Armenia violated ceasefire nearly 4,000 times in March
In March 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 3,964 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according to the results of the APA’s calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
The Armenian military used sniper rifles, D-44 artillery guns, large-caliber machine guns, 60-, 82- and 120-mm mortars, grenade launchers to shell the Azerbaijani army positions.
Last month, the Armenian side resorted to sabotage infiltration attempt on the frontline. The Azerbaijani army successfully prevented all the sabotage attempts. The Azerbaijani army fully controlled the operational situation along the line of contact.
In addition, in an adequate response to the Armenian side, the Azerbaijani armed forces destroyed a reinforced headquarters of the enemy’s strongholds, in the direction of the occupied Khojavand">Khojavand district of Azerbaijan. The Armenian side suffered heavy losses. A sabotage and reconnaissance group of the Armenian armed forces once again attempted to attack the Azerbaijani army positions in the Aghdere">Aghdere-Terter direction of the frontline. As a result of an armed clash, the Armenian side suffered losses and was forced to retreat.
Armenian military vehicle was also destroyed last month. Armenian army lost 5 servicemen as the Azerbaijani armed forces inflicted an artillery strike on an Armenian stronghold.
The Azerbaijan’s Air Force air defense units timely detected and destroyed X-55 unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) belonging to the Armenian army. The UAV was shot down while attempting to carry out reconnaissance flights near Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district.
Azerbaijani soldier Abbasov Hasanali was killed as the Armenian armed forces shelled the positions of the Azerbaijani army last month.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includesNagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam,Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCEMinsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2017Defense Ministry comments on Armenian Defense Minister's statement on losses
- 28.06.2017Azerbaijani Defense Minister to attend NATO meeting
- 28.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 146 times
- 27.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 26.06.2017‘Open Doors Day’ held in Azerbaijani Armed Forces
- 26.06.2017Letters from citizens delivered to soldiers via www.esgeremektub.com
- 26.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 155 times
- 26.06.2017Today is Day of Azerbaijani Armed Forces
- 24.06.2017Russia delivers modern military equipment to Azerbaijan
- 24.06.2017Zakir Hasanov: Azerbaijani soldiers proved to whole world that they are able to liberate native lands
- 24.06.2017Armenians violate ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani Armed Forces capable of fulfilling all tasks – defense minister
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of plant for production of components for revolver-type grenade launchers in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017No incident during OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates plant for production of components for grenade launcher in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan denies Armenian reports on infiltration attempt and military losses
- 23.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 22.06.2017The opening of the two new military camps were held in the frontline zone
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of large-scale drills
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia once again used combat drones
- 22.06.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 22.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian UAV
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan releases footage of captured Armenian sabotage group member
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan captures Armenian sabotage group member
- 20.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on two military servicemen
- 20.06.2017Four colonels of Azerbaijani army promoted to rank of major general
- 20.06.2017Armenian provocation intercepted at Azerbaijan-Iran border
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani army continues large-scale exercises
- 20.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani army starts large-scale drills
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement on latest situation on frontline
- 17.06.2017Defense ministry: Five Armenian servicemen were killed on frontline
- 17.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets graduates of Higher Military School
- 16.06.2017Unexploded aerial bomb found in Azerbaijan’s Ganja
- 16.06.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier laid to rest
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani army to conduct large-scale exercises
- 16.06.2017Defense minister: Enemy should know that Nakhchivan is defended by most professional army
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey stage joint military drills in Nakhchivan
- 01.04.2017Armenian armed units shell Azerbaijani positions with mortars
- 03.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 03.04.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund top AZN 81M
- 31.03.2017Army officers speak about April victory of Azerbaijani army
- 31.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.03.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 143 times in 24 hours