Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Over the last 24 hours, Armenian armed forces have 145 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry told APA on Feb. 28.
The Armenian military was using 60- and 82-mm mortars, large-caliber machine guns, and grenade launchers (68 shells) to shell the Azerbaijani army positions.
Armenian armed units stationed on nameless heights and in Paravakar village of Armenia’s Ijevan district opened fire at the positions of Azerbaijani armed forces located on nameless heights of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions located on nameless heights and in Aghdam, Munjuglu villages of Azerbaijan’s Tovuz district came under fire from the Armenian positions located on nameless heights and in Mosesgeh, Aygedzor villages of Armenia’s Berd district.
The Azerbaijani army positions were also shelled from the Armenian positions located in the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh and Chilaburt villages of Terter district, Garagashli and Shikhlar villages of Aghdam district, Garakhanbeyli, Horadiz and Ashaghi Veysalli village of Fuzuli district as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam and Fuzuli districts of Azerbaijan.
In accordance with the operational situation, the Azerbaijani Army took adequate retaliatory actions against the enemy.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of Command-Staff War Games
- 20.11.2017NATO Days in Azerbaijan Armed Forces
- 20.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.11.2017The troops of the Nakhchivan garrison continue activity in the Command-Staff War Games - VIDEO
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister holds meeting with command staff involved in war games
- 17.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan sign plan for military cooperation
- 16.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani army to hold command-staff war games
- 15.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 14.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 10.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.11.2017Defense minister addresses NATO meeting
- 09.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 08.11.2017Military experts of Azerbaijan and Germany hold meeting
- 08.11.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 08.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.11.2017Military attachés accredited to Azerbaijan visit Naval Forces
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister to attend NATO meeting
- 07.11.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 07.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 133 times
- 06.11.2017Azerbaijan to institute ‘Rashadat’ order for Armed Forces
- 06.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 03.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves agreement on training of Afghan servicemen in Azerbaijan
- 03.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.11.2017Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov and Andrzej Kasprzyk mull current situation on contact line
- 02.11.2017Armenia resorts to provocation on border with Azerbaijan
- 02.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.11.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund exceed AZN 86 mln
- 01.11.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 31.10.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,500 times in October
- 31.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 30.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 103 times
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijan successfully conducts evaluation of Naval Forces Boarding Party on NATO standards
- 27.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijani, German defense ministries hold bilateral talks
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers return from Afghanistan
- 28.02.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 28.02.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier laid to rest
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani soldier dies of wounds after Armenian provocation
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry: Reports of Azerbaijani soldier's death ‘fake’
- 27.02.2017Bodies of Azerbaijani servicemen evacuated from battlefield – MoD
- 27.02.2017Armenian reports aimed at disrupting ongoing humanitarian operation, Azerbaijan says