Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan 3,756 times in May
In May 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 3,756 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according to the results of the APA’s calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
Armenians were using large-caliber machine guns, 60-, 82- and 120-mm mortars and grenade launchers while shelling the Azerbaijani army positions.
In May, the Azerbaijani army positions in the districts of Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Tartar, Khojavand, Goranboy, Gazakh, Gadabay, Tovuz, Goygol and Agstafa were shelled from the Armenian army positions.
Last month the Armenian side continued its provocative actions in order to escalate the situation along the line of contact. The Azerbaijani army took full control of the operational situation on the frontline.
The Armenian army also shelled Azerbaijan’s settlements in various directions. As a result of adequate response measures, Azerbaijani armed forces suppressed the enemy shelling.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army prevented a large-scale provocation planned by the Armenian side in the country’s Tartar district.
“As a result of the operative measures, reliable information was received on the plans of the intelligence service of the armed forces and special services of Armenia to carry out large-scale provocative activities against our military units and settlements located in the direction of Tartar district. As a result of effective and preventive measures, enemy’s plan was timely elicited,” Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry reported on May 5.
In addition, the Azerbaijani armed forces destroyed an Osa surface-to-air missile system of the Armenian army on May 15.
“On May 15, an Osa surface-to-air missile system, belonging to the Armenian Air Defense Forces, was taken to a new position on the frontline in the Fuzuli-Khojavand direction and an attempt was made to take control over airspace. The Osa missile system, a re-supply vehicle and personnel of the Armenian army were destroyed in order to eliminate the real threat to Azerbaijani aircraft and suppress the enemy’s activity,” the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 19.08.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.08.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry dismisses another Armenian disinformation
- 18.08.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 17.08.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.08.2017President awards State Border Service employees
- 16.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 15.08.2017Current situation in the front-line units of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces has been checked
- 15.08.2017State Border Service holds large-scale exercises in Caspian Sea
- 15.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 14.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 13.08.2017Iranian warships left Baku port
- 13.08.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister took part in closing ceremony of “International Army Games-2017” - PHOTOSESSION
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijan and Russia intend to develop military-technical cooperation
- 12.08.2017Russian warships leave Baku port
- 11.08.2017Zakir Hasanov departs for Moscow on a visit
- 11.08.2017Closing ceremony of Sea Cup 2017 held in Baku
- 11.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 10.08.2017"Sea Cup-2017" international contest’s winners determined
- 10.08.2017General: Armenia’s intention to compensate its defeats on frontline in virtual space is failure
- 10.08.2017Last episode of "Sea Cup - 2017" contest completed
- 10.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.08.2017Baku to host final stage of 'Sea Cup - 2017' int'l contest
- 09.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 08.08.2017Repair and maintenance center for armored fighting vehicles opened in Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani military sailors achieved next success at 'Sea Cup - 2017'
- 08.08.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 07.08.2017Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan conducting joint naval exercises
- 07.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 146 times
- 06.08.2017“G-124” warship of Azerbaijan Naval Forces successfully fired at sea target - VİDEO
- 05.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 141 times
- 04.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 138 times
- 03.08.2017Next stage of "Sea Cup - 2017" contest to involve MiG-29 fighter aircrafts
- 03.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 141 times
- 02.08.2017Azerbaijani servicemen presented samples of culture in the House of Friendship
- 02.08.2017Artillery fire will be conducted on sea targets in "Sea Cup - 2017" contest
- 02.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 01.08.2017President: Azerbaijan’s hosting “Sea Cup – 2017” proves its increasing prestige in the world
- 01.08.2017Nearly 300 personnel to join “Sea Cup – 2017” in Baku
- 01.08.2017Solemn opening ceremony of "Masters of Artillery Fire" and "Sniper Frontier" contests held in Kazakhstan
- 01.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani army destroys two Armenian military facilities
- 01.06.2017NATO rep praises Azerbaijani servicemen’s professionalism in peacekeeping operations
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani President issues order on conscription
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani military captures video-surveillance device of Armenian army
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijan destroys Armenian army's firing point