Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan 3,756 times in May
In May 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 3,756 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according to the results of the APA’s calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
Armenians were using large-caliber machine guns, 60-, 82- and 120-mm mortars and grenade launchers while shelling the Azerbaijani army positions.
In May, the Azerbaijani army positions in the districts of Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Tartar, Khojavand, Goranboy, Gazakh, Gadabay, Tovuz, Goygol and Agstafa were shelled from the Armenian army positions.
Last month the Armenian side continued its provocative actions in order to escalate the situation along the line of contact. The Azerbaijani army took full control of the operational situation on the frontline.
The Armenian army also shelled Azerbaijan’s settlements in various directions. As a result of adequate response measures, Azerbaijani armed forces suppressed the enemy shelling.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army prevented a large-scale provocation planned by the Armenian side in the country’s Tartar district.
“As a result of the operative measures, reliable information was received on the plans of the intelligence service of the armed forces and special services of Armenia to carry out large-scale provocative activities against our military units and settlements located in the direction of Tartar district. As a result of effective and preventive measures, enemy’s plan was timely elicited,” Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry reported on May 5.
In addition, the Azerbaijani armed forces destroyed an Osa surface-to-air missile system of the Armenian army on May 15.
“On May 15, an Osa surface-to-air missile system, belonging to the Armenian Air Defense Forces, was taken to a new position on the frontline in the Fuzuli-Khojavand direction and an attempt was made to take control over airspace. The Osa missile system, a re-supply vehicle and personnel of the Armenian army were destroyed in order to eliminate the real threat to Azerbaijani aircraft and suppress the enemy’s activity,” the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Azerbaijan's Chief of General Staff of Armed Forces departs for USA
- 21.10.2017Azerbaijan defense minister orders troops to immediately suppress enemy provocations
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani defense minister checks combat readiness of new anti-aircraft missiles
- 20.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.10.2017British military attaché: We appreciate Azerbaijan’s efforts to cooperate with NATO
- 19.10.2017Major General rank conferred to Khanbala Orujov
- 19.10.201725 documents signed at Baku session of CIS Border Troops Commanders Council
- 19.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 137 times
- 18.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 122 times
- 17.10.2017Foreign military attachés visit Azerbaijani Air Force Base
- 17.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian Armed Forces sign joint protocol
- 17.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Turkish and Georgian Armed Forces hold meeting in Tbilisi - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s successful military ops in April 2016 highlighted at Tbilisi meeting
- 17.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss military cooperation
- 17.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian Armed Forces to hold meeting
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan-Georgia military cooperation discussed in Tbilisi
- 16.10.2017Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov meets Chief of Georgian General Staff
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani defense minister embarks on visit to Tbilisi
- 16.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Turkish Armed Forces to meet in Tbilisi
- 16.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Field firings carried out from “Buk-MB” anti-aircraft missile systems - VIDEO
- 14.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 13.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017U.S. considers Azerbaijan key partner in fight against terrorism: Pentagon
- 12.10.2017Rocket, artillery formations of Azerbaijani Army stage live-fire drills - VİDEO
- 12.10.2017Zakir Hasanov attends meeting of CIS Defense Ministers Council
- 12.10.2017Tajik president meets with defense ministers of CIS member states
- 12.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.10.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 116 times
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister gets acquainted with Belarusian-made military hardware
- 10.10.2017Zakir Hasanov meets with State Secretary of Belarusian Security Council
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 10.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.10.2017Prospects of Belarus-Azerbaijan military, technical cooperation discussed in Minsk
- 09.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.10.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister familiarizes with military equipment produced by Belarusian defense industry
- 08.10.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister starts official visit to Belarus
- 07.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 90 times
- 01.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani army destroys two Armenian military facilities
- 01.06.2017NATO rep praises Azerbaijani servicemen’s professionalism in peacekeeping operations
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani President issues order on conscription
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani military captures video-surveillance device of Armenian army
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijan destroys Armenian army's firing point