Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Armenian armed forces have 116 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops over the last 24 hours, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said on March.6.
Armenian armed units stationed in Vazashen village of Armenia’s Ijevan district, on nameless heights and in Dovekh, Barekamavan villages of Noyemberyan district opened fire at the positions of Azerbaijani armed forces located in Kamarli, Gaymagli, Gushchu Ayrim villages of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions located in Aghdam and Aghbulag villages of Tovuz district came under fire from the Armenian positions located in Chinari villages of Berd district.
The Azerbaijani army positions were also shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt villages of Terter district, Namirli, Marzili, Yusifjanli villages of Aghdam district, Gorgan, Garakhanbeyli, Horadiz, Ashagi Veyselli villages of Fuzuli district, Mehdili village Jabrayil district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister holds meeting with command staff involved in war games
- 17.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan sign plan for military cooperation
- 16.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani army to hold command-staff war games
- 15.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 14.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 10.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.11.2017Defense minister addresses NATO meeting
- 09.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 08.11.2017Military experts of Azerbaijan and Germany hold meeting
- 08.11.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 08.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.11.2017Military attachés accredited to Azerbaijan visit Naval Forces
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister to attend NATO meeting
- 07.11.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 07.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 133 times
- 06.11.2017Azerbaijan to institute ‘Rashadat’ order for Armed Forces
- 06.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 03.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves agreement on training of Afghan servicemen in Azerbaijan
- 03.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.11.2017Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov and Andrzej Kasprzyk mull current situation on contact line
- 02.11.2017Armenia resorts to provocation on border with Azerbaijan
- 02.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.11.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund exceed AZN 86 mln
- 01.11.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 31.10.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,500 times in October
- 31.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 30.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 103 times
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijan successfully conducts evaluation of Naval Forces Boarding Party on NATO standards
- 27.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijani, German defense ministries hold bilateral talks
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers return from Afghanistan
- 26.10.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 91 times
- 25.10.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 25.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijan, Iran discuss military cooperation
- 24.10.2017Baku hosts first meeting of joint working group on Azerbaijan-Iran military co-op
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijan to produce two other types of drones
- 07.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 119 times
- 09.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.03.2017Armenia suffered about 30 losses in last five days - Azerbaijani MoD
- 03.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 265 times