Armenia violated ceasefire nearly 4,000 times in March
In March 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 3,964 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according to the results of the APA’s calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
The Armenian military used sniper rifles, D-44 artillery guns, large-caliber machine guns, 60-, 82- and 120-mm mortars, grenade launchers to shell the Azerbaijani army positions.
Last month, the Armenian side resorted to sabotage infiltration attempt on the frontline. The Azerbaijani army successfully prevented all the sabotage attempts. The Azerbaijani army fully controlled the operational situation along the line of contact.
In addition, in an adequate response to the Armenian side, the Azerbaijani armed forces destroyed a reinforced headquarters of the enemy’s strongholds, in the direction of the occupied Khojavand">Khojavand district of Azerbaijan. The Armenian side suffered heavy losses. A sabotage and reconnaissance group of the Armenian armed forces once again attempted to attack the Azerbaijani army positions in the Aghdere">Aghdere-Terter direction of the frontline. As a result of an armed clash, the Armenian side suffered losses and was forced to retreat.
Armenian military vehicle was also destroyed last month. Armenian army lost 5 servicemen as the Azerbaijani armed forces inflicted an artillery strike on an Armenian stronghold.
The Azerbaijan’s Air Force air defense units timely detected and destroyed X-55 unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) belonging to the Armenian army. The UAV was shot down while attempting to carry out reconnaissance flights near Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district.
Azerbaijani soldier Abbasov Hasanali was killed as the Armenian armed forces shelled the positions of the Azerbaijani army last month.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includesNagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam,Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCEMinsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018OCC reconnaissance company SEL exercises finish in Baku
- 25.05.2018Armenia launches military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 25.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 24.05.2018Distinguished Visitors Day held during OCC reconnaissance company exercises
- 24.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2018SEL exercises kick off in Baku as part of Operational Capabilities Concept - VİDEO
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets NATO generals
- 23.05.2018Armenian soldier found dead at combat position
- 23.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 88 times
- 21.05.2018Baku: Armenian reports on alleged involvement of tactical, military aircraft in drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands ‘exaggerated’
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani serviceman killed in Armenian provocation laid to rest
- 21.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 102 times
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s economic growth, increasing military potential brought Armenia to collapse, says defense minister
- 18.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets heads of Turkish, Georgian military educational institutions
- 17.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Combines Arms Army stages live-fire drills in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev views Combined Army Unit’s training and educational center, inaugurates newly built military hospital
- 16.05.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 16.05.2018Baku hosts meeting of chiefs of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian high military educational institutions
- 16.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 92 times
- 15.05.2018Baku hosts NATO Standing Group of Partner Logistics Experts meeting
- 15.05.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister inaugurates several military facilities
- 14.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.05.2018Defense Minister: "Azerbaijan Army is fully prepared for large-scale combat operations"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani army capable of performing most challenging tasks: presidential aide
- 11.05.2018Hand grenade and cartridges of various calibers found in Baku
- 11.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan Defense Minister visits "Efes-2018" Exercises Management Center
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan defense minister watches "Efes-2018" int’l exercises
- 10.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan’s high-ranking military officers pay tribute to national hero Albert Agarunov
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit Turkey
- 08.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 07.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2017Armenian armed units shell Azerbaijani positions with mortars
- 03.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 03.04.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund top AZN 81M
- 31.03.2017Army officers speak about April victory of Azerbaijani army
- 31.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.03.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 143 times in 24 hours