of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions located in Munjuglu, Kokhanebi, Aghbulag villages and on nameless heights of Tovuz district came under fire from the Armenian positions located in Chinari, Aygedzor villages and on nameless heights of Berd district.
The Azerbaijani armed positions located on nameless heights of Gadabay district came under fire from the Armenian positions located on nameless heights of Krasnoselsk district.
The Azerbaijani army positions were also shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt villages of Terter district, Garagashli, Yusifjanli, Bash Gervend, Shuraabad, Shikhlar, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand, Gorgan, Garakhanbeyli, Horadiz, Ashagi Veyselli villages of Fuzuli district, Mehdili village of Jabrayil district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of Goygol, Goranboy, Terter, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 23.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.01.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.01.2018Serviceman of the Azerbaijani Army died as a result of disastrous occurrence
- 20.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.01.2018New law on Armed Forces of Azerbaijan enters into force
- 19.01.2018Russia delivers modern military equipment to Azerbaijan - VIDEO
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani serviceman martyred in shootout with Armenian army
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan plans to start manufacturing 136 more types of defense products
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan plans to commission two more military factors
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan launches serial production of F-1 hand grenades
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan doubles exports of defense products
- 19.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.01.2018Armenia attempts blame for its non-combat losses on Azerbaijan – Defense Ministry
- 18.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 17.01.2018Next meeting of Azerbaijani-Pakistani working groups kicks off in Baku
- 17.01.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.01.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 16.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff to attend NATO meeting
- 15.01.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 15.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 10.01.2018Azerbaijani Army to strengthen further, President Aliyev says - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Azerbaijan increases peacekeeping contingent in Afghanistan
- 09.01.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani defense minister holds consultation
- 06.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.01.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry, Military Prosecutor’s Office sign joint action plan
- 05.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.01.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund jump up
- 04.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 30.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani defense minister checks combat capability of armored vehicles on frontline
- 27.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts working meeting of int’l contest ‘Sea Cup-2017’
- 18.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 22.03.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia breaks ceasefire 143 times in 24 hours
- 16.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 100 times
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani defense minister instructs to strengthen combat readiness of servicemen
- 15.03.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring