Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan 3,756 times in May
In May 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 3,756 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according to the results of the APA’s calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
Armenians were using large-caliber machine guns, 60-, 82- and 120-mm mortars and grenade launchers while shelling the Azerbaijani army positions.
In May, the Azerbaijani army positions in the districts of Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Tartar, Khojavand, Goranboy, Gazakh, Gadabay, Tovuz, Goygol and Agstafa were shelled from the Armenian army positions.
Last month the Armenian side continued its provocative actions in order to escalate the situation along the line of contact. The Azerbaijani army took full control of the operational situation on the frontline.
The Armenian army also shelled Azerbaijan’s settlements in various directions. As a result of adequate response measures, Azerbaijani armed forces suppressed the enemy shelling.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army prevented a large-scale provocation planned by the Armenian side in the country’s Tartar district.
“As a result of the operative measures, reliable information was received on the plans of the intelligence service of the armed forces and special services of Armenia to carry out large-scale provocative activities against our military units and settlements located in the direction of Tartar district. As a result of effective and preventive measures, enemy’s plan was timely elicited,” Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry reported on May 5.
In addition, the Azerbaijani armed forces destroyed an Osa surface-to-air missile system of the Armenian army on May 15.
“On May 15, an Osa surface-to-air missile system, belonging to the Armenian Air Defense Forces, was taken to a new position on the frontline in the Fuzuli-Khojavand direction and an attempt was made to take control over airspace. The Osa missile system, a re-supply vehicle and personnel of the Armenian army were destroyed in order to eliminate the real threat to Azerbaijani aircraft and suppress the enemy’s activity,” the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of plant for production of components for revolver-type grenade launchers in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017No incident during OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates plant for production of components for grenade launcher in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan denies Armenian reports on infiltration attempt and military losses
- 23.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 22.06.2017The opening of the two new military camps were held in the frontline zone
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of large-scale drills
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia once again used combat drones
- 22.06.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 22.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian UAV
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan releases footage of captured Armenian sabotage group member
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan captures Armenian sabotage group member
- 20.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on two military servicemen
- 20.06.2017Four colonels of Azerbaijani army promoted to rank of major general
- 20.06.2017Armenian provocation intercepted at Azerbaijan-Iran border
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani army continues large-scale exercises
- 20.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani army starts large-scale drills
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement on latest situation on frontline
- 17.06.2017Defense ministry: Five Armenian servicemen were killed on frontline
- 17.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets graduates of Higher Military School
- 16.06.2017Unexploded aerial bomb found in Azerbaijan’s Ganja
- 16.06.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier laid to rest
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani army to conduct large-scale exercises
- 16.06.2017Defense minister: Enemy should know that Nakhchivan is defended by most professional army
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey stage joint military drills in Nakhchivan
- 16.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 129 times
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani soldier killed during Armenian provocation
- 15.06.2017Combat engineer units of Azerbaijani army hold tactical exercises
- 14.06.2017Foreign military attachés visit Azerbaijani military unit
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey continue joint military drills
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian special forces continue joint exercises
- 13.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.06.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister meets with Commander of Land Forces of Turkey
- 12.06.2017ANAMA disarms 499 UXOs, nearly 100 mines in May 2017
- 12.06.2017Azerbaijani and Turkish armed forces begin joint tactical exercises in Nakhchivan
- 10.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using machine guns, mortars
- 09.06.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia's special forces continue joint exercises
- 01.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani army destroys two Armenian military facilities
- 01.06.2017NATO rep praises Azerbaijani servicemen’s professionalism in peacekeeping operations
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani President issues order on conscription
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani military captures video-surveillance device of Armenian army
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijan destroys Armenian army's firing point