Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan 3,592 times in April
In April 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 3,592 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according to the results of the APA’s calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
The Armenian military used sniper rifles, large-caliber machine guns, 60- and 82-mm mortars to shell the Azerbaijani army positions.
Last month, the Armenian side resorted to sabotage infiltration attempt on the frontline. Armenian air defense units launched a guided missile from the Osa surface-to-air missile system in the Khojavand-Fuzuli direction of the front. The guided missile fell on an empty area controlled by the Azerbaijani army.
Furthermore, Armenian armed units fired at Gapanli village of Terter district from 60-mm mortars in April. The civilian’s personal farm was damaged.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Artsrun Hovhannisyan continues to surprise people with his stupid comments
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani SBS issues statement on border shootout, wounded soldier awarded medal - UPDATED
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani army liberates strategic heights, controls winery in Nakhchivan - VİDEO
- 21.06.2018OSCE permanent representatives arrive in Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 20.06.2018Turkish servicemen arrive in Azerbaijan to participate in festive events
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani army conducts field exercises - PHOTOSESSION
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani defense minister calls on media to be sensitive while reporting solider deaths
- 20.06.2018Zakir Hasanov: Supreme Commander-in-Chief diplomatically brought down Sargsyan gov’t, without using weaponry
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani state meets all needs of army, says defense minister
- 20.06.2018Defense minister: Azerbaijani army now controls road to Lachin
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani army owns most advanced missile, artillery systems: defense minister
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani army fully ready and able to fulfill any command – defense minister
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MoD releases video about liberation of Gunnut village - VİDEO
- 20.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters continue flights over Baku in preparation for parade
- 19.06.2018Minister of Defense participates in opening of military unit of Rocket and Artillery Troops in frontline zone
- 19.06.2018Next tactical UAV belonging to Armenia destroyed
- 19.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 95 times
- 18.06.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.06.2018Azerbaijan’s defense minister: Our army must always be ready to suppress provocation of enemy
- 16.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijani Army Corps exercises successfully completed
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters continue flights over Baku in preparation for parade
- 15.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 94 times
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani military conducts practical firing from DANA self-propelled artillery systems
- 14.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani army’s rocket, artillery formations conduct live-fire exercises - VİDEO
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan’s IFV crews improve combat skills
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters conduct flights over Baku in preparation for parade - UPDATED
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan, Georgia sign agreement on activities of border commissioners
- 13.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan’s missile units conduct practical firing exercises - VIDEO
- 12.06.2018Polonez systems now at disposal of Azerbaijani Army - VIDEO
- 12.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan exhibits defense products at Eurosatory 2018 in Paris
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Defense Ministry’s military unit - UPDATED
- 11.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan defense minister attends NATO meeting
- 08.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey continue joint live-fire tactical exercises
- 02.05.2017Brussels hosts discussion in "NATO + Azerbaijan" format
- 01.05.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund exceed AZN 81M
- 01.05.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey launch joint military drills
- 01.05.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan